[comp.sys.atari.st] RFI, FCC etc......

boblu@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Robert Luneski) (12/11/90)

.
long discussion deleted
.

trh@atari.UUCP (T R Hall) writes:

> Last time I (an Atari employee) spoke to
>someone in sales (in the person of Gary Trameil), we were selling each STacy
>we brought into the country.

How many are you bringing in for domestic sale?  The impressiveness of that
statement(or lack thereof) is very volume dependent.

>	Which tends to indicate:
>	(A) STacy has passed FCC

The STacy only has a FCC class A rating and can only be sold for industrial
and commercial business use.  Sale to a private party(read: personal computer
user) or operation in a residential district(read: your home) is a federal
crime.  Thankyou very much Atari, but that's useless to me.

>	(B) We haven't dropped it

I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back for your fantastic promotion of it.

  Bob Luneski          bluneski@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM           Genie: B.LUNESKI1

  The opinions expressed herein are my own and in no way reflect the
  opinions of Tektronix, Inc.

dwh@ataritx.uucp (Dave Hanna) (12/12/90)

In article <7006@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> boblu@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Robert Luneski) writes:

>The STacy only has a FCC class A rating and can only be sold for industrial
>and commercial business use.  Sale to a private party(read: personal computer
>user) or operation in a residential district(read: your home) is a federal
>crime.

Are you sure about that last part (i.e., that operation of a class A
device in your home is a federal crime)?  I agree that selling it
for use as a personal computer is illegal, and that it is likely
to cause unacceptable interference if used in a residential area,
and that it is your legal responsibility as a user to cure the
interference.  But is it actually illegal simply to operate it?

If you make that statement as one who actually knows, can you site
your authority for making it?  If not, can someone who is authoritative
answer the question?

(BTW, I speak for myself, not Atari, and I can neither confirm nor
deny that "STacy only has a FCC class A rating".)
--
    Dave Hanna    Atari Microsystems Corp
	  UUCP   ...!texsun!letni!ataritx!dwh