[comp.sys.atari.st] Help using Flash

bgrave@ub.d.umn.edu (Brian Grave) (12/14/90)

Hello Net-People.

I just got myself a modem the other day and a copy of Flash (1.61 I
think) and I need to know how to download files from my Unix account
using Xmodem.

If anyone could provide me with some helpful information I would be
extremely grateful!

--
Brian Grave			bgrave@ub.d.umn.edu

	I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'M NOT GOING!

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (12/14/90)

bgrave@ub.d.umn.edu (Brian Grave) writes:

>I just got myself a modem the other day and a copy of Flash (1.61 I
>think) and I need to know how to download files from my Unix account
>using Xmodem.
>
>If anyone could provide me with some helpful information I would be
>extremely grateful!

I'm not sure any of the Unix machines here do Xmodem.  If, however, know
how to initiate Xmodem on one of the Unix systems, it's as simple as
initiating the send on the host (Unix) end, right-clicking to get the
menus, and selecting Xmodem receive on your ST.

A more likely file transfer protocol candidate is Kermit.  I've yet to
see a university system anywhere that doesn't implement Kermit transfer.
However, to the best of my knowledge, Flash (any version) will not do
Kermit.  You can, I believe, get a Kermit accessory from Antic.  You
can also get the official PD version of Kermit (not very good).  Yet
another option is to get a copy of Uniterm, which I believe supports
Kermit.

I think the simplest solution of all is to FTP to a PC with a 3.5" drive
and plug the disk into your ST.
--
 "And now, adding color                 |    Il Hwan Oh
  a group of anonymous, Latin-American  |    University of Washington, Tacoma