[comp.sys.atari.st] Frame grabbers and Video digitizers

MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET (12/12/90)

I am just starting to really get into the swing of working with my new St
and have seen some of the advanced options available for the ST and have
been impressed.  What I would like to know is what is the best frame grabber/
video digitizer for the St.  I have seen some of the work that Computer eyes
does and frankly I wasn't really all that impressed because it distorted colors
badly.  However I am aware that there is some program put out by the same
compay that make computer eyes that apparently improves the color quality
drastically.  Unfortunately I have not seen this in action.  I am a amateur
turning pro video producer and would like something that digitizes the screen
from a VCR source so that I can alter the picture later.  Thanks for any
help I get!
                                                   Thanks,

                                                   Thomas

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/12/90)

MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Thomas) writes:

- What I would like to know is what is the best frame grabber/ video
- digitizer for the St.  I have seen some of the work that Computer
- eyes does and frankly I wasn't really all that impressed because it
- distorted colors badly.

Computer Eyes I think is the best, or at least, the most popular.
(We all know that most popular doesn't mean the best. :^)  It only
digitizes in 16 colors, but read on....

- However I am aware that there is some program put out by the same
- compay that make computer eyes that apparently improves the color
- quality drastically.  Unfortunately I have not seen this in action.

There is a desk accessory called DIGISPEC which allows you to use
Computer Eyes and digitize 512 colors on the screen at once.  This is
written by a company called Trio Engineering which also wrote
Spectrum 512, the 512-color drawing program which preceded DIGISPEC
and Unispec, a 512-color animation program.  I have seen results of
the Computer Eyes and DIGISPEC combination, but have never seen it
being done.  Antic used to distribute the programs, but I'm not sure
if they still do.  You can find them via mail order or if you have a
good local dealer.

- I am a amateur turning pro video producer and would like something
- that digitizes the screen from a VCR source so that I can alter the
- picture later.  Thanks for any help I get!

DIGISPEC will allow you to change brightness, contrast, hue
saturation and a couple of other things, like convert GIF pictures to
SPC (Spectrum Compressed) format.  Spectrum 512 will allow you to
manipulate the images, like cut and paste, add colors, gradient
fills, etc.

Hope this helps.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

scott@tab00.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Yelich) (12/13/90)

>Computer Eyes I think is the best, or at least, the most popular.
>(We all know that most popular doesn't mean the best. :^)  It only
>digitizes in 16 colors, but read on....

I have color computer eyes.

First I would like to say that the company that makes color computer
eyes is one of the best I have EVER had to deal with.  They have MY
highest recommendations.

Color computer eyes scans a signal and produces RGB data.
The ST low res normally supports 16 colors-- thus the normal
image shown with color computer eyes has 16 colors.

Now, you can do anything you want with the RGB data and one program
out will use this data to make a Spectrum picture.  With this addition,
I find the images quite acceptable.

The resolution for these images is 320 pixels by 200 pixels.
When these images are viewed on a Sun, for example, with its
1152x900 pixel screen-- the image looks rather small.

There are various ways to provide a signal for color computer eyes: I
tend to use a digital vcr with STOP frame.  Even without a tape in the
mechanism, I can press a button and freeze the image on the screen.
This image is perfectly still.  I find that the scanned image will be
almost identical (sometimes the TVs color settings are slightly off.)

Next, I have used a color camera (I don't have details), but I find
that the LIGHT used makes a world of a difference.  I find that the
best images are scanned DIRECTLY from the camera with a BLUE light.
These images are quite sharp and they are exactly what I was looking
for when I purchased the video digitizer.

Send me email if you want to talk more...

Scott
--
Signature follows. [Skip now]

 Scott D. Yelich                         scott@[xanth.]cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''
 Administrator of:    Game-Design requests to <game-design-request@cs.odu.edu>
 ODU/UNIX/BSD/X/C/ROOT/XANTH/CS/VSVN/