[comp.sys.atari.st] Subject: seeking advice on WordUp 3.0

art@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Art Mulder) (12/05/90)

Hello All,
  A friend of mine bought WordUp 3.0 and can't get it to print.
  He has a plain 1040, mono monitor, and Hewlett Packard IIP laser
  printer.  He tells me there is are two ways of printing: a Text
  driver (doesn't work) and a Migraph GDOS driver (also doesn't work)

  He has heard of a product called "Turbo Jet" and wonders if that'll help
  him out of his fix.

  He's tried calling Neocept, but got nothing but an answering service
  His version is "Wordup 3.0 08/28/90"

  Any suggestions from experienced Wordup Users out there?

Please email any thoughts to me.   Thanks!
--
-----------
Art Mulder, McMaster University                  art@maccs.DCSS.mcmaster.ca

jkim@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jong-Woon Kim) (12/05/90)

In article <275C1435.21859@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> art@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Art Mulder) writes:

>Hello All,
>  A friend of mine bought WordUp 3.0 and can't get it to print.
>  He has a plain 1040, mono monitor, and Hewlett Packard IIP laser
>  printer.  He tells me there is are two ways of printing: a Text
>  driver (doesn't work) and a Migraph GDOS driver (also doesn't work)
>
>  He has heard of a product called "Turbo Jet" and wonders if that'll help
>  him out of his fix.
>
>  He's tried calling Neocept, but got nothing but an answering service
>  His version is "Wordup 3.0 08/28/90"
>
>  Any suggestions from experienced Wordup Users out there?
>
>Please email any thoughts to me.   Thanks!
>--
>-----------
>Art Mulder, McMaster University                  art@maccs.DCSS.mcmaster.ca
>Hamilton, Ont, Canada                        ...!uunet!utai!utgpu!maccs!art

That makes two of us. It was few months ago when I was waiting to
get the best word processing program with the best customer support,
in upgrade wise. I start from v1.and paid Neocept the upgrade
fee that now amounts the program net cost to and above $120
for me. I could have bought a word perfect. Anyhow, the program
that I thought would be one of the best word processor that
could be compared to that of Mac ones was not a complete program.
But a bunch of disks that wouldn't even let you write a resume.
I, csc major, wasn't able to use it! It is deep in my closet.

FEW MAJOR PROBLEMS WERE :

1. It will freeze when quiting the program.
2. Printing wouldn't work properly. It will sometimes print it
to the screen and bomb or just bomb.
3. Spell checking with a large file causes bomb.
4. NO WAY to append another WUP file!!!!!!
IMPORT WordUp was designed to accept older format and it would not
import v3.0 leaving no option to append but to open two window and
do window to window paste.
5. who knows

I am wondering if there is a person who is using WORDUP successfully.
I am wondering if someone know where Neocept is.
I am wondering if they will ever rewrite the sucker.
I hate to say I made a bad decision.
Rather I hate getting robbed!

						Jong-Woon Kim

--
    """""""
   c|O   o|Q

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (12/06/90)

In article <275c8e4c.464b@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> jkim@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jong-Woon Kim) writes:

>That makes two of us. It was few months ago when I was waiting to
>get the best word processing program with the best customer support,
>in upgrade wise. I start from v1.and paid Neocept the upgrade
>fee that now amounts the program net cost to and above $120
>for me. I could have bought a word perfect. Anyhow, the program
>that I thought would be one of the best word processor that
>could be compared to that of Mac ones was not a complete program.
>But a bunch of disks that wouldn't even let you write a resume.
>I, csc major, wasn't able to use it! It is deep in my closet.
>
>I am wondering if there is a person who is using WORDUP successfully.
>I am wondering if someone know where Neocept is.
>I am wondering if they will ever rewrite the sucker.
>I hate to say I made a bad decision.
>Rather I hate getting robbed!
>
>						Jong-Woon Kim
I am not sure whether or not I like defending WordUp or not,
but I thought I'd give it a go... I have 3.0 and really like
it...it is pretty much the only word processor for the ST that
I have found that can do what I want to be able to do.  It
sounds like you did not get the "fix" to 3.0...I understand
that caused many problems.  So, as far as use goes, I like the
program...what bothers me is that I have seen a fair number of
people mention lately that they ave been unable to get ahold
of Neocept...that is bad!  Does anybody out there have any
info on what this company is up to these days?
--Gerry

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/06/90)

<275c8e4c.464b@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>
Comment-To: jkim@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU

WordUp 3.0 is now suported from E.ARTHUR BROWN Phone. No. 612/762-8847
USA. this was from some info on Genie, also there are some Update
Files there from Neocept, Wordup4.arc from what i can remember, about
350k long, i hope this helps, a friend here in NZ. had a copy, but
it would not work on UK type machines, he rang them some time back
and they Stated that is was only for USA machine, but they would
change it, he is still waiting, but the funny thing is he did get
his new Deskjet program a week or so back, it is now 3 months back
since he sent his disks back, and now he does'nt no what to do, he never
made a back up of the disks, the Machine check is easy to fix, i don't
know why the software is set to only work on USA machines, i took out
the check and it worked on UK machines, no problem with the UK key board
so why the lock ???

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

rgoseweh@digi.lonestar.org (Roy Gosewehr) (12/06/90)

I am using WordUp 3.0 more or less succesfully. The initial versions of
3.0 were VERY bug-ridden.  However Neocept had posted "updates" (which
were files that had to be re-installed with their install program) on
GEnie.  There were at least two (possibly three) updates posted. With
these updates, my copy rarely has any major problems.

In regards to printing, I am using TurboJet for my HP DeskJet. I had
upgraded to the latest version, but the single disk that I recieved with
no intructions in a plain business envelope had a corrupted DeskJet
driver file.  I returned it for a replacement via certified mail, so I
know that they have received it.  (In the meantime I am using the old
version of TurboJet.)

Unfortunately, that was two months ago.  I have been unable to contact
Neocept since that time. From the returned certification card, they have
apparently moved.  My local Atari ST dealer just received an invoice
from them but it uses the old address.  The other part of this problem
is that I cannot read the new address on the certification card since
the original address had been scratched out and the new one scribbled in
by our illustrious mail carriers.  If I ever get the upgraded TurboJet,
there is a new install file for that on GEnie as well.  Neocept
apparently did  an extremely poor job in testing their products this
time around.

One of these days, I will see if I can get WordUp 3.0 to work with my
Migraph DeskJest driver.  It is a much better quality driver.

Regards,
Roy C. Gosewehr

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (12/06/90)

From jkim@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jong-Woon Kim) / 11:06 pm  Dec  4, 1990 :

>In article <275C1435.21859@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> art@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
>(Art Mulder) writes:
>>
>>Hello All,
>>  A friend of mine bought WordUp 3.0 and can't get it to print.
>>  He has a plain 1040, mono monitor, and Hewlett Packard IIP laser
>>  printer.  He tells me there is are two ways of printing: a Text
>>  driver (doesn't work) and a Migraph GDOS driver (also doesn't work)
>>
>>  He has heard of a product called "Turbo Jet" and wonders if that'll help
>>  him out of his fix.
>>
>>  He's tried calling Neocept, but got nothing but an answering service
>>  His version is "Wordup 3.0 08/28/90"
>
>That makes two of us... [ stuff deleted ]
Well, five, that I know of personally.

>I am wondering if there is a person who is using WORDUP successfully.
I'm wondering if there is anyone who bought WordUp or TurboJet in the past
12 months who is using it successfully with an HP printer.  (CAVEAT:  It's
not the printer's fault.  Guess who I work for?  :-)

>I am wondering if someone know where Neocept is.
I read a rumor here that they were going under.  They're definitely not
answering calls or responding to mail.  They did cash my check, however.

>I am wondering if they will ever rewrite the sucker.
>I hate to say I made a bad decision.
If they truly *are* going out of business, then the suckers is us.  I, too,
hate to say I made a bad decision (see my postings about Neocept and
TurboJet).  I also hate to think that I may have steered some people wrong by
recommending TurboJet in the first place.

>Rather I hate getting robbed!
Ditto.  And if the really are "going under", then they will file for
bankruptcy and we will never get *ANY* satisfaction.

>					Jong-Woon Kim

TO REPEAT:  Don't buy TurboJet from Neocept, unless you already have WordUp.
Better yet, don't buy WordUp!

If you need GDOS drivers for your HP printer, the only place I know of that
sells them is Migraph.  Here's the info about Migraph:

	Migraph, Inc.
	200 South 333rd Street
	Suite 220
	Federal Way, WA 98003

	phone: (206)838-4677
	fax:   (206)838-4702

GDOS PRINTER DRIVERS AVAILABLE FROM MIGRAPH:
Includes suggested retail price.  You can get them for less than this.

Canon PJ-1080A & compatibles color 	$24.95
JX80 & compatibles driver		$34.95
Okidata color (incl B&W drivers too)	$49.95
C.Itoh Prowriter & compatibles 		$19.95
Fujitsu 				$29.95
Epson LQ ( 360x360 dpi, you need 1MB	$34.95
	printer memory, limited font
	sizes included)
Epson LQ ( 180x180 dpi )		$24.95
Epson LQ combo (both of the above,	$49.95
	remember the extra 1MB)
Okidata B&W driver			$34.95
Toshiba	( 180x180 dpi ) 		$24.95
HP DeskJet ( you need 1 MB printer	$49.95
	memory)
HP LaserJet Plus and Series II ( you	$49.95
	need 1 MB printer memory )
HP 747x & 7550 plotters, HPGL devices	$49.95
	(vector graphics) & IBM 7372
Houston Instruments plotter, DMPL	$49.95
	compatibles
Roland plotters DXY 880, 885, 980, 985	$49.95

I can personally endorse the DeskJet driver and the HPGL plotter driver.
We have used both at HP.  In fact, I've used the DeskJet driver in
150x150 dpi mode and the output looked great -- even the 8-point and
6-point (?) fonts.  You only need the extra printer memory if you're going
to be doing full-page 300dpi output.

I wish I'd bought the Migraph stuff instead of the Neocept stuff.  It seems
like a case of having been penny-wise and pound-foolish.

FIREPROOF DISCLAIMER:  The above prices are for reference only.  Prices may
change before you get around to buying them.  Prices are based on direct-mail
order from Migraph.  Add tax & shipping where applicable.  This posting does
not constitute an endorsement by Hewlett-Packard of Migraph's products (or
anyone else's).  The author is not connected in any way with Migraph or
or Neocept.  Or Atari.  This is not an advertisement, merely an attempt to
help some people make their brain-dead GDOS applications useful.  Refrigerate
after opening.  Do not overtighten.  Contents may settle during shipment.
Not responsible for damages, direct or consequential, associated with
usage contrary to the instructions printed on this package.  Slippery when
wet or Neocept.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP ICBD -- IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/08/90)

<7340046@hpfcso.HP.COM>
Comment-To: rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM

Contact E.ARTHUR BROWN for both of thse products, WordUp 3 $49.95 US and
ST Turbojet $19.95, Phone No. 612/762-8847, this looks like a bargain..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...