[comp.sys.atari.st] Help Wanted: Chicken & Egg Problem

ivan@megatest.UUCP (Ivan Batinic) (11/29/90)

	This is probably a ridiculous question; I have been a SW
engineer for over a decade, but never used an ST.  My brother has one
and has used it primarily to run MIDI equipment.  Now he has a lot of
hardware he wants to hang on to.  He wants to do some 'real computer'
stuff on his 1040.  So much for the intro.

	My understanding (from observing this newsgroup for a while)
is that there are "UNIXish" pgms out there -- lots of them.  Are you
people running UNIX? and if so, where did you get it?  McGraw Hill is
the only place I've heard of.  How much is it?  Is is 4.2 or sysIV
compatible?

	Or, am I way off base -- I dunno (AAARGH!).  What we do have
is the PD version of uniterm.  And a host machine (obviously).
Therefore we can get some code from the net, but we don't have
'uudecode', 'compress' and/or other UNIX-type stuff you people must
have.

	And that's the chicken & egg problem we are trying to resolve.
Before any of you get upset at such an uninformed question, there
appears to be only 2 stores in the entire Silicon Valley which deal in
Atari, and I was unimpressed with their assistance (no offense to
their knowledge on marketted software).  Once we have the basics, I
promise to submit more intelligent articles (if any).  Please include
any archiver info, so we can get a list of what's out there.

	Many thanks in advance!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
        Email:	{sun,decwrl,fortune,pyramid}!megatest!ivan

	Disclaimer:

		All opinions expressed herein are my own, do not necessarily
		reflect those of my employer, and, are quite possibly worth-
		less.  My condolences to those who agree with them.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk (Julian Coleman) (12/06/90)

>    Or, am I way off base -- I dunno (AAARGH!).  What we do have
> is the PD version of uniterm.  And a host machine (obviously).
> Therefore we can get some code from the net, but we don't have
> 'uudecode', 'compress' and/or other UNIX-type stuff you people must
> have.

>    And that's the chicken & egg problem we are trying to resolve.

Would it be an idea if there was a 'starter pack' available on an FTP site
( e.g. Atari.Archive )?  This could consist of uudecode / arc / lharc / zoo
etc. and be in the form of a self-unpacking archive.  Thus, when this was
downloaded, the 'chicken & egg' situation would be resolved.

If there is any interest, I'll make one up and upload it.

  +---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
  |       Julian Coleman      |       J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk        |
  +---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
  |      Department of Surveying, University of Newcastle upon Tyne      |
  |      Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, England.     +44 91 222 6739      |
  | "Is it safe?"                                                        |
  | "Oh yes, *it's* perfectly safe, it's just *us* who are in trouble!"  |
  |     Hitch Hikers' Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams                |

D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Johnson) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec6.103859.12817@newcastle.ac.uk>,
J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk (Julian Coleman) writes:
>>    Or, am I way off base -- I dunno (AAARGH!).  What we do have
>> is the PD version of uniterm.  And a host machine (obviously).
>> Therefore we can get some code from the net, but we don't have
>> 'uudecode', 'compress' and/or other UNIX-type stuff you people must
>> have.
>
>>    And that's the chicken & egg problem we are trying to resolve.
>
>Would it be an idea if there was a 'starter pack' available on an FTP site
>( e.g. Atari.Archive )?  This could consist of uudecode / arc / lharc / zoo
>etc. and be in the form of a self-unpacking archive.  Thus, when this was
>downloaded, the 'chicken & egg' situation would be resolved.
>
>If there is any interest, I'll make one up and upload it.
>
>  +---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
>  |       Julian Coleman      |       J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk        |
>  +---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
>  |      Department of Surveying, University of Newcastle upon Tyne      |
>  |      Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, England.     +44 91 222 6739      |
>  +----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>  | "Is it safe?"                                                        |
>  | "Oh yes, *it's* perfectly safe, it's just *us* who are in trouble!"  |
>  |     Hitch Hikers' Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams                |

	For those in the UK, Lancaster university FTP site has a directory
(p99) in the atari section which contains all the software: eg
arc,lharc,zoo,uudecode,uuencode. It has the code for uudecode in both C
and old atari Basic as a bootstrap to get the actual version of uudecode
to work. More detaisl from them.

Hope this helps

Dave