[comp.sys.atari.st] RFI, the FCC, and STs

rwa@cs.athabascau.ca (Ross Alexander) (12/07/90)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>just pointing out that Atari has pulled the FCC-is-holding-us-up stunt
>so many times in the past that maybe (just maybe) the fault lies at
>Atari.  How many times can you tell your teacher that your dog ate your
>homework without finally taking the blame for not doing it? :-)
>Besides, even the stuff that did pass must've been marginal.  My old
>1040ST used to create snow on any TV I was watching in the same room.
>Of course, matters didn't get much better when I removed the RF shielding
>to make room for my RAM expansion board. :-)

I can add a few things here.  I have an old 1040st, and a few
peripherals for it (SCSI disk, printer, modem).  I also have an
AT&T 6300, a rather doddering PC-clone machine; it has an internal 30
meg drive.

I am particularly concious of RFI [radio frequency interference]
because, as a radio amateur I am constantly running both radios and
computers in close proximity.  For those who are interested, the
application is amateur packet radio networking, a very interesting mix
of two technical hobbies :-).  But I digress.

In short, the 1040st howls all up and down the bands.  We're talking
continuous S9+20dB heterodynes and growlies from baseband all the way
up to 450 MHz (to be charitable, it does fall off somewhat in the UHF
bands. On 145.01 MHz it's still pretty damned loud).  How this thing
ever got past the FCC I can't begin to imagine.  I can only assume
Part 15 subpart J class B means "leaks RF like a sieve".  It took
fairly heroic measures to get the intereference down to the point
where I could recieve anything from other stations; lots of bypassing,
coax cables, chokes, shielding, and physical separation were needed.
Having done all that it works fine (good serial I/O, lotsa horsepower
:-).

Now in contrast, the pc6300 is _silent_.  A little rumble on 75 metres
perhaps, but otherwise dead quiet straight out of the box.  A nice
steel chassis, bolted together quite thoroughly; chokes on all cables
running in or out.  Of course it's an 8086 abomination but at least it
isn't destroying all reception in a 30 metre radius!  And it's only
certified to class B.  Most strange.

The thing that really puts the cap on this, however, is the ds2100
that I am pounding this note in via.  16MHz risc box (mips engine), 12
Megs of ram, a whole raft of externally cabled SCSI devices, ethernet
connections, a mouse, a 1000 x 900 display, oceans of transistors all
frantically switching, right?  And it has a class A certification,
which is even more relaxed than the class B of machines intended for
home use.

And yet, and yet, it's almost as quiet on 2 metres (~ 146 MHz) as the
pc6300.  What exactly is Atari doing wrong, and why are their machines
so noisy?  Corner-shaving and cost cutting have limits, y'know.

Yours for RF sanity,
Ross Alexander    rwa@cs.athabascau.ca    (403) 675 6311    ve6pdq

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (12/07/90)

In article <479@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca> rwa@cs.athabascau.ca (Ross Alexander) writes:
>cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>>just pointing out that Atari has pulled the FCC-is-holding-us-up stunt
>>so many times in the past that maybe (just maybe) the fault lies at
>>Atari.  How many times can you tell your teacher that your dog ate your

> ... It took
>fairly heroic measures to get the intereference down to the point
>where I could recieve anything from other stations; lots of bypassing,
>coax cables, chokes, shielding, and physical separation were needed.
>Having done all that it works fine (good serial I/O, lotsa horsepower
>:-).
>
> ... and why are their machines
>so noisy?  Corner-shaving and cost cutting have limits, y'know.

     Well, yeah.  You guys have pretty much state the reality.
Atari has been aiming at cheap computing and that's your answer.

They leave the stuff as marginal as they can get away with
for RFI because anything you do about RFI costs money.
But taking it from the top, the problem starts with IO interfacing.
You can build a dirt cheap computer with no IO.  A grounded cage
does it.  But as soon as you start adding IO ports you've got
troubles.  The Atari ST is rich with IO ports, and not all
of the best possible quality.  You've got the 2 MIDI ports (the
basic spec of which looks noisy I might add -- not Atari's fault),
an RS-232C, semi-SCSI, Centronics, 2 joystick and cartridge port.
Take that "Centronics" port.  The original Centronics used every
other wire as a balance which could have helped cancelled "some"
RFI (doesn't help that much anyway really).  But the Atari doesn't
do anything with them.  Actually, I'd be happier them connected
for data reception like the Amiga.  But the only way to silence
that one is a *very* expensive fully shielded cable.  The cartridge
port should be given a bolt on metal "protector" when its not
in use.  If it was a Japanese company, maybe a hinged door would
have been included.  Also, I'm not sure what the keyboard looks
like if you take that apart.  I have a feeling you'll find it
an excellent source of interesting radio signals. :-)

      In passing, the most impressive *looking* computer I've seen
RFI-wise was the TI-99/4a.  I took this apart and it looked just
beautiful!  All this nifty shielding all over the place. . . .
It looked almost Mil Spec.  I have no real idea about how effective
the shielding was, but it certainly looked nice.  Another matter
about the basic PC boxes is that nobody has to research them
anymore.  A lot is known about them.  You just have to look at
a "good" example and copy it.  Be that as it may, a lot of IBM
related stuff has failed FCC over the years.  Not surprisingly,
from what I gather, a lot of it was IO stuff.
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (12/08/90)

In article <479@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, rwa@cs.athabascau.ca (Ross Alexander) writes...
>In short, the 1040st howls all up and down the bands.  We're talking
>continuous S9+20dB heterodynes and growlies from baseband all the way
>up to 450 MHz (to be charitable, it does fall off somewhat in the UHF
>bands. On 145.01 MHz it's still pretty damned loud).  How this thing
>ever got past the FCC I can't begin to imagine.  I can only assume
>Part 15 subpart J class B means "leaks RF like a sieve".  It took
>fairly heroic measures to get the intereference down to the point
>where I could recieve anything from other stations; lots of bypassing,
>coax cables, chokes, shielding, and physical separation were needed.
>Having done all that it works fine (good serial I/O, lotsa horsepower
>:-).

This is my first posting in this group in many moons, since I'm a
discouraged Atari owner now using a clone for packet radio among other
things...

But I don't understand the problem.  The _nicest_ thing I can say about
my 1040STe is that it is _quiet_ (at rf).  My no-name clone, and its el
cheapo monitor, make moderately annoying noise on some of the HF bands,
and a little (S1 but enough to clobber weak-signal on 2m, not packet)
on 2 meters.  The 1040St, on the other hand, makes very little noise.
If my wife is using it in the next room, I don't know it.

Note that I _never_ breached its internal shielding to, say, add memory
or an 8530 or TOS1.4 or anything else.  It's still factory-soldered.
And there's no HD, just the build-in sloppy disk, and the Atari color
monitor.  If it could do HDLC (darn, no bus!) it would be a great packet
computer.  I'd check the internal shield integrity.
---
Fred R. Goldstein     k1io     Digital Equipment Corp., Littleton MA
goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com   voice: +1 508 486 7388
 Do you think anyone else on the planet would share my opinions, let
 alone a multi-billion dollar corporation?

dclemans@mentor.com (Dave Clemans @ APD x1292) (12/08/90)

For the record, the two ST systems I have are both relatively
quiet in a RFI sense; while I've never specifically checked, I've
never noticed any interference on nearby TV's, radio's, etc.

I heard the following from someone who visited Atari headquarters
in California...  (i.e. this is all hearsay)

   As far as RFI containment is concerned, they design their systems
   to match the minimal requirements of the country where it's first
   introduced; typically Germany.  To ship product anywhere where
   standards are stricter they have to "patch" the design.

      However, I've heard that Germany is going to change its RFI
      standards soon so that they are greater than or equal to US
      requirements, so the above problem might go away soon.

   The first and foremost requirement on manufacturing is keeping the
   cost down.  If you get lucky things will be fine.  If there is
   a run of "marginal" parts, boards, etc.  there could be noise
   problems, reliability problems, etc.

   Staffing was described as being lower than you would expect in
   a one product startup company.  They basically can only work on
   one product at once; to get different products out they have to
   work on them in series.  If a particular product never gets enough
   priority to reach the top of the queue, it never gets finished.

dgc

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/08/90)

Ross Alexander asks:

>What exactly is Atari doing wrong, and why are their machines
>so noisy?  Corner-shaving and cost cutting have limits, y'know.

Speaking of which, Atari has apparently killed the STacey... couldn't get
it past the FCC...

Perhaps somebody else ought to ask John Townsend to confirm or deny this..
If I asked, it'd probably be taken as a bash or insult...

BobR

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/08/90)

-
- But taking it from the top, the problem starts with IO interfacing.
- You can build a dirt cheap computer with no IO.  A grounded cage
- does it.  But as soon as you start adding IO ports you've got
- troubles.  The Atari ST is rich with IO ports, and not all
- of the best possible quality.  You've got the 2 MIDI ports (the
- basic spec of which looks noisy I might add -- not Atari's fault),
- an RS-232C, semi-SCSI, Centronics, 2 joystick and cartridge port.
- Take that "Centronics" port.  The original Centronics used every
- other wire as a balance which could have helped cancelled "some"
- RFI (doesn't help that much anyway really).

And I bet the TT with all its ports causes lots more problems.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/09/90)

In article <36668@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Ross Alexander asks:
>
>>What exactly is Atari doing wrong, and why are their machines
>>so noisy?  Corner-shaving and cost cutting have limits, y'know.
>
>Speaking of which, Atari has apparently killed the STacey... couldn't get
>it past the FCC...

Last I heard, the STacey only had FCC class A certification.  This
meaning that it isn't intended for home use, only "industrial"
use.

>Perhaps somebody else ought to ask John Townsend to confirm or deny this..
>If I asked, it'd probably be taken as a bash or insult...

I doubt he'll say anything about it at all...

>BobR

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

trh@atari.UUCP (T R Hall) (12/09/90)

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:

>Ross Alexander asks:

>Speaking of which, Atari has apparently killed the STacey... couldn't get
>it past the FCC...
>
>Perhaps somebody else ought to ask John Townsend to confirm or deny this..
>If I asked, it'd probably be taken as a bash or insult...
>
>BobR

	My, aren't _we_ testy? Last time I (an Atari employee) spoke to
someone in sales (in the person of Gary Trameil), we were selling each STacy
we brought into the country.

	Which tends to indicate:
	(A) STacy has passed FCC
	(B) We haven't dropped it

	Of course, now I'm terribly insulted, and will now proceed to go away
and pout and not talk to you nasty users any more. B^).

						TRH

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec7.115131.26377@lsuc.on.ca> jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) writes:
>They leave the stuff as marginal as they can get away with
>for RFI because anything you do about RFI costs money.
>But taking it from the top, the problem starts with IO interfacing.
>You can build a dirt cheap computer with no IO.  A grounded cage
>does it.  But as soon as you start adding IO ports you've got
>troubles.
Not to mention that the FCC and VDE require you to attach something to every
port which can conceiveably be used simultaneously.  For FCC testing, these
peripherals have to be turned on!  So you get their emissions and emissions
from the rat's nest of cables added to your own product's.  For VDE testing,
the peripherals don't have to be turned on, but their cables still act like
antennae.  Atari computers have so many ports, I'd hate to see the test set up.
=Especially= the TT's testing.  That thing has more ports than you can shake
a stick at!

	--Steve

>Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
>lsuc!jimomura
>Byte Information eXchange: jimomura

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (12/16/90)

>Not to mention that the FCC and VDE require you to attach something to every
>port which can conceiveably be used simultaneously.  For FCC testing, these
>peripherals have to be turned on!  So you get their emissions...

Plus the horror stories of things like this: you hook up a monitor or
printer or terminal (which supposedly has passed FCC), and *it* is
putting out so much RFI that your own unit "fails".

I can sympathize with Atari... we're going thru an FCC approval right now.
Something always holds things up.  For instance, first the lab wanted
a ground strap on the keyboard connector.  Okay, so they ship the unit
back, the strap is installed, the unit goes back to the lab, but now it
was damaged in shipping, etc etc.  Then the lab is busy with other stuff.
It goes on and on. What should take a week, takes literally months instead.

Sometimes I'm surprised that *any* equipment actually makes it to market.
 - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>