[comp.sys.atari.st] Keys displaced on Spectre GCR

johnr@praxis.co.uk (John Richards) (10/18/90)

I have just bought a Spectre GCR to use on my Atari 1040STF. I am getting a
problem I have occasionally seen on real Macs, ie the keys on the bottom
two rows of the keyboard are shifted left one place. So if I type 'x' I
get 'z' and 'c' gives me 'x'. The space bar also moves over.

[I may have the direction wrong. It may be right instead of left, in which
case 'z' displays 'x' etc. I'm not near enough to my Atari to check. Still
you get the idea].

Someone told me that on a real Mac you can cure this by unplugging the
keyboard and plugging it back in again. An option not available to me!

Anyone know a solution? It may be important to know that it's a UK Atari.

teexand@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Andrew Dawson) (12/17/90)

In <5450@newton.praxis.co.uk> johnr@praxis.co.uk (John Richards) writes:

>I have just bought a Spectre GCR to use on my Atari 1040STF. I am getting a
>problem I have occasionally seen on real Macs, ie the keys on the bottom
>two rows of the keyboard are shifted left one place. So if I type 'x' I
>get 'z' and 'c' gives me 'x'. The space bar also moves over.
>Someone told me that on a real Mac you can cure this by unplugging the
>keyboard and plugging it back in again. An option not available to me!

We get this on real Mac Plus machines as well. Rebooting usually fixes it.
I haven't had this under Spectre recently - I believe I had it once under
a very old version of the system software (3.2??) but not under 6.0.2/3
It may be be worth checking the settings in the Control panel are set
correctly...

There ARE some problems with the UK keyboard map on Spectre affecting some
characters such as hash, tilde, backslash, etc. This is supposed to be fixed in
Spectre 3.0 when it appears.
--
Andrew Dawson, Computer Centre, University College London, Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT, England.