[comp.sys.atari.st] ELVIS questions

wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) (12/13/90)

I installed EVLIS on my 1040st the other night and I need some
help getting it to work properly. When I run it I get the message
can't read back C:\tmp\w._e_ . In my setup file I set the temp
directory to F:\tmp. There is no tmp directory on C:. Elvis works
but after receiving the above message I must hit return to continue.
What am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance
Bill Oswald
aloft!wao

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.182944.12957@cbnewsm.att.com>, wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) writes:
>I installed EVLIS on my 1040st the other night and I need some
>help getting it to work properly. When I run it I get the message
>[....]

Just FYI, I put a new version of STEVIE (version 3.9) on atari.archive a
few weeks ago.  I could not get ELVIS to work either, but I have been
using the new STEVIE for several weeks with no problems.  I ftped it from
a site in Finland, and had nothing to do with the upgrade (just a happy
user!).

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (Paul Moreau) (12/13/90)

In artical <1990Dec12.211128.11636@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>, boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu writes:

> In article <1990Dec12.182944.12957@cbnewsm.att.com>, wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) writes:
> >I installed EVLIS on my 1040st the other night and I need some
> >help getting it to work properly. When I run it I get the message
> >[....]
>
> Just FYI, I put a new version of STEVIE (version 3.9) on atari.archive a
> few weeks ago.  I could not get ELVIS to work either, but I have been
> using the new STEVIE for several weeks with no problems.  I ftped it from
> a site in Finland, and had nothing to do with the upgrade (just a happy
> user!).

   I have been using ELVIS for some time from gulam and msh.   You have to
   be sure that the environment variables: TEMP TERM and TERMCAP are set.
   for TMP I use n:\tmp.  For TERM I use vt52.   ELVIS seems to ignore the
   TERMCAP entry but it still needs to be set in order to work.  I use
   c:\bin\termcap. BTW: c:\bin\termcap does not exist.
   Last night I pulled down the sources for ELVIS 4.0 from alt.sources and
   compiled them last night using MWC it it also works fine.  However, the
   new ELVIS comes with some other programs (wildcard.ttp and some others)
   that need to be present in the search path.

   Later, Paul Moreau.
---
  | ### ###     ###     |  A M E R I C A  |< 80% Fujitsu... >|
  | UUCP: ..uunet!ccicpg!dl2!paulm |     Paul L. Moreau      |
  |   or  ..uunet!ccicpg!dl1!paulm | Sr. Diag Software Eng.  |
  |   or  ..uunet!ccicpg!paulm     |   Irvine, California    |