[comp.sys.atari.st] ST magazines

mpsimon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (M. Patrick Simon) (06/11/88)

In article <8806092000.AA00782@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> REEVES@SLACSLD.BITNET writes:
>There are a number of ST magazines available. However, the only ones that
>I have actually purchased are STart and ST Applications. This is due to
>a frugal nature and a low budget. ...

These are the two I tend to read as well. I like both magazines, though I
think they serve different purposes. ST Applications is oriented toward
programmers and users, and provides useful advice/tips to both. START is
centered around the disk that comes with each issue. ST Applications tends
to review things more or less impartially, whereas START has a definite
bias toward giving a favorable review (in my opinion) -- also the new section
in ST Applications called ST Business seems to be a little more pro-Atari than
pro-reader (again, only my opinion). Both magazines provide lots of useful
information for Atari ST owners.

>                                                    Have fun,
>                                                    Terry W. Reeves
>
>REEVES@SLACSLD on Bitnet

--Patrick Simon      mpsimon@phoenix.princeton.edu       6-10-88

MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (11/14/89)

A netter has suggested that there are (were) only 4 ST Magazines left.
He meant, of course, only 4 AMERICAN ST magazines. The American magazines
have never been very good anyway, they seem aimed at a market of
intellectual 3-year-olds (STart is a _little_ better, but not much).
There's a French mag I really like -- it has lots of code samples and
specs, but I have problems with the sexist cartoons in it. ST World
from the UK is not bad, and the UK computer shopper at least used to
have an ST section. Any good foreign book/magazine store should carry
these.

I've glanced at some of the German magazines, and they are very
sophisticated, like the PC or Mac mags over here.

    David Megginson, Centre for Medieval Studies, Toronto

cierdain@ucrmath.ucr.edu (michael barnes) (12/15/90)

Hi,
  I'm having a harder and harder time tracking down ST magazines around here
now, and there are no ST stores that I know of so its time to start thinking
about subscribing to a mag.  Could some kind soul(s) recommend a good ST mag
(ads are good, since they are the only way for me to track down products), and
give me an address/phone number for subscriptions?

I thank you even if my wallet won't....

Andrew (cierdain@ucrmath.ucr.edu)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/16/90)

Andrew (cierdain@ucrmath.ucr.edu) writes:

- Could some kind soul(s) recommend a good ST mag (ads are good, since
- they are the only way for me to track down products), and give me an
- address/phone number for subscriptions?

I recommend ST Informer, 909 NW Starlite Place, Grants Pass, OR
97526.  Their phone number is 503-479-0071.  12 issues a year for
$18.

Some people have also recommended Current Notes.  I don't have any
information on it, but you may want to look into it.

--
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0