[comp.sys.atari.st] WordUp 3.0

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (06/12/90)

Well, it is now almost a full month after upgrade orders for
3.0 were to be "processed" if sent in on time (i.e. 5/15/90).
Has anybody heard anything yet?  Just curious, since I sent in
for my upgrade almost the same day as receiving the notice.
--Gerry

oscar@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Oscar DeMartino) (06/12/90)

In article <3695@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>Well, it is now almost a full month after upgrade orders for
>3.0 were to be "processed" if sent in on time (i.e. 5/15/90).
>Has anybody heard anything yet?  Just curious, since I sent in
>for my upgrade almost the same day as receiving the notice.
>--Gerry

I just talked to someone at the Neocept office and they said everything
was completed and the upgrades would be mailed out this week.

The time is 2:14pm PDT on 11 June 1990

The Neocept office number is (805)482-4446 in case anyone else wants
to call them and check that they really getting out.

--
Oscar "Fred" DeMartino - J.P.L. (818) 354-1295           J  PPP   L
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pas, CA. 91109  MS: 301-260A       J  P  P  L

zeitler@esseye.UUCP (David Zeitler) (06/12/90)

oscar@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Oscar DeMartino) writes:

>I just talked to someone at the Neocept office and they said everything
>was completed and the upgrades would be mailed out this week.

>The time is 2:14pm PDT on 11 June 1990

>The Neocept office number is (805)482-4446 in case anyone else wants
>to call them and check that they really getting out.

I will indeed call. As of 6/12 am, the only word I've heard is that my
check cleared the bank more than two weeks ago...

Dave Zeitler				zeitler@esseye.uu.net
Smith's Industries			zeitler@sol.cs.wmich.edu
Aerospace & Defense Systems Inc.	Ph: (616)241-8168
Grand Rapids Division
--
Dave Zeitler				zeitler@esseye.uu.net
Smith's Industries			zeitler@sol.cs.wmich.edu
Aerospace & Defense Systems Inc.	Ph: (616)241-8168
Grand Rapids Division

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (07/03/90)

Well, WordUp3.0 arrived today.  Unfortunately, my ST is away,
so I can't do anything with WordUp right now.  I do have a
question for those of you out there that did get 3.0:  I
thought this version was supposed to NOT use G
GDOS...but there are references to using GDOS in the manual
sent with the upgrade...can anyone explain what is going on?
I would be working on this more myself, but as I said, I don't
have my ST right now.
---Gerry

In article <3784@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>Well, WordUp3.0 arrived today.  Unfortunately, my ST is away,
>so I can't do anything with WordUp right now.  I do have a
>question for those of you out there that did get 3.0:  I
>thought this version was supposed to NOT use G
>GDOS...but there are references to using GDOS in the manual
>sent with the upgrade...can anyone explain what is going on?
>I would be working on this more myself, but as I said, I don't
>have my ST right now.
>---Gerry

I just got it today as well, and got it installed on my drive.
It seems to take up a lot more room than the 2.0 version did; but
it also comes with 700K worth of dictionary and thesaurus. At any
rate, the install program halted itself because I ran out of space
on my first try, and I had to scramble to get it all installed.

They're doing something funny with GDOS, hard to tell what or why.
At any rate, it replaces your ASSIGN.SYS file with a dummy file
that only has an entry for your printer driver, and a single
dummy entry for each screen resolution. It apparently relies on
itself to load fonts on demand, instead of listing them all out
in the assign.sys file.

Also, you can choose not to use the GDOS screen fonts if you're
tight on memory space. You can also choose not to use GDOS for
the printer. They provide a number of drivers to run a dot matrix
printer in its native modes, i.e., using the italics, boldfacing,
etc. features common on Epson FX style printers. (I was happy to
see that there's a KXP1091i driver for my printer...)

Of course, since this is the middle of summer and my school paper
writing demands are at an end, I haven't had much call to try
it out just yet. It looks pretty reasonable, though I was pretty
surprised at the small size of the new manual. (The format is
completely different, the tutorial stuff is all gone, and there's
no longer any attempt at hand-holding for folks new to computers
or the ST. A good idea, probably, since that sort of info can be
found so many other places.) I guess this is OK, but I really
appreciated the screen-shots and examples from the old manual.

The only thing I tried after I got it started was running with
Overscan, which didn't work. Oh well. It's got a lot to look into
though, so I guess I'll see when I've got something to write...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) (07/20/90)

I'm still looking for a half-decent word processor for my ST, especially
since WordPerfect tried to eat my e: partition AGAIN (it hates files
over 70 or 80 pages long). I'd like something reasonably programmable
(not too possible, I know), but most importantly, something with decent
font support. I do not need a spell-checker, although it would be nice.

THE POINT:

I (and I'm sure, many others on the net) would like to hear people's
reactions to WordUp 3.0. Is it the word processor that the ST has been
waiting for all these years, or another dud? I need to design and use
special characters on the screen and printer, and I like multiple
windows and something capable of handling a long (200-300 page) document
efficiently in a single file. An easy request on ANOTHER machine named
after a fruit...

David Megginson
BITNET: meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca

*******
PLEASE REPLY TO MY BITNET ADDRESS!!!
*******
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

rjung@alcor.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (07/23/90)

In article <eacad8f937b026a67068@canremote.uucp> david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) writes:
>I (and I'm sure, many others on the net) would like to hear people's
>reactions to WordUp 3.0. Is it the word processor that the ST has been
>waiting for all these years, or another dud? I need to design and use
>special characters on the screen and printer, and I like multiple
>windows and something capable of handling a long (200-300 page) document
>efficiently in a single file.

  Well, I like it, though I have not written any 200-page long documents with
it. WordUp 3.0 allows up to four windows open at once, with each window
containing a seperate document. The following goodies have been added from
the earlier versions of WordUp:

	* Multiple columns. Mark off a section, then choose the
	  number of columns and the space dividing them.

	* On-line thesarus and dictionary. The basic package comes
	  with a "simple" 116,000 word dictionary and thesarus
	  (with definitions). A deluxe version is also available.

	* More fonts. The package comes with a serif and sans serif
	  font, as well as "Book Sans" and "Book Serif", a Courier
	  (IBM typewriter) font, a fancy "Distinctive" font, and an
	  interesting sans serif called "Corporate". Any GDOS font
	  can be used as well, and a new system of font manipulation
	  allows the program to load in fonts only as needed.

	* A "Page preview" mode lets you see how and where your
	  elements will be printed out. Text is not really legible at
	  the preview, but it gives you an idea of where the page
	  breaks occur and whre columns, boxes, lines, text and
	  graphics will interplay.

  It's not a _perfect_ program; there are some minor gripes with it (screen
display refresh is less-than-lightning fast, and my version will
occassionally hang when I quit the program). I don't know how many pages
you can hold at once, but I suspect that's dependent on how much memory you
have. Inserting and manipulating graphics is fun and easy, so if you want
a low-grade desktop publiching program, this may be your cup of tea.

  Other small quibbles: The user's manual is _incredibly_ bare-bones this
time around, and there is still no support for true footnotes. If you can get
away with writing an appendix, or using endnotes, then that's fine. If
footnotes are an absolute necessity, you may need to look elsewhere.

  In summary? Well, if you need an ST WYSIWYG word processor that can do
a lot of Mac-like tricks, this is the program for you. You must be prepared
to spend some time learning the nuances of the program, though -- all of its
power and features do not come cheaply. A 7.5-8.0 on a 1-to-10 scale.

  Write if you want more opinionated ramblings.

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. If you get the program, be sure to look on GEnie or Compuserve for the
upgrade. The early releases of WordUp 3.0 (June 1990) have a few small
bugs that are fixed in the upgrade (mostly involving more memory consumption,
which would make the program crash if you tried to print).

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. If you want them, go for it!

					Send replies to rjung@nunki.usc.edu
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (07/23/90)

In article <10974@chaph.usc.edu> rjung@alcor.usc.edu (Robert  allen Jung) writes:
>In article <eacad8f937b026a67068@canremote.uucp> david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) writes:
>>I (and I'm sure, many others on the net) would like to hear people's
>>reactions to WordUp 3.0. Is it the word processor that the ST has been
>>waiting for all these years, or another dud? I need to design and use
>  Well, I like it, though I have not written any 200-page long documents with
>  In summary? Well, if you need an ST WYSIWYG word processor that can do
>a lot of Mac-like tricks, this is the program for you. You must be prepared
>to spend some time learning the nuances of the program, though -- all of its
>power and features do not come cheaply. A 7.5-8.0 on a 1-to-10 scale.

Well, I basically agree, i.e. it can do a lot of Mac-like
tricks.  In fact, I felt that v2.0 the most Mac-like
wordprocessor I had ever seen for the ST.  I really haven't
used 3.0 all that much, but it looks like there is much less
cursor flicker, which was distracting in 2.0, and it seems to
be quicker, too.  The main improvement made (as far as I'm
concerned) is the simplification of using GDOS.  I'm not %100
sure I understand it all, but it seems that you don't have all
the hassles with the ASSIGN.SYS file that you have in a
regular GDOS application (although, maybe G+PLUS would
alleviate this situation anyway).  My main problem with WordUp
is that it doesn't support continuous scrolling through a
document on the scroll bar with TOS 1.0.  I mentioned this to
Neocept as a potential enhancement for 2.0 to 3.0, but they
just told me to get TOS 1.4(which I don't see doing any time
soon) and that would all be taken care of.  Finally, remember
that you'll need a font editor to make your own special fonts.
FONTZ (also from Neocept) worked fine for me.
So, I guess that is it.  I feel this is the closest I've
gotten to wordprocessing like on a Mac on an ST...just
remember:  it still isn't a Mac (which is why I've got
Spectre!)
---Gerry

fsdmb3@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (DAVID M BRAUN) (07/27/90)

Thanks for the Wordup update, though you could have said that it was posted
somewere else.  I downloaded and unarchived the thing, installed and ran it.
But it bommed again, just as the open document window opened.  I was hoping
that the new revision would fix this, but Wordup doesn't  work with Revolver!
It would be so nice to be able to swap it in and have it running, but I guess
I have to uninstall Revolver, reboot and load it (taking 2-3 minutes to load off
my hard drive).  Even then the thing is very slow figuring out what font you
have selected in the font selector menu.  And although hyphenation is great
it isn't when the system crashes when you try to hyphenate a 6 or 7 page
report.  Could it have tripped over the graphic at the right margin?
  I felt the new manual was OK, EXCEPT for not telling you how much space
you have to clear on your hard drive for it to install (around 2 meg).  when
it takes 45 minutes to run the instalation program you would think they would
give you more of a hint than it comes on 5 SS disks.
  I guess I am just upset that WordUp isn't the Robust program that I wished it
was.  It can do some great things... if it doesn't crash on you.

PS:  can anyone remember what that program was that stops drive A from spinning
after bootup.  It was posted recently I think.  What causes this?
			Thanks for any input from anyone.            8-)
David M. Braun				     		    FSDMB3@ALASKA.BITNET
Samurai and Lizards, Reptiles and Samurai.     	     fsdmb3@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

simonian@x102c.ess.harris.com (simonian richard 66449) (12/08/90)

As a followup to WordUp 3.0 problems... I finally got mine to print on
an Epson printer.  Once I got that working, I was pretty happy with
the tool (except, of course, for Neocept's non-existent support).  Now
I've run into an apparent bug where blocks of text misteriously vanish.
Anyone else seen this happen?

Richard Simonian
Harris Space Systems Corp.  407-633-3800
simonian@x102c.ess.harris.com
rsimonian@nasamail.nasa.gov