[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari SH204 hostadapter with genuine SCSI drives

paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (Paul Moreau) (12/12/90)

In artical <1990Dec10.110739@kboeng.enet.dec.com>, heiden@kboeng.enet.dec.com writes:

> I would like to upgrade my original SH204  (with 20 MByte Tandon 262) with
> another drive.
> As far as I understand the hostadapter inside the SH204 understands SCSI.
> Therefore I would
> like to connect it directly to a 'genuine' SCSI drive instead of putting another
> MFM drive on the
> Adaptec 4000 SCSI -> MFM controller.
> Does anybody has experience with this solution ? What sort of problems could I
> run into ?
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks					Matthias Heiden

   I have hooked a Maxtor XT-4380S , XT-4380E w/ Emulex SCSI->ESDI card,
   a Wren 6 SCSI drive and a Cypher 540 SCSI cartridge tape drive to my SH204
   host adapter.   I've only had problems with the Wren.
   The SH204 only supports 1 SCSI device and it must be selected as device 0.
   The SH204 host adapter also only supports level 1 SCSI commands (thoughs
   requiring 6 byte CDB's only).
   I use the Supra driver and utilities selecting the 'OTHER' controller type.
   Once the device is formatted, I use a utility I wrote that analyzes the
   media and performs the SCSI reassign block command on defects it finds.
   I then go backinto the Suputil and make the device bootable.
---
  | ### ###     ###     |  A M E R I C A  |< 80% Fujitsu... >|
  | UUCP: ..uunet!ccicpg!dl2!paulm |     Paul L. Moreau      |
  |   or  ..uunet!ccicpg!dl1!paulm | Sr. Diag Software Eng.  |
  |   or  ..uunet!ccicpg!paulm     |   Irvine, California    |