[comp.sys.atari.st] favourite list

roland@tuvie.UUCP (Inst.f.Allg.Elektrotechnik) (12/09/90)

leo@mat500.uucp (C. Bullerdick) writes:

 > ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
 >
 > > I always remind myself, with all my "gripin' " , that my ST
 > > can still do what it always has done.  TEMPUS is still great.
 >
 > O-Yeah, and the applications on the ST are even getting 'greater'.
 > Have you ever seen TurboC, Edison, PKS-Edit, Rufus, Scigraph or Gemini?
 > Take a look, they are superb!
 >
 > > -kevin
 >
 > C. "Leo" B.

This is becoming the favourite list :-) and I add:

ST Pascal, Easyrider, Signum, Arabesque, Technobox Drafter,
TeX by Stefan Lindner, ShowDVI by Robert Stabl, Metafont by Lutz Birkhan,
Uniterm by Simon Poole, 220-ST, Harlekin, Fontkit...

Roland Schreier.

don@col.hp.com (Don Allison) (12/12/90)

/ col:comp.sys.atari.st / roland@tuvie.UUCP (Inst.f.Allg.Elektrotechnik) / 11:06 am  Dec  8, 1990 /
>roland@tuvie.uucp (Roland Schreier) writes:

> > leo@mat500.uucp (C. Bullerdick) writes:
> > O-Yeah, and the applications on the ST are even getting 'greater'.
> > Have you ever seen TurboC, Edison, PKS-Edit, Rufus, Scigraph or Gemini?
> > Take a look, they are superb!
> >
> > C. "Leo" B.
>

>This is becoming the favourite list :-) and I add:
>
>ST Pascal, Easyrider, Signum, Arabesque, Technobox Drafter,
>TeX by Stefan Lindner, ShowDVI by Robert Stabl, Metafont by Lutz Birkhan,
>Uniterm by Simon Poole, 220-ST, Harlekin, Fontkit...
>
>Roland Schreier.

I think this is a neat idea, and could be one of the more constructive uses of
this group, especially with the death of local dealers (at least for us USA
folks).  What I was wondering, though, was if you could post a short
description of what the program does and why you think it is so useful, (along
with any ordering information you might have), instead of just listing
titles.  Some of the programs listed above I've heard of and agree that they
are quite useful, while others I've never heard of before.  Since it looks
like I'm going to be buying my ST stuff by mail order from now on, this
information would be invaluable to me (and I suspect, quite a few other
people).

So what do the rest of you think?  Would this kind of information be useful?
Is posting it an appropriate use of this group?

Don Allison
don@col.hp.com

gcarter@globey.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (12/13/90)

--Gregory

heavy@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Richard Scott Hall) (12/13/90)

In article <16830009@col.hp.com> don@col.hp.com (Don Allison) writes:

>So what do the rest of you think?  Would this kind of information be useful?
>Is posting it an appropriate use of this group?
>
>Don Allison
>don@col.hp.com

I agree, I am always interested in what other good programs are out
there, and like Don said, I haven't0Q even heard of some of the ones
mentioned...

Richard Hall
University of Michigan

roland@tuvie.UUCP (Inst.f.Allg.Elektrotechnik) (12/17/90)

heavy@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Richard Scott Hall) writes:

 > I agree, I am always interested in what other good programs are out
 > there, and like Don said, I haven't0Q even heard of some of the ones
 > mentioned...

So this is my personal annotated software list for the Atari ST.
I use an old 1040ST from 1986 upgraded to TOS 1.4 and 16MHz
(Hypercache by proVME) and 4MByte.

I don't have the time to review the programs (there are four german
magazines doing this for the Atari ST/TT) but if everyone just tells
what he is using regularly, we all might learn something.

I have a SM124 monochrome monitor and don't know wether these programs
run on color monitors. Signum and Harlekin work only with 640 x 400.
220-ST claims to run on color monitors.

Most addresses are German, D-____ is the German mail code.
DM is Deutsche Mark, 1 US$ is about DM 1.50, but changing daily.

Name       Program           Address                Comments
Version    Price
ST Pascal  Pascal Compiler   CCD                    Very good standard
2.07       DM 249.-          Burgstrasse 9          Pascal compiler,
                             D-6228 Eltville        most reliable, my #1

TurboC     C Compiler        Borland                Very good ANSI C
1.1                          Lindwurmstrasse 88     compiler, excellent
                             D-8000 Muenchen        integrated
                                                    developement system

Easyrider  Assembler +       Andreas Borchard       Very fast, allows
3.0        Disassembler +    Wiesenbachstrasse 2a   reassembly of any
           Reassembler       D-4500 Osnabrueck      compiled program I
           DM 218.-                                 have tried, great
                                                    for bug fixes

Tempus     Program Editor    CCD                    The fastest editor
2.10       DM 129.-          Burgstrasse 9          and a very good one
                             D-6228 Eltville        too

Edison     Program Editor    Hans Christian Kniss   I like it even more
1.0        DM 169.-          Adalbertstrasse 44     than Tempus. Not as
                             D-5100 Aachen          fast but excellent
                                                    user interface.

Signum     Wordprocessing    Application Systems    I use TeX now, but
2.0        DM 448.-          Englerstrasse 3        if you like WYSIWYG
                             D-6900 Heidelberg      Signum is very good,
                                                    excellent output,
                                                    but only one
                                                    document at a time,
                                                    really comprehensive
                                                    font library

Arabesque  Graphics          Shift                  Object/vector and
1.0        DM 278.-          Unterer Lautrupweg 8   pixel/bit graphics,
                             D-2390 Flensburg       convert from GEM to
                                                    IMG, edit a 300dpi
                                                    laser page

Technobox  CAD Drawings      Technobox Software     Technical Drawings,
Drafter                      Kornharpener Str 122a  layers, dimensions,
1.14                         D-4630 Bochum 1        printer and plotter
                                                    output, powerful
                                                    and expensive

220-ST     Terminal          MichTron, Inc.         very good and
1.01                         576 South Telegraph    reliable VT220
(C)1987                      Pontiac                terminal, some
are there                    Michigan 48053         minor bugs
new versions?                U.S.A.                 (corrected with
                                                    Easyrider)

Uniterm    Terminal          Simon Poole            most used terminal,
2.0e 011   Free                                     more features than
                                                    220-ST but not always
                                                    as reliable, some
                                                    Kermit problems

Harlekin   Accessory         Maxon                  Memory hungry swiss
1.0        DM 129.-          Industriestrasse 23    army knife: Editor,
                             D-6236 Eschborn        personal planner,
                                                    printer driver and
           some bugs                                spooler, terminal,
           but no new version                       ASCII table,
           still very useful                        calculator, memory
           but only if you can                      file and disk
           spend 512 KByte for it                   monitor, macros,
                                                    file utilities, RAM
                                                    disk, clock, alarm,
                                                    control panel and
                                                    printer and RS232

Fontkit    Font Editor       The ST Club            Complete font
Plus 3     19.95             9 Sutton Place         editor and
           Pound             49 Stoney Street       converter, solves
           Sterling          Nottingham NG1 1LX     the G+PLUS problem
                             UK                     with Gemini fonts

Gemini     Desktop (Venus)   Stefan Eissing         I switched from
1.2                          Dorfbauerschaft 7      Neodesk to Gemini
                             D-4419 Laer-Holthausen
                                                    Nice look and good
           Shell (Mupfel)    Gereon Steffens        feel
                             Elsterweg 8
           DM 50.- Share     D-5000 Kln 90

TeX        D.E.Knuth         Stefan Lindner         TeX 2.9 written in
2.93/1.41  DM 60.- Share     Iltisstrasse 3         Turbo C (hand
                             D-8510 Fuerth          translation from
                                                    Knuths Pascal
                                                    source) no problems

Metafont   D.E.Knuth         Lutz Birkhan           Excellent Turbo C
1.5/1.2    DM 50.- Share     Fuerther Strasse 6     implementation with
                             D-8501 Cadolzburg 2    graphics window
                                                    (hand translation
                                                    from Knuths Pascal
                                                    source) no problems

ShowDVI    DVI Preview       Robert Stabl           To my knowledge the
1.0        Free              Hollaenderstrasse 45   best preview for
                             D-8390 Passau          the ST, works on
                                                    large monitors !

I have not included utility programs, (ARCGSH, Cheetah, DIRSORT,
FCOPY3, G+PLUS, GUCK, MonST, MultiDesk, Sagrotan, SYS_MON, XBOOT...),
this list would then never be finished...

There are newer versions available, for instance ST Pascal 2.08,
TurboC 2.0, ... one can only try to keep up with everything.

Disclaimer:
   This is just what I use and have found useful for my
   personal needs.
   I am in no way the owner of one or all of the above companies... :-)

Roland Schreier         _                     Technical University
Gusshausstrasse 27-29  |_)  _  |  _   _   _|  of Vienna in Austria
A-1040 Wien            | \ (_) | (_| | | (_|  +43 (1) 58801 3838
Oesterreich - Europe                          schreier@eaecl1.una.ac.at

Power is Force times Velocity. Computer Power is Space times Speed.
640 KByte x 33 MHz = 21120   but   4096 KByte x 8 MHz = 32768.