[comp.sys.atari.st] Question: Networks for ST computers

cb01@cs.vu.nl (Compiler bouw 91) (12/11/90)

G'day,

Can somebody please fill me in about the available networks
for atari ST computers? I've been working a while with a net
called ITOS but that _really_ doesn't work! A couple of days
ago I watched a demonstration of the BIO-net: this seems to
work great but is quite expensive (about fl.2600 (app. $1550)
per node) and because my net may grow > 10 ST's I'll need a
fa(s)t server. Summing up interfaces, ST's, drives and the
server I reach the fl.50000 (app. $30000) easily. This, I think,
isn't worth the bennefit of having bit-mapped-'intellegent'-
ST-terminals over character-terminals connected to some
bigger server (SPARC stations aren't that expensive!!).
I heard some rumours about ATARI launching their own net...
does anybody know anything about it? Is this a regular *ATARI*
anouncement (which means it will be available somewhere in
1994) or is it serious this time?

please, let me know if you heard *anything* (and I mean anything)
about some of this!!

greetings,

	 Joep Vesseur
	 e-mail: vesseur@fwi.uva.nl
	     or: !hp4nl.nluug.nl!fwi.uva.nl!vesseur

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (12/12/90)

In article <8476@star.cs.vu.nl> cb01@cs.vu.nl (Compiler bouw 91) writes:

>Can somebody please fill me in about the available networks
>for atari ST computers? I've been working a while with a net

10 Mbps, $150 per node...  LanTech Systems
uses coax with bayonett connectors rather like IBM3270 coax.
Allows sharig of hard-drives and printers and can be set up to
make a machine on the network look like it's the sole user of a shared
device.  That's all I know...  Hopefully someone can supply
LanTech's address or phone number....

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu

keithr@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (U.D.M.) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.200221.3659@d.cs.okstate.edu> cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) writes:
>In article <8476@star.cs.vu.nl> cb01@cs.vu.nl (Compiler bouw 91) writes:
>>
>>Can somebody please fill me in about the available networks
>>for atari ST computers? I've been working a while with a net
>
>10 Mbps, $150 per node...  LanTech Systems
>uses coax with bayonett connectors rather like IBM3270 coax.
>Allows sharig of hard-drives and printers and can be set up to
>make a machine on the network look like it's the sole user of a shared
>device.  That's all I know...  Hopefully someone can supply
>LanTech's address or phone number....
>
>cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu

Lantech Systems
PO Box R
Billerica, MA 01821
(508) 667-9191

My church has been using Lantech for about 5 months to network 2
Mega 2s together.  At first each Mega had a hard drive, but since
the net has been working so well we took one of the drives off.  Now
we have a Mega 2 with a 85meg Toadfile as the host and a Mega 2 as a
stand alone in another office.  Lantech also includes a neat little
desk accessory that allows you to use any printer on any node on the
net.  Works great for sending messages ;-)  and there is also an
e-mail utility.

I am not connected with Lantech. I am just a happy customer.

Keith
keithr@icogem3.ICO.TEK.COM