[comp.sys.atari.st] Just gripin'...

iam@stbimbo.UUCP (Ian Mercado) (11/26/90)

Well, the only ST software dealer in town just shut his doors for good.
Doesn't matter...I haven't seen a new title worth getting there in months
now.  Is it time to get an IBM PC clone?  Or is there hope for some sort
of re-birth of the ST software scenario?

Bummed,

--
--------   ----   ----   --    |   Ian Mercado: iam@salestech.com             |
   --     -    -  -----  --    |                gatech!stiatl!iam             |

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) (11/30/90)

The ST is dying. If you want virtually anything for it, you'll have to
mail order it. Living in a big city does help, however. J&R Music World
in New York (I live in NJ, when I'm not in college in Pittsburgh) is one
of the few major stores I've seen that still support the ST... although
even their support is dying, the software section is 1/3 the size it was
3 years ago and the hardware section has all but disappeared.

Get a Mac, not an IBM. IBMs are for corporate fascists, and besides,
Macs are better (ease of use, etc.) Apple isn't about to fade into the
woodwork like Atari periodically does. If you can't afford a Mac (get at
least a IIsi, not a Classic (yuk, same slow processor as an ST, and 9"
mono "graphics")) then get a Spectre GCR (wait for Version 3.0.)

I dunno, Atari's new models aren't too impressive to me,
price/performance wise... they may buy the farm for good this time.

I'm getting a Mac IIsi if my parents can/will help me afford it
(although it's pretty cheap here with student discounts, $3000 is still
a lot of money) or a Spectre GCR if that's all I can afford.

|\    /|
|  \/  |  ike Greelish
Carnegie-Mellon U. undergrad
quote: "When you're bored, everything is your business." --Me
stupid disclaimer: My opinions are dictated to me by a 23 year old
telepathic Chilean aardvark living in my closet.

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (11/30/90)

In article <obJIrRW00WAx8B1lRW@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
>The ST is dying. If you want virtually anything for it, you'll have to
>mail order it. Living in a big city does help, however. J&R Music World
>in New York (I live in NJ, when I'm not in college in Pittsburgh) is one
>of the few major stores I've seen that still support the ST... although
>even their support is dying, the software section is 1/3 the size it was
>3 years ago and the hardware section has all but disappeared.
>
>Get a Mac, not an IBM. IBMs are for corporate fascists, and besides,
>Macs are better (ease of use, etc.) Apple isn't about to fade into the
>woodwork like Atari periodically does. If you can't afford a Mac (get at
>least a IIsi, not a Classic (yuk, same slow processor as an ST, and 9"
>mono "graphics")) then get a Spectre GCR (wait for Version 3.0.)

<stuff deleted>

Unfortunately I have to agree--CalCom, the biggest Atari dealer here
in the DC area, has closed and gone to mail-order. There are now 3
Atari dealers in the area, and one of those is mostly emulation stuff.
I blame Atari management, but I won't go on with all that.

But, if you have an educational discount, check out the NeXTStation-
it is the natural step from an ST.

-Charlie

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/30/90)

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:

- The ST is dying. If you want virtually anything for it, you'll have
- to mail order it. Living in a big city does help, however. J&R Music
- World in New York (I live in NJ, when I'm not in college in
- Pittsburgh) is one of the few major stores I've seen that still
- support the ST... although even their support is dying, the software
- section is 1/3 the size it was 3 years ago and the hardware section
- has all but disappeared.

I don't understand this.  Do people actually waste time looking for
places that *don't* support the ST as opposed to places that do?  Why
waste your time with J&R Music World?  Yes, I know what it's like not
to have a local dealer for 9 months out of the year.  Pick a dealer
that is as local as possible, that gives a reasonable amount of
support, and that looks like he's going to be around for a while and
help and support him.  Bitching about J&R isn't going to do anything
'cause they have other things on their minds besides the ST; they
have other merchandise to support them and the ST isn't their main
concern.

(WARNING.  Tearful success story follows. ;^)

I bought an Omniswitch in San Francisco before I returned to school
(3 hours away) only to find out that it may be damaged.  I called the
dealer and told him about it.  He's sending me another one.  When I
receive it, I will send the bad one back.  Find a dealer that does
stuff like this and support him.  Buy stuff from him.  If you like
his service, tell other ST users about it.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (11/30/90)

{stuff deleted}

Sure, everyone was calling me crazy, using insulting language and
trying to pass me off as someone with an ax to grind.  I return
today to the group and I scroll by 5-10 messages of the same.  I
guess it is finally starting to sink in, eh?

Ian,

Buy a Mac. :-)  You can come up to NYC at Computer Era and we can
hang out for those brewskies. :-)

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David Koski) (11/30/90)

In article <obJIrRW00WAx8B1lRW@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
>The ST is dying. If you want virtually anything for it, you'll have to
>mail order it. Living in a big city does help, however. J&R Music World

no, I don't think it ever really had life,  kinda like a zombie.

>Get a Mac, not an IBM. IBMs are for corporate fascists, and besides,
>Macs are better (ease of use, etc.) Apple isn't about to fade into the

How about a NeXTstation?

>I dunno, Atari's new models aren't too impressive to me,
>price/performance wise... they may buy the farm for good this time.
>
>I'm getting a Mac IIsi if my parents can/will help me afford it
>(although it's pretty cheap here with student discounts, $3000 is still
>a lot of money) or a Spectre GCR if that's all I can afford.

Well a NeXTstation is about $3000 with a student discount...
Is any one else that currently has an ST thinking about a next?  I am and
I hope others are too.
BTW I saw a nextstation here at the campus bookstore and it was awsome!
Speed that was unbelievable, a real OS, and nice looking windows etc. (unlike
some other machines that we all know)

>|\    /|
>|  \/  |  ike Greelish
>Carnegie-Mellon U. undergrad
>quote: "When you're bored, everything is your business." --Me
>stupid disclaimer: My opinions are dictated to me by a 23 year old
>telepathic Chilean aardvark living in my closet.

David Koski

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/30/90)

Golly........!

Where are all the Atari Cheerleaders....????

Where are all the diehard Atari Apologists....????

Where are all the Atari Ostriches who still believe that if we "wait until
COMDEX" everthing will be just fine...????

Why don't you jump all over the folks who have been expressing concerns over
"real life" experiences with trying to deal with Atari Corp's non-interest
in our marketplace...????

I dunno... seems like the "faithful" are slipping...

BobR

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (11/30/90)

In article <568@organpipe.UUCP> dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David Koski) writes:
>In article <obJIrRW00WAx8B1lRW@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
>>The ST is dying. If you want virtually anything for it, you'll have to
>>mail order it. Living in a big city does help, however. J&R Music World
>
>no, I don't think it ever really had life,  kinda like a zombie.
>
>How about a NeXTstation?

 [ stuff deleted ]
>Well a NeXTstation is about $3000 with a student discount...

compare that with the "unannounced" price of the TT package[less].

>>Is any one else that currently has an ST thinking about a next?  I am and
I hope others are too.
>BTW I saw a nextstation here at the campus bookstore and it was awsome!
>Speed that was unbelievable, a real OS, and nice looking windows etc. (unlike
>some other machines that we all know)
>

>>|\    /|
>>|  \/  |  ike Greelish
>
>David Koski

 I am certainly thinking of getting a NeXT.

 It wouldn't make much sense to spend an equivalent amount
 of money on a system that doesn't have an operating system...
 or a useful one, i should say.

 What's a computer without an OS?  It's not much different than
a car without an engine.

There are several software packages on other platforms that i was
hoping would get ported to the ST.  Virtually every developer
of these particular packages that i have spoken with tells me they
don't want to have to "deal with TOS"...

-kevin

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (11/30/90)

In article <36363@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Where are all the diehard Atari Apologists....????
>
>Why don't you jump all over the folks who have been expressing concerns over
>"real life" experiences with trying to deal with Atari Corp's non-interest
>in our marketplace...????
>
>I dunno... seems like the "faithful" are slipping...
>
>BobR

Bob, I must have missed something.  My atari works, doesn't yours?
Why do you suppose people should go nuts over a company that
doesn't seem to give a hoot about the US market?

Because some of us actually like our STs, prehaps?

<flames deleted before posting>

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu

chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (11/30/90)

Well a NeXTstation is about $3000 with a student discount...
Is any one else that currently has an ST thinking about a next?  I am and
I hope others are too.
BTW I saw a nextstation here at the campus bookstore and it was awsome!
Speed that was unbelievable, a real OS, and nice looking windows etc. (unlike
some other machines that we all know)

	have you actually tried to use one.  My net conenction is through
a more-or-less public access Next.  Every once in a while I go in and do
my stuff at the console (better than 1200 baud from home).  The raw unix
window is just fine, but doing anything with the GUI is s---l---o---w.
fer example, it can take up to 1.5 minutes to get back to you, post
login/password.
	try before you buy.

chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu

chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
	--don't forget, we surround _them_, not the other way around"
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

gl8f@astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.153926.24198@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:

>BTW I saw a nextstation here at the campus bookstore and it was awsome!

That's great. But this is comp.sys.atari.st.

There's already an Amiga/NeXT flamewar going on. If this keeps up
we'll also have an ST/NeXT flamewar going on. Nobody learns anything
from a flamewar.

So, to stop this in its tracks: If anyone sees a message about NeXTs
that they think ought to go on comp.sys.next instead of
comp.sys.atari.st, please join me in dropping the poster a polite
email message.

dejesus@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (Francisco X DeJesus) (12/01/90)

In article <568@organpipe.UUCP> dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David Koski) writes:
>In article <obJIrRW00WAx8B1lRW@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:

>>Get a Mac, not an IBM. IBMs are for corporate fascists, and besides,
>>Macs are better (ease of use, etc.) Apple isn't about to fade into the
>
>How about a NeXTstation?

>>I'm getting a Mac IIsi if my parents can/will help me afford it
>>(although it's pretty cheap here with student discounts, $3000 is still
>>a lot of money) or a Spectre GCR if that's all I can afford.
>
>Well a NeXTstation is about $3000 with a student discount...
>Is any one else that currently has an ST thinking about a next?  I am and
>I hope others are too.

    Here, here! I've been looking at getting a new computer next fall, and
my #1 choice would definately be a NeXTstation! Nowadays, as a Computer
Engineering junior, I see that more and more I _NEED_ a powerful Unix
machine, and the NeXTstation is simply PERFECT. I have the same feelings for
the new NeXT machines as I did back when I had an Atari 800 and I first
heard the name 'ST'. I definately want to buy one before I graduate though,
because of the _HUGE_ student discounts available...

    Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love my Mega... but I just hope that by
   ___ /      _______________________________      - Francisco X DeJesus
   |- / \/                                  \\
   ' /  /\    dejesus@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu  \\__________________________
    /         ak662@cleveland.freenet.edu    ////////////////////////////

dejesus@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (Francisco X DeJesus) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.153926.24198@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:
>       have you actually tried to use one.  My net conenction is through
>a more-or-less public access Next.  Every once in a while I go in and do
>my stuff at the console (better than 1200 baud from home).  The raw unix
>window is just fine, but doing anything with the GUI is s---l---o---w.
>fer example, it can take up to 1.5 minutes to get back to you, post
>login/password.
>       try before you buy.

    Are you talking about a NeXTstation or about an old NeXT cube? Comparing
the NeXT cube vs the NeXTstation is like comparing Apple's Lisa vs the first
Macintosh... one was very 'experimental', and the other is more 'streamlined'.
And both sets were done by Steve Jobs (he's definately got a talent for going
back to get things right!).

    BTW, it's very different using a Unix computer that is overtasked with
lots of other people using it and using one all by yourself...
   ___ /      _______________________________      - Francisco X DeJesus
   |- / \/                                  \\
   ' /  /\    dejesus@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu  \\__________________________
    /         ak662@cleveland.freenet.edu    ////////////////////////////

seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) (12/01/90)

True, support for the ST seems to be weakening.  I've often thought about buying
another comptuter.  But after I think it through, I never do.

Recently, Bill Gates, in defending the PC versus NeXT and Mac, said "What is
there that you can do on those machines that can't be done on the PC."  I think
the same (almost) applies to the ST.  I can't think of anything that can be done
on the PC, or Mac that you can't do on the ST.

In my case, my major uses of my ST are 1) terminal emulation, 2) word processing,
3) hobbyist programming, mostly in C and Pascal.  I have yet to be convinced
that a Mac or PC can do these so much better than the ST as to make it worth the
hassle and expense of selling my ST, and buying, installing, and learning new
software.  Nor have I seen any thing new that the PC or Mac can do that would
make it worthwhile.

If I were buying a new computer, it probably would not be an ST.  But since I
own one now, I think my time and effort are best spent supporting and enhancing
it, rather than buy something new.

					Matt Seitz
					netcom!seitz
					seitz@netcom.UUCP

--
					Matthew Seitz
					seitz@netcom.UUCP

In article <5216@rex.cs.tulane.edu> dejesus@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (Francisco X DeJesus) writes:
>Macintosh... one was very 'experimental', and the other is more 'streamlined'.
>And both sets were done by Steve Jobs (he's definately got a talent for going
>back to get things right!).

Heh - what he's *definitely* got a talent for is getting things *wrong*, the
first N tries...

>    BTW, it's very different using a Unix computer that is overtasked with
>lots of other people using it and using one all by yourself...

Yes, but none of this is relevant to a discussion about a computer that is
overtasked just with its own windowing system...

It would be kind of nice if these folks would use Better Software as the
solution to their performance problems, instead of always relying on Faster
Hardware. (Obviously the ideal situation is to have optimal software running
on the fastest hardware, but you ain't gonna get that from NeXT...)

--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (12/01/90)

In article <36363@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Golly........!
>
>Where are all the Atari Cheerleaders....????
>
>Where are all the diehard Atari Apologists....????
>
>Where are all the Atari Ostriches who still believe that if we "wait until
>COMDEX" everthing will be just fine...????

etc.

You rang?  Maybe it's because the Mega E is so nearly the machine I thought
Atari should have introduced as a cash cow about 10 months ago, to me it
looks good.  An ST (well, an STE, but who's paying attention to that) running
at 16 MHz all the way through on a 68000.  Low risk engineering with
performance that matches (or slightly beats) the 16-20 MHz 386SX clones
that are now 'utility' PCs.  It'll be nice if someone puts something useful
on VME boards at a hobbyist price, but I can live without it.  The new GDOS
could be a big improvement if it sees the light of day; seems I've read the
same thing about imaging models for PCs and MACs in the last year (True Type,
anyone?).  The Atari Advantage program, which looked like a neat way to make
bitter enemies (start people out on low-end non-upgradable machines while
your main product line is a lot better than that) seems to have died.

Meanwhile, Atari still has a better manufacturer repair program than IBM or
Apple (what, you want me to compare them with Dell?), and they're trying
to help developers where they can.

Seems to me that a year ago there were no STs to be had in the US, and there
was a great deal of doubt that TOS could handle large amounts of hard disk.
Stacy was a nasty joke.  The TT wasn't even a well-defined rumor.  The STE
wasn't even a rumor.  So how's Atari doing compared to that?

What is catastrophic is the situation of Atari dealers.  There's no prospect
that the people who went out of business getting tortured a little more every
week are ever going to be made whole.  But that isn't the whole story of
Atari STs.  The stuff above is part of the story too.

                                   Steve J.

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Dec01.071140.10836@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>In article <36363@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Golly........!
>>
>What is catastrophic is the situation of Atari dealers.  There's no prospect
>week are ever going to be made whole.  But that isn't the whole story of
>Atari STs.  The stuff above is part of the story too.
>
>                                   Steve J.

Both of my once exclusive ATARI dealers are now selling
Amigas and clones...

"we have been forced to..."  as they say.
Both dealers complain heavily about ATARI as a company...
doesn't make the consumer too excited about buying into it.

Also, they say they are having a hard time justifying why
people should buy an ATARI over a mac, or a clone given the
prices these days.

I always remind myself, with all my "gripin' " , that my ST
can still do what it always has done.  TEMPUS is still great.

-kevin

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/02/90)

thaanuj@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (John Thaanum) writes:

- For one thing, everybody complains that support from atari is
- terrible and dealers can't seem to get anywhere with atari.  Perhaps
- these "dealers" are the kinds that have one or two ataris in the far
- corner.  IB Computers is atari only, they do big volume, and atari
- seems to grant them their every wish.  If these other struggling
- dealers would try to stock enough inventory to make it worth atari's
- while to support them, the support would be there.
-
- All I know is that at this particular dealership (there is another
- IB store in Portland, OR which I have never been to) I get great
- service, lots of selection, and pleasant discussion about the world
- of atari computers.

This is the same in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I hear good things
from Houston.  I also hear of great Atari support in South Carolina
from Sheldon Winick's Computer Studio dealership.  He has MS-DOSers
come in his store wishing they had support in the area like the ST
does.  From what I understand, he has walls of software and all
hardware on display.  Some dealers, like the one I frequent in the
Bay Area, won't display (but will order on request) Atari's 44meg
removable which a lot of customers don't have the interest in or the
cash for.

A lot of the stuff I buy from SF is at or below mail order cost.
This is because I support him.  I give him copies of the latest
European demos, share rumors with him, and buy stuff from him.  There
are at least 3 more dealers within an hour of him, not to mention a
few MIDI stores which sell Atari products.  If you support your
dealer, he will support you.  For some, this seems hard to believe,
but it works with very little effort.

--

mboen@nixdorf.de (Martin Boening) (12/03/90)

In <36363@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:

>Golly........!
>
>Where are all the Atari Cheerleaders....????
>
>Where are all the diehard Atari Apologists....????
>
>Where are all the Atari Ostriches who still believe that if we "wait until
>COMDEX" everthing will be just fine...????
>
>Why don't you jump all over the folks who have been expressing concerns over
>"real life" experiences with trying to deal with Atari Corp's non-interest
>in our marketplace...????
>
>I dunno... seems like the "faithful" are slipping...
>
>BobR

Seems to me, nobody gives a damn about this kind of discussions any more.
They've happened too often to care about. They don't add anything new to
anyone's base of knowledge, they're not thrilling, they just bore people to
death.

Probably most of the people posting in support of Atari in the last couple
of flareups of this subject have kill files that work on article contents,
so whenever some article predicts imminent death of Atari Corp, they don't
even see it. You could try posting in Esperanto to get past these :-).

The point is - nobody cares if Atari dies or is bought by Commodore or
builds NeXTstations in agreement with Jobs or what. People here just have
gotten tired of it. I have too, so this is it. Luckily I'm using the nn
news reader so I can skip anything with suspicious Subject: lines.

Bye bye, gripers.
Martin
Disclaimer: This opinion is mine. If anyone wants it, make me an offer.

--
Email: in the   USA ->  mboening.pad@nixdorf.com
       outside  USA ->  mboening.pad@nixdorf.de

pietrzak@fox.CES.CWRU.Edu (John Pietrzak) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec02.051813.2131@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>thaanuj@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (John Thaanum) writes:
>
>- All I know is that at this particular dealership (there is another
>- IB store in Portland, OR which I have never been to) I get great
>- service, lots of selection, and pleasant discussion about the world
>- of atari computers.
>
>This is the same in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I hear good things
>from Houston.  I also hear of great Atari support in South Carolina...

Don't forget Ohio!  Down in Dayton, I've got three good dealers nearby
(including the famed MicrOtyme).

JP

seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) (12/03/90)

I retract my earilier statement that Atari ST is dying.  What is dying is

1.  Dealer support, and

2.  Interest by the general computing public and major software publishers.

Outside of these two areas, there are lots of signs of strength:

1.  There are plenty of ST periodicals.  I just picked up a half dozen.  Some
of these are available at general computer stores (not just Atari dealers).

2.  New software and hardware products and updates to old products are still
being released.  I've read reviews this week of 3 68030 upgrades.

3.  Atari is still making and improving on the ST.  The STe is shipping.  The
Stacy is shipping.  TOS 1.4 is shipping.  The TT and Mega STe sound darn close
to shipping..e

4.  There are plenty of mail order shops with lots of titles available.

No, the ST doesn't look like it's going to replace DOS or the Mac as the most
popular computers.  It doesn't even look like were giving the Amiga much to
worry about.  But why does that have to kill the Atari?  Isn't there enough
room in the market for a fourth computer standard?  Just because the ST is #4
doesn't make it dead.  It just makes it #4.

Owning a popular computer makes your life easier.  More software, more dealers.
But just becauase a computer isn't popular doesn't make it inferior.  It just
means you have to work a little harder to find the parts you need.  But if you
take that time, you may have a better computer than if you took the first IBM
clone that got stuck under you're nose.

Yes, I'd love for Atari the be the most popular computer.  I'd like there to
be plenty of dealers, and Borland and Microsoft writing software for it.  But
those aren't the critical issues.  The critical issues for me are:

1.  Is there another computer that can do what I'm doing with my ST for less
    money?

2.  Is there another computer that can do what I'm doing sufficiently better
    to justify paying more than I do for my Atari ST?

3.  Is there another computer than can do something my Atari can't, and is worth
    paying more than I do for my Atari ST?

I think the ST/TT family can survive as a #4 computer.  I think there are
enough users and developers out there that I'll continue to find the software,
hardware, parts, and support that I want and need.  It may not always be as
easy as with an IBM or Mac.  But with a little work, I can have a better system
for less money than with either of the big two.

--
					Matthew Seitz
					seitz@netcom.UUCP

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (12/04/90)

in article <mboen.660171396@peun33>, mboen@nixdorf.de (Martin Boening) says:

> In <36363@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>
>>Golly........!
>>
>>Where are all the Atari Cheerleaders....????
>>
>>Where are all the diehard Atari Apologists....????
>>
>>Where are all the Atari Ostriches who still believe that if we "wait until
>>COMDEX" everthing will be just fine...????
>>
>>Why don't you jump all over the folks who have been expressing concerns over
>>"real life" experiences with trying to deal with Atari Corp's non-interest
>>in our marketplace...????
>>
>>I dunno... seems like the "faithful" are slipping...
>>
>>BobR
>
> Seems to me, nobody gives a damn about this kind of discussions any more.
> They've happened too often to care about. They don't add anything new to
> anyone's base of knowledge, they're not thrilling, they just bore people to
> death.
>
> [....]
> The point is - nobody cares if Atari dies or is bought by Commodore or
> builds NeXTstations in agreement with Jobs or what. People here just have
> gotten tired of it. I have too, so this is it. Luckily I'm using the nn
> news reader so I can skip anything with suspicious Subject: lines.

Finally! Someone who sums up the entire situation. I remember when reading
news was fun and most of all a learning experience. Seems like the quality
of people and information here is slipping a great deal.

Remember when you didn't need a news reader with a kill file? or nn to
sort through the trash and the good stuff. <sigh>

Maybe someday, comp.sys.atari.st will come back around to its intended
purpose in life: to discuss the Atari ST computer. In the meantime, I
guess we all have to use news readers like nn to get rid of the trash
that Bob Rotelle (and others) write.

John Townsend 					   ames!atari!towns
Atari Corporation
"I know I need something.. I just don't know what it is!"

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank G. Dahncke) (12/04/90)

seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) writes:

>I retract my earilier statement that Atari ST is dying.  What is dying is

>1.  Dealer support, and

>2.  Interest by the general computing public and major software publishers.

>Outside of these two areas, there are lots of signs of strength:

>1.  There are plenty of ST periodicals.  I just picked up a half dozen.  Some
>of these are available at general computer stores (not just Atari dealers).

>2.  New software and hardware products and updates to old products are still
>being released.  I've read reviews this week of 3 68030 upgrades.

>3.  Atari is still making and improving on the ST.  The STe is shipping.  The
>Stacy is shipping.  TOS 1.4 is shipping.  The TT and Mega STe sound darn close
>to shipping..e

>4.  There are plenty of mail order shops with lots of titles available.

>No, the ST doesn't look like it's going to replace DOS or the Mac as the most
>popular computers.  It doesn't even look like were giving the Amiga much to
>worry about.  But why does that have to kill the Atari?  Isn't there enough
>room in the market for a fourth computer standard?  Just because the ST is #4
>doesn't make it dead.  It just makes it #4.

>Owning a popular computer makes your life easier.  More software, more dealers.
>But just becauase a computer isn't popular doesn't make it inferior.  It just
>means you have to work a little harder to find the parts you need.  But if you
>take that time, you may have a better computer than if you took the first IBM
>clone that got stuck under you're nose.

>Yes, I'd love for Atari the be the most popular computer.  I'd like there to
>be plenty of dealers, and Borland and Microsoft writing software for it.  But
>those aren't the critical issues.  The critical issues for me are:

>1.  Is there another computer that can do what I'm doing with my ST for less
>    money?

>2.  Is there another computer that can do what I'm doing sufficiently better
>    to justify paying more than I do for my Atari ST?

>3.  Is there another computer than can do something my Atari can't, and is worth
>    paying more than I do for my Atari ST?

>I think the ST/TT family can survive as a #4 computer.  I think there are
>enough users and developers out there that I'll continue to find the software,
>hardware, parts, and support that I want and need.  It may not always be as
>easy as with an IBM or Mac.  But with a little work, I can have a better system
>for less money than with either of the big two.

I totally agree with Matthew on every point. All reades of this newsgroup
should print out this article and pin it to their bedroom wall. If you
don't agree with this, why are you reading this newsgroup for ?

Matthew, this is my letter of the month.

                       Techno

--
| techno@zelator.in-berlin.de ||| Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.in-berlin.de   / | \ Hardcore ST user !  ====================== |

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (12/04/90)

>In article <obJIrRW00WAx8B1lRW@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
>The ST is dying.

I have to agree.  I had been planning on upgrading my ST to 4megs to run
the GNU stuff, but I've decided to save the money for another machine.
Personally, I'm partial to Sun and their prices are getting better all
the time.  I had wanted a NeXT I don't think it's going to make it either.
With the new Sun SPARC 2 announced, the market for SPARC 1s will open up
to us low-end types.

I don't think I could ever buy an IBM drone.  They have definitely overtaken
the ST in raw computing power but I still don't think much of the architecture
nor the OS and I don't like Intel chips.

An apple is a possibility, but it too is limited and pricey as well.

Power without the support isn't worth any price.
-chip

* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>

In article <17809@netcom.UUCP> seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) writes:

>Recently, Bill Gates, in defending the PC versus NeXT and Mac, said "What is
>there that you can do on those machines that can't be done on the PC."  I think
>the same (almost) applies to the ST.  I can't think of anything that can be done
>on the PC, or Mac that you can't do on the ST.

This issue came up recently with AREN.  We are trying to develop an information
service for multiple simultaneous users.  Currently the service is piecemeal
with some on Unix boxes (not ours), some on a PC, some on CIS, and some on
an ST.  We are trying to decide how to integrate this into on managable
entity.  Once person really wants to develop the who thing in DOS.  I had
though briefly about some form of Atari, but quickly dropped the idea since
I didn't think we could depend on Atari being there.  The problem came down
to this.  On the PC we had to build all of our Communications, Tasking, and
Terminal interfaces from the ground up.  On a Unix box we could rely on the
OS and its libraries to provide these facilities -- we only needed to worry
about the application.

PCs and STs don't make very good Unix hosts, though 386en are getting
better.  A machine built with multi-tasking in mind tends to be cleaner.

For our needs a PC or ST just doesn't cut it.  A Mac would only be used
to layout our newsletter and brochures (but I wouldn't pay Apple for A/UX.)
The TT provides Unix, but at what cost.  We know that Sun is going to support
us and there is a 3rd party verdorship out there.  Can the Atari promise that?

My ST is a fine smart terminal and a good typesetter with TeX (but it is
slooowww).

For want of a nail....

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/04/90)

In article <2760@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
>in article <mboen.660171396@peun33>, mboen@nixdorf.de (Martin Boening) says:
>>
>> In <36363@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>
>>>Golly........!
>>>
>>>Where are all the Atari Cheerleaders....????

Ooooh, I feel a tug on the line.  Looks like we got one...
I guess he has a reason since it is his job at stake...

>> Seems to me, nobody gives a damn about this kind of discussions any more.
>> They've happened too often to care about. They don't add anything new to
>> anyone's base of knowledge, they're not thrilling, they just bore people to
>> death.

I dunno about that.  Seems to me that it is a unique opportunity to let
the various companies know how you feel about their products/strategy in
a timely fashion.  Hey, if they don't like what they're hearing, then
maybe they should change their ways?

>> gotten tired of it. I have too, so this is it. Luckily I'm using the nn
>> news reader so I can skip anything with suspicious Subject: lines.

Hey man, if you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore what is
going on around you, that is fine.  That is your right.  But trying to
intimidate others to do the same is wrong.  If you'll notice, it is
the supposed "cheerleaders" who usually use the foul language and insulting
tone.

>Finally! Someone who sums up the entire situation. I remember when reading
>news was fun and most of all a learning experience. Seems like the quality
>of people and information here is slipping a great deal.

Yeah, it used to be fun when there was some sense of life in the Atari
computing world.  However, as the ST's fortunes have faltered, so has
the interest in talking about them.  If you'd like to increase the
S/N, why not post some decent articles once in a while instead of
whining about the people you don't agree with.  As an example, I
would point towards Dave Haynie at Commodore.  Check out comp.sys.amiga
sometime and get a load of the wealth of straightforward information
he provides to users on a regular basis.  Take a look at all the people
who post from Commodore and Apple on their respective groups.  Atari
people have pretty much dropped out of sight, except for an occasional
message here and there.

>Remember when you didn't need a news reader with a kill file? or nn to
>sort through the trash and the good stuff. <sigh>

Well, if you choose to limit your scope by filtering people out, that
is your business.  I prefer to read all the articles so that I get
a balanced point of view, rather than just the views of those I already
know agree with me.

>Maybe someday, comp.sys.atari.st will come back around to its intended
>purpose in life: to discuss the Atari ST computer. In the meantime, I
>guess we all have to use news readers like nn to get rid of the trash
>that Bob Rotelle (and others) write.

Maybe someday Atari Corp. will come back to life and there will be
something interesting and exciting to talk about for a change.  As
for considering dissenting viewpoints trash, I would say that is a big
part of the problem with yourself and Atari Corp.  Maybe you should
do more listening and less blustering.

>John Townsend 					   ames!atari!towns
>Atari Corporation
>"I know I need something.. I just don't know what it is!"

A more balanced perspective I suspect....

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/05/90)

John Tewnsend writes:

>Finally! Someone who sums up the entire situation. I remember when reading
>news was fun and most of all a learning experience. Seems like the quality
>of people and information here is slipping a great deal.

I remember when Atari Corp. produced and marketed quality, cutting-edge
products, instead of jerking around users, dealers and developers.
It seems the quality of people and information at Atari Corp has slipped
a great deal.

>Maybe someday, comp.sys.atari.st will come back around to its intended
>purpose in life: to discuss the Atari ST computer. In the meantime, I
>guess we all have to use news readers like nn to get rid of the trash
>that Bob Rotelle (and others) write.

Maybe someday Atari Corp. will come back around to its intended purpose
in life: to produce and market quality, cutting-edge computers.  In the
meantime, I guess we all just have to put up with the with the trash
that John Tewnsend (and Atari Corp.) write.

Bob Retelle

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (12/05/90)

obnoxious Bob R comments deleted.
`
`Maybe someday Atari Corp. will come back around to its intended purpose
`in life: to produce and market quality, cutting-edge computers.  In the
`meantime, I guess we all just have to put up with the with the trash
`that John Tewnsend (and Atari Corp.) write.
`
`
`Bob Retelle

*MILD FLAME ON*

C'mon, Bob. I, for one, apprieciate John Townsend's presence on c.s.a.s.,
and I'm sure others do too.  John usually posts good information.  You
usually post inflammatory fluff.  I vote for John.

*MILD FLAME OFF*

By the way, I never heard Atari claim to be a cutting edge technology company.
They usually build powerful computers that people can afford...  	lNot
necessarily the _most_ powerful machines.
--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

rost@aqua.enet.dec.com (BRost) (12/05/90)

In article <obJIrRW00WAx8B1lRW@andrew.cmu.edu>, mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes...
>Get a Mac, not an IBM. IBMs are for corporate fascists, and besides,
>Macs are better (ease of use, etc.) Apple isn't about to fade into the
>woodwork like Atari periodically does. If you can't afford a Mac (get at
>least a IIsi, not a Classic (yuk, same slow processor as an ST, and 9"
>mono "graphics")) then get a Spectre GCR (wait for Version 3.0.)
>
>I'm getting a Mac IIsi if my parents can/will help me afford it
>(although it's pretty cheap here with student discounts, $3000 is still
>a lot of money) or a Spectre GCR if that's all I can afford.

$3000 is a REAL LOT of money.  Maybe my STs aren't Macs, but I've invested all
of $500 in my Atari stuff.  I just  can't see where buying a "home" computer
for the price of a car is a good move, sorry.

					Brian Rost @aqua.dec.com

					508-467-6289

	*						   *
	*  The above does not reflect the opinions of	   *
	*  my employer.					   *
	*						   *
	*  If music is outlawed, only outlaws will be      *
	*  musicians.					   *
	*						   *

gcarter@globey.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (12/06/90)

I wouldn't BUY ANY MAC.  For god sake, I would wait to see what Mr. Small
does with his new 030 add on board, you could save your self at least a
grand this way, and the performance specs of Mr. Small's board is going to
be a lot better than a IIsi for cripes sake!

Not only that but the MAC IS LAME for playing games, I don't play games
often but when I do, my ST is far better than any Mac game program.

I would RECONSIDER if your a student, like me who is poor and currently
in the dog house.

--Gregory

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.162218.16820@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> gcarter@globey.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>I wouldn't BUY ANY MAC.  For god sake, I would wait to see what Mr. Small
>does with his new 030 add on board, you could save your self at least a
>grand this way, and the performance specs of Mr. Small's board is going to
>be a lot better than a IIsi for cripes sake!

The only problem with this line of reasoning is that nobody knows
for sure when this board will be produced (if at all).  With the
Mac, and other computers that are currently on the shelves, you
get a powerful computer that you can use today.  If one were to
follow your line of thought, then you would never buy a computer,
but always wait for that marginally better one around the corner.
Any computer you buy is going to be "obsolete" in a year or two
(maybe sooner!) anyway.

>Not only that but the MAC IS LAME for playing games, I don't play games
>often but when I do, my ST is far better than any Mac game program.

Is this really a useful way to judge a computer....by how well it
plays games???  C'mon...Nintendo machines are cheap. :-)

>I would RECONSIDER if your a student, like me who is poor and currently
>in the dog house.

Yes, computers are expensive, BUT Apple, Commodore, NeXT, Sun
and many other companies offer SUBSTANTIAL discounts to
students.  Atari does not, Dave Small does not, Jim Allen does
not.  You should also consider that.

>--Gregory

Cheers,

Chris (I will not be intimidated) Mauritz

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

keithr@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (U.D.M.) (12/06/90)

I personal wouldn't buy a MAC either.  I am not a student so I wouldn't
be able to get the student discount.  Plain and simple I can't
afford a MAC even if I wanted to buy one.  My ST still delievers me
more bang for the buck than a MAC with the software that I can buy
at VERY reasonable prices.  There are a lot of people around that
can't afford to go out and spend $3000 on a new computer.  For you
that can, great, go do it, but PLEASE stop belly aching on the net.
It is getting a little old.

Just my two cents...

Keith
keithr@icogem3.ICO.TEK.COM

In article <36593@cup.portal.com> Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com writes:

>>Atari people have pretty much dropped out of sight, except for an
>>occasional.....etc.
>
>Thanks to people like you and Bob Retelle who don't seem to have
>anything better to do than vent spleen. You certainly have a right to,
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you.  I feel vindicated.

>but your message gets really boring after it is read about 20 times...

Ah, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  What one man throws
away is another man's treasure.

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------

kmm2765@isc.rit.edu (K.M. Mosiejczuk ) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.003112.25417@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <1990Dec5.162218.16820@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> gcarter@globey.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>>I wouldn't BUY ANY MAC.  For god sake, I would wait to see what Mr. Small

I echo that thought...

>Any computer you buy is going to be "obsolete" in a year or two
>(maybe sooner!) anyway.

Computers don't become obsolete in a year or two, they just stop being
CUTTING EDGE! There is a difference. Nothing is obsolete unless it
doesn't fulfill anyone's needs.

>>I would RECONSIDER if your a student, like me who is poor and currently
>>in the dog house.
>
>Yes, computers are expensive, BUT Apple, Commodore, NeXT, Sun
>and many other companies offer SUBSTANTIAL discounts to
>students.  Atari does not, Dave Small does not, Jim Allen does
>not.  You should also consider that.

Yes, however, Atari does not need to offer Substantial discounts because
their equipment is low price already. And besides, almost NOBODY would
by a mac without those discounts. By your logic, you should by the
computer with the biggest discount on it... If so, I've got this old
8bit for 75% off (because you are a student of course).

>Chris (I will not be intimidated) Mauritz
		      ^^^^^^^^^^^
			rational

Kurt (I can't take it any more) Mosiejczuk

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.003112.25417@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <1990Dec5.162218.16820@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> gcarter@globey.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>>I wouldn't BUY ANY MAC.  For god sake, I would wait to see what Mr. Small
>>does with his new 030 add on board, you could save your self at least a
>>grand this way, and the performance specs of Mr. Small's board is going to
>>be a lot better than a IIsi for cripes sake!
>
>The only problem with this line of reasoning is that nobody knows
>for sure when this board will be produced (if at all).

So unless you have an urgent need to buy a machine today, wait 6 months
and see what happens.  In this market, waiting can only benefit you.

>>I would RECONSIDER if your a student, like me who is poor and currently
>>in the dog house.
>
>Yes, computers are expensive, BUT Apple, Commodore, NeXT, Sun
>and many other companies offer SUBSTANTIAL discounts to
>students.  Atari does not, Dave Small does not, Jim Allen does
>not.  You should also consider that.

Also consider that an STe with the third-party hardware being discussed
will probably come in below even Apple's discounted prices.  (Commodore's
& NeXT's educational discounts do seem pretty deep, though.)

Me, I need to buy another car before I can contemplate another computer...
--
"The goons are riding motorcycles, but WE'VE  | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
 got a whole big metal car! This will be like | The Apollo Systems Division of

entropy@ai.mit.edu (entropy) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.003112.25417@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
   Yes, computers are expensive, BUT Apple, Commodore, NeXT, Sun
   and many other companies offer SUBSTANTIAL discounts to
   students.  Atari does not, Dave Small does not, Jim Allen does
   not.  You should also consider that.

I have never understood this line of reasoning.  Why are Apple,
Commodore, NeXT, and Sun the good guys for ripping off everyone except
students, and Atari the bad guys for giving everyone a reasonable
price?
                      -e

No sig, my files are in limbo.  Gnsrgh.

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (12/07/90)

In article <36556@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>I guess we all just have to put up with the with the trash
>that John Townsend (and Atari Corp.) write.

I would rather we didn't insult the Atari employees who write here in case
they feel that they would rather stop writing. I appreciate the technical help
and occasional scoop on company policies they sometimes post and would be very
sad if they were to stop. Those employees are not the policy makers
but the programmers and engineers and as such should not really take such
flak. At best we can hope that any of our more reasonable gripes are passed
on to higher powers within the company and result in change. (eg. TOS 1.4
UK distribution)

So Bob, in the interest of keeping in with the company that makes my favourite
computer please "stop yer bitchin'".

>Bob Retelle

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of   !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with     !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being    !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                            !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil         !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK                                                    !

leo@mat500.uucp (C. Bullerdick) (12/08/90)

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:

>I always remind myself, with all my "gripin' " , that my ST
>can still do what it always has done.  TEMPUS is still great.

O-Yeah, and the applications on the ST are even getting 'greater'.
Have you ever seen TurboC, Edison, PKS-Edit, Rufus, Scigraph or Gemini?
Take a look, they are superb!

>-kevin

C. "Leo" B.

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:

>>In article <obJIrRW00WAx8B1lRW@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
>>The ST is dying.
Nope, it's alive and becomes kicking again!

>I have to agree.  I had been planning on upgrading my ST to 4megs to run
>the GNU stuff, but I've decided to save the money for another machine.
Wait till january, ..., then get a TT!

>Personally, I'm partial to Sun and their prices are getting better all
>the time.  I had wanted a NeXT I don't think it's going to make it either.
>With the new Sun SPARC 2 announced, the market for SPARC 1s will open up
>to us low-end types.
In spite of buying a SunSparcNeXTMipsMac, i would prefer to get a new car,
perhaps a 2nd-hand Porsche? THAT'S how the price is one have to pay for one
of these in Europe!

>I don't think I could ever buy an IBM drone.  They have definitely overtaken
>the ST in raw computing power but I still don't think much of the architecture
>nor the OS and I don't like Intel chips.
"No friend would give a PC to a friend" is something true i've read elsewhere...

>An apple is a possibility, but it too is limited and pricey as well.

>Power without the support isn't worth any price.
If you'v got the power, there are ways to solve every problem, but if
one have just support...
>-chip

C. Leo B.

pietrzak@john.CES.CWRU.Edu (John Pietrzak) (12/08/90)

In article <36556@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>John Tewnsend writes:
>
>>Maybe someday, comp.sys.atari.st will come back around to its intended
>>purpose in life: to discuss the Atari ST computer. In the meantime, I
>>guess we all have to use news readers like nn to get rid of the trash
>>that Bob Rotelle (and others) write.
>
>Maybe someday Atari Corp. will come back around to its intended purpose
>in life: to produce and market quality, cutting-edge computers.  In the
>meantime, I guess we all just have to put up with the with the trash
>that John Tewnsend (and Atari Corp.) write.

Maybe someday we can get this Just Gripin' string closed down!?!  Here,
let me help: J.T., You're a moron.  B.R., You're a moron.  Everyone
reading this, you are also morons.  Of course, the person writing this
is also an incredible moron.  Anyone else that the reader of this article
would like me to call a moron, ok, he/she/it is a moron. All right,
everyone happy?

John, sit back and consider how it looks for an official Atari employee
to be calling anyone on the atari board's messages trash, no matter how
much they may deserve it.

Bob, knee-jerk reactions will not regain your honor.  I usually have more
respect for someone who can keep his cool under pressure, not just trade
blows on the same level.  Don't let people pull you down to their level,
and they may just respect you for it!

Please, people, lets practice some restraint?  :)

Thanks

JP

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (12/11/90)

In article <1063@mat500.uucp> leo@mat500.uucp (C. Bullerdick) writes:
>ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>
>>I always remind myself, with all my "gripin' " , that my ST
>>can still do what it always has done.  TEMPUS is still great.
>
>O-Yeah, and the applications on the ST are even getting 'greater'.
>Have you ever seen TurboC, Edison, PKS-Edit, Rufus, Scigraph or Gemini?
>Take a look, they are superb!
>
>>-kevin
>
>C. "Leo" B.

I would love to *SEE* them--but where. My point is that I can't
find a dealer (in the DC area) where I can view software. Everything
is mail order. Unless I see a review that makes it look like the
software will fit my needs, I never really get it.

-Charlie

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec10.191405.1924@wam.umd.edu>, charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) writes:
>In article <1063@mat500.uucp> leo@mat500.uucp (C. Bullerdick) writes:
>
>>[....description of neato software...]
>
>I would love to *SEE* them--but where. My point is that I can't
>find a dealer (in the DC area) where I can view software. Everything
>is mail order. Unless I see a review that makes it look like the
>software will fit my needs, I never really get it.
>
>-Charlie

I would recommend to ANY ST user that they get a subscription to Current Notes
magazine.  I believe they are now $27 per year.  They have great reviews,
and will actually tell you that something is caca (I have never seen STart
do that, though they have reviewed some real dogs).  This mag started out
as a newsletter for several large Atari Users Groups in the DC area, and just
kept getting bigger and better.  They also have a great PD library, and are
commited to keeping it up to date (for example, I was told that I could send
my purchased PD disk of whatever version n and they would put version n+1 on
it for free).  I have bought disks from places and found them to have bad
arc files, old versions, files missing (No .rsc!  Arrrgh!) etc.  I have never
had these or any other problems with CN.  For those of you that use the
Spectre, there is a monthly column which discusses this.  Whenever I meet a
new STer (it actually happens quite frequently, by the way), I always show
them an issue, and as of yet they have ALL bought subscriptions.  The mag is
thick and meaty, no color adds.  It is produced completely on an ST system
(and it looks really nice, I belive they use a combination of Pagestream,
Calamus, and Publisher ST).  This mag can cure the MAIN problem with most
STers in the US, mainly that they don't know about what is available, and don't
want to find out the hard way.  Reviews are the main emphasis in this mag,
not marketing/advertising crap.

The address for CN is :

        Current Notes Subscriptions
        122 N. Johnson Rd.
        Sterling, VA  22170
        (703)450-4761                  $27 for 1 years subscription
                                      (10 issues, they skip aug and jan)

If you call them, you may be able to arrange ordering just one issue, to
check it out.  They are also sold in several book/magazine stores in the DC
area, and at some Atari dealers (chicken and the egg . . ).

I am in no way connected with CN, other than as a satisfied customer.  So
satisfied in fact, that I bought all their back issues so I have a complete
library of ST info (how many of you can say THAT?!?).  If you are a somewhat
discouraged ST owner, $27 is a lot cheaper than a new computer!

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/16/90)

	Wow. This is a change. First, let me confess, I am an Amiga
owner who's peeking in on the other groups. I'm not here to flame
anyone on the Atari ST or anything like that, though, so don't worry.

	I'm checking in mainly because I was wondering what had
happened to all the ST people and just happen to pass by the newsgroup
during an RN scan. I can remember a time when locally (Michigan) the
BBSs were alive with the Atari ST people predicting that Commodore
would die seeing as Atari beat them to the market and how the ST was
out selling the Amiga 7-1. Heh. In a way, I kind of miss those folks.
I know of only one Atari ST person in my local area who is active on
any of the BBSs in the area. One.
	So I thought I'd peek in to find out where they had all gone.
At one time, I had considered them a nusiance as it seemed they were
always coming into the Amiga echos on Fidonet and starting arguments.
(It never really occurred to me that some Amiga folks were doing the
same on the ST Echos at that time, though now I know they did.)
	Now, some of these posts are almost depressing. I know how
much I love my Amiga and how disappointed I would be if it didn't
look like it was going anywhere, etc. As much as I want the Amiga
succeed, I don't want the ST to do badly. Imagine what all those guys
who bought TI99's must feel like!

	Just thought I'd take a moment to mention this: If Atari does
end up calling it quits, and you guys make the transfer to another
machine, just thought I'd let you guys know that some weirdo in the
Amiga market has come out with an Atari ST emulator. It's called the
Medusa Board and it seems to run rather well. At least you won't have
to give up all your old software in the switch. With an accellerated
Amiga, it is said the board will run ST software twice as fast as a
normal ST. Weird.

	Anyways, good luck. This wasn't meant to start a flame war or
anything. Just felt like speaking my feelings for a moment.

				-Moriland

P.S. You guys got one great victory over Amiga. You have Lords of
Conquest for the ST. It's never been ported to the Amiga and I've
always wanted a copy for my machine. Great game.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"As if things weren't bad enough already...."| Founder of: "Evil Young

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/16/90)

>>Get a Mac, not an IBM. IBMs are for corporate fascists, and besides,

Get a life. I'd recommend an IBM clone before a Mac. I don't even OWN
an IBM anymore. (Sold it to buy a second Amiga.) Macs are indeed very
easy to use, but the price they ask is simply outrageous. Combine that
with the fact that they are poorly designed and most of them have
trouble with the latest version of the OS, and it adds up to a bad
idea all the way around. Part of the reason these folks BOUGHT an ST
in the first place was because they didn't feel like shelling out the
big bucks you need for a Mac!

>$3000 is a REAL LOT of money.  Maybe my STs aren't Macs, but I've invested all
>of $500 in my Atari stuff.  I just  can't see where buying a "home" computer
>for the price of a car is a good move, sorry.

Heck, for $3000 you could get an Amiga 3000! I mean, if you're going
to go spending that much money, might as well get something you won't
need to expand right away!

				-Moriland

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"As if things weren't bad enough already...."| Founder of: "Evil Young
Please excuse my ramblings as they come from | Mutants For A Better Tommorow.
a diseased mind. -Moriland                   | hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/16/90)

Commodore's Student Discounts are amazingly deep. A good friend of
mine bought the 25MHz version A3000 just recently for only $2600!
(Normally it is closer to costing $4000.) It would seem that Commodore
was giving the monitors away free as a promotion at the time so the
1950 (around $500 cause it's multi-sync) didn't add any extra cost.

					-Moriland

--