[comp.sys.atari.st] Wordup 3.0 printing problem

jmorton@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Morton) (12/10/90)

[I might as well get this in before everybody just throws away their
copies of Wordup 3.0.]

I believe a couple of people mentioned that printing actually works
for them.  It doesn't for me, and I have a pretty ordinary printer,
an Epson FX-85.

Text Mode:

There appears to be only one text mode driver, EPSONFX.TPD, which
prints by going over each word twice.  It also creates lines which
are too long too fit without wrapping.  Must one enter text in a
certain way for text mode printing to work?

WP Mode:

The docs suggest reinstalling to switch drivers.  Is it sufficient
to just put the driver in the same directory as WORDUP.PRG?
Has anyone had luck with any particular Epson driver?  My printing
problem occurs on the second page (an extra half-line of garbage),
so it is very tedious trying all the possibilities.

Wish I'd kept 2.0 - it worked under certain circumstances.

I _do_ have the latest driver disk upgrade.  The only new Epson thing
on it is the EPSONFX.TPD, dated 6/19/90.

thanks if anyone has ideas ...

John

John Morton					University of California
jmorton@euler.berkeley.edu			Mechanical Engineering
{decvax,cbosgd}!ucbvax!euler!jmorton		Machine Shop

simonian@x102c.ess.harris.com (simonian richard 66449) (12/10/90)

I've gotten the 8/20/90 version of WUP3.0 to print (graphics mode)
on my EpsonRX80.  I scrapped the assign.sys file they generate and
used a 'standard' one which lists the fonts to use and the FX80.SYS
device driver; I think their FX80 drivers are messed up.  Printing
works fine now.

Richard Simonian
Harris Space Systems Corp.  407-633-3800
simonian@x102c.ess.harris.com
rsimonian@nasamail.nasa.gov

In article <1990Dec9.180347.9280@agate.berkeley.edu> jmorton@euler.berkeley.edu (John Morton) writes:
>[I might as well get this in before everybody just throws away their
>copies of Wordup 3.0.]

>I believe a couple of people mentioned that printing actually works
>for them.  It doesn't for me, and I have a pretty ordinary printer,
>an Epson FX-85.

>Text Mode:

>There appears to be only one text mode driver, EPSONFX.TPD, which
>prints by going over each word twice.  It also creates lines which
>are too long too fit without wrapping.  Must one enter text in a
>certain way for text mode printing to work?

I haven't used it a whole lot, but I've at least gotten this working.
The "Text mode" is intended to let you use the NLQ fonts built-in to
your printer, if any. I've gotten pretty decent results on my Panasonic
1091i, writing a document in Courier font and printing in Text mode
with the printer set to Courier font. There are two points to remember
though - you're probably not going to get very good results using a
proportional screen font unless your printer also has a proportional
font. Otherwise, it's best to stick to a fixed-pitch font on the screen.
I don't know the Epson FX85 off the top of my head, but my guess is it's
a relatively old model, and doesn't do proportional spacing with its
internal fonts.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.