[comp.sys.atari.st] Microsoft Mouse

jvl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van Loenen) (11/13/90)

Hi,

Last month my original Atari mouse died (after three years intensive use),
and I have to replace it.
Is it possible to connect a MicroSoft mouse? What additional hardware
(and software ?) do I need?
I own a 1040ST / TOS 1.4.
If it is not possible, what would be a good replacement for the Atari mouse?

Thanks in advance.

Jan van Loenen                         Internet   jvl@idca.tds.philips.nl
Philips Information Systems            UUCP       ....!mcvax!philapd!jvl

ge@wn3.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (11/13/90)

jvl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van Loenen) writes:

>Hi,

>Last month my original Atari mouse died (after three years intensive use),
>and I have to replace it.
>Is it possible to connect a MicroSoft mouse? What additional hardware
>(and software ?) do I need?
>I own a 1040ST / TOS 1.4.

It is possible. I've got a flaky but usually working driver for a Genius mouse
in 3-button mode, but rewriting it for the MicroSoft mode is almost trivial.
I have not figured out how to make the driver more stable, though.

Source code in Turbo-C + assembler available on request.

Ge' Weijers
--
Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/14/90)

jvl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van Loenen) writes:

- Last month my original Atari mouse died (after three years
- intensive use), and I have to replace it.  Is it possible to
- connect a MicroSoft mouse? What additional hardware (and software ?)
- do I need?  I own a 1040ST / TOS 1.4.  If it is not possible, what
- would be a good replacement for the Atari mouse?

The available replacement mice don't need addition software.

I think I heard here that the Konyo mouse is a Microsoft mouse
adapted for the ST.  Otherwise, a lot of people like the Golden Image
mouse.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu (Perry Pederson) (11/14/90)

In article <1154@ssp18.idca.tds.philips.nl> jvl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van Loenen) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Last month my original Atari mouse died (after three years intensive use),
>and I have to replace it.
>If it is not possible, what would be a good replacement for the Atari mouse?

	My Atari mouse died last week, and I swore that I would never
buy similar one: Often the buttons on it would not work without
spending a lot of time adjusting the two philips screws on the back,
and I had a constant problem with the sensors in the mouse going out--
I have spent many hours twiddling around with the innards, attempting
to get the mouse to stop converting "down" movements to "up"
movements.  Very frustrating.

	Last week I ordered the Golden Image mouse for about $52.00,
including two-day delivery from a mail order company (I believe it was
Computability)  I wish I had ordered this mouse *years* ago.  It
weighs hardly anything, literally floats on the mouse pad, has at
least three feet of mouse cable, and the buttons have a definate
"click" to them; they are "true" mechanical buttons as opposed to the
Atari's plastic "push-me-downs".  The mouse also has a built-in
accellerator; the movements are fantastically speeded up, esp. with
software accelerators.  I am one happy user with this mouse, and my
only regret with the Golden Image mouse is that I didn't buy it years
ago, even when my Atari Mouse was working.

BTW, I am not associated with Golden Image, or any other computer firm
whatsoever.  I just know what I like.

     *****   *******      Perry Pederson:  email: n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu
    *           *			   GEnie: P.PEDERSON
     ****       *		           Voice: (206) 676-2536
	 *      *
    *****       *
     +++++      +
	  +	+	'I' before 'E' except after 'C'....
       +++	 +
      +		 +		... We sure live in a weird society!
       +++++   ++++++

wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) (11/15/90)

STUFF DELETED
> The available replacement mice don't need addition software.
>
> I think I heard here that the Konyo mouse is a Microsoft mouse
> adapted for the ST.  Otherwise, a lot of people like the Golden Image
> mouse.
>
> --
>          Ed Krimen  ...............................................
MORE STUFF DELETED
Does anyone in net land have any first hand knowledge of the Golden
Image Optical Mouse. Is it better then the BEST mouse etc.

Thanks
Bill Oswald
aloft!wao

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (11/15/90)

In <1990Nov14.182501.21513@cbnewsm.att.com>, william.a.oswald writes:
>STUFF DELETED
>Does anyone in net land have any first hand knowledge of the Golden
>Image Optical Mouse. Is it better then the BEST mouse etc.
>
>Thanks
>Bill Oswald
>aloft!wao

	I bought the Golden Image mouse after my fourth Atari mouse went
uncontrollably berserk. I like it a lot. It was difficult to get used to
at first. It sends pulses so fast the keyboard chip can get confused and
the mouse pointer won't go where you tell it too. It takes a while to get
the feel right.
	I don't know how many people have had trouble with the ST Mouse,
but a friend of mine who works for Triuf here in BC has found the problem
for one common problem. If the mouse slowly starts to lose one direction
( refuse to go left in all the mice I've had) it is caused by the opto-
transistor's bias wandering from spec.( cheap part ). The biasing resistor
for that transistor can be replaced with one with a slightly different
resistance, and the mouse will work again for a while until the transistor
deteriorates further. I kept my last mouse working for about six extra months
by increasing the resistance when it started to screw up again.
	If there's sufficient interest,I'll try to get my friend to work
up a file describing the fix. Interestingly enough, this only seems to happen
with the Tiawanese mice. Two people I know have the Japanese and German
mice and they haven't had any problems. Both of thtose mice are 3+ years old.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

kawakami@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (11/16/90)

In article <1154@ssp18.idca.tds.philips.nl> jvl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van Loenen) writes:
>If it is not possible, what would be a good replacement for the Atari mouse?

Overall, the Microsoft Mouse conversion projects are a raw deal in my opinion.
First, you have to find a DB-9 connector that will plug into the ST port (look
and see what I mean) then you have to cut the cable.

Besides, there's a mouse rennaissance going on.  Something called the Golden
Image mouse is supposedly a MS repackaged.  There is one based on the Genius
Mouse (Yechh) another on the Amiga's (yechh) the infrared cordless from
Practical Solns. (yayy) and one from Logitech (yesssss).  Generally, they
are all $60 or less, except the cordless.

John Kawakami                  kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu
                               ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!kawakami
Amateur crank!                 My Atari Macks!

entropy@mole.ai.mit.edu (Nick Castellano) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov16.084108.11378@agate.berkeley.edu> kawakami@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) writes:
>In article <1154@ssp18.idca.tds.philips.nl> jvl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van Loenen) writes:
>>If it is not possible, what would be a good replacement for the Atari mouse?
>>

>Overall, the Microsoft Mouse conversion projects are a raw deal in my opinion.
>First, you have to find a DB-9 connector that will plug into the ST port (look
>and see what I mean) then you have to cut the cable.

One solution to the problem of fitting DB-9's with large housings into
the ST is to go to your local electronics store (Radio Shack, for
example) and buy a joystick extension cord.  Plug one end into the
mouse port, and then plug the fat connector into the other end.  Make
sure the cable you get has all 9 pins connected (the Radio Shack one
does.)  This also makes it easier to connect/disconnect the mouse and
joysticks.

>John Kawakami                  kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu
>                               ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!kawakami
>Amateur crank!                 My Atari Macks!

Disclaimer:  I used to work for Radio Shack.  This article is not
intended to be an advertisement for either Radio Shack or Tandy
Corporation, and is for informational purposes only.  Thank you.

--
  | | |   entropy@mole.ai.mit.edu
  | | |   ncastellano@{eagle.wesleyan.edu, wesleyan.bitnet}
 /  |  \  Sinkhole!dEADHEAd[@mast.citadel.moundst.mn.org] (call 203-873-8518)
/   |   \

t-mikewa@microsoft.UUCP (Michael WARNING) (11/17/90)

>>Last month my original Atari mouse died (after three years intensive use),
>>and I have to replace it.
>>Is it possible to connect a MicroSoft mouse? What additional hardware
>>(and software ?) do I need?
>>I own a 1040ST / TOS 1.4.

It's really easy to modify a Microsoft InPort mouse to work with the ST.  Been
working fine for me for about a year now.  I don't have the directions on me,
but send some mail, and I'll figure out how I did it and send the directions...
All you need is a DB-9 and a soldering iron, no drivers necessary.

					Mike

mccann@rbdc (Mike McCann) (11/21/90)

f your mouse was/is converting up to down and vice versa

sometimes, you have a well known virus...

EOF

jon@DARTH.CC.MCGILL.CA (Jonathan Carroll) (12/07/90)

I've been following the thread on the Microsoft Mouse with some interest as my fourth Atari
mouse in five years is about ready to bite the dust.  I've got a Mega and the MS Mouse fits
fine in the mouse port but I get no response from the mouse at all-- it works on an IBM.

I thought I read awhile back that someone managed to do this-- or am I dreaming?  Are
there any wires to be crossed or some such thing?

I should add that I recently tried plugging the Microsoft Mouse in and *nothing* no
response from the ST whatsoever.

Jonathan
jon@darth.CC.McGill.CA