[comp.sys.atari.st] about to buy - Stacy & music

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (11/16/90)

I am about to purchase a Stacy for use use with some music projects of mine.
After diligently searching through the old notes here, and talking to people
at our local users group, there are still a few questions I haven't gotten
straight answers for:

1. Spectre GCR and midi.  Conventional wisdom is that the ST midi port is not
recognized in Mac mode, but there may be ways around this.  I am not sure I
will need this to work, but it would be nice.

2. Laserjet output from music typesetting software.  Several of the available
packages (Notator, EZ Score) don't support it, although I have seen EZ Score's
dot matrix output and it is pretty darn good.  I've heard of a PD package
"laserbrain" that acts as a laser printer driver to some extent.  Does this
actually work, does it support Laserjets (no Postscript) and does it do any
"rounding" to make the output look better than on a dot matrix?  Pointers to
music typesetting packages that *do* support Laserjets would be appreciated,
too.  I know about Dr. T Professional & DTP, and of course there is always the
Spectre / Postsript cartridge option.

3. Can you use an accelerator in the Stacy?

4. What about this rumored third party battery pack?

5. Anything else I should know?

--------------
Marc Sabatella (marc@hpmonk.fc.hp.com)
Disclaimers:
	2 + 2 = 3, for suitably small values of 2
	Bill and Dave may not always agree with me

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (11/21/90)

>I am about to purchase a Stacy for use use with some music projects of mine.

I got some answers, although a few more phone calls are what got me most of my
information.

>1. Spectre GCR and midi.

No word on this still.

>2. Laserjet output from music typesetting software.

Dr. T's laser output is not all that much better than EZScore's dot marix.

There is a package in the UK called "Take Controls Music Publisher".

Encore, a Mac program, has been ported to the ST, and it seems very full
featured, although it doesn't have tightly integrated sequencing as does Dr. T
and Notator.  Still no word on whether Notator supports Laserjet's yet - their
tech support guy hasn't called me back.

>3. Can you use an accelerator in the Stacy?

Yes, Turbo16 from Fast Technologies.

>4. What about this rumored third party battery pack?

No word here.

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (11/22/90)

In article <7340037@hpfcso.HP.COM> mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) writes:
>>I am about to purchase a Stacy for use use with some music projects of mine.
>

>There is a package in the UK called "Take Controls Music Publisher".

What is this package.. ? is there a demo available?

>Encore, a Mac program, has been ported to the ST, and it seems very full
>featured, although it doesn't have tightly integrated sequencing as does Dr. T
>and Notator.  Still no word on whether Notator supports Laserjet's yet - their
>tech support guy hasn't called me back.

I have left several messages with the people at Passport Designs trying to
get information and a demo of ENCORE for the ST...  all i get are machines
and answering machines and so on... no one calls me back...

I have been using NOTATOR for over 2 years.  But the one MAJOR flaw with
the program has finally forced me to get into something else... if not
to change over to a MAC and FINALE.

Problem:  with NOTATOR, one can NOT (unless someone can correct me on this)
display MORE than 2 independent voices on a SINGLE staff.  This is
absoulutely necessary for scoring classical guitar.  NOTATOR provides
for 2 independent voices for each staff in a grand staff display.  This
works wonderfully for 4 part chorales...  but when you get into
more complex piano scores (over treble and bass clef) or into
multi-voice guitar parts on a single treble clef, you are f'ed.
FINALE for the mac allows this.  I would rather invest in ENCORE
than change platforms, if ENCORE will do what i need on the ST..
i'll keep NOTATOR for sequencing and use ENCORE for publishing.
Otherwise I'll have to go to the MAC and wrestle with a ridiculous
user interface : FINALE's, just because of the one factor.

I spoke with Mikhail .. the US rep for C-LAb about this several times.
He states that it is very unlikely we'll see an update to NOTATOR
for another 8 months or more... and that "my" problem had never been
presented to him before.. that if only a few people see the need for
the "fix".. it won't be done.

BTW: My GCR supposedly will run FINALE.. but, of course, not run
the midi functions.  Since i have an older 1040 4MB, the new
Megatalk board by Gadgets won't due me any good.

-kevin

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/09/90)

Why don't you try the Cubase? It is a Great MIDI software package from
Steinberg, propably the best available for Atari.
It uses GDOS and has a driver for Laserjet.

Accelerator? There are HyperCache 016 and HyperCache 030, first one fits
to Stacy I think (Turbo 16 and Jato fits also), second one uses the
68030 33 Mhz and is very expensive, and I think quite big too!

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***