[comp.sys.atari.st] Redirect PRN: to a file ?

hagelin@cross.lne.kth.se (Martin Hagelin) (12/14/90)

	Hello NetWorld !

I wonder if it exists a program that redirects the output to the printer port to
a file. The problem is that I have Timeworks ST Publisher and I want to get a
Postscript file so that I can print it out here on the University's nice laser
printer. Publisher ST (configured for Postscript) just dumps the data to the
printer port, and I want to be able to transfer it to a file instead. Anyone has
a solution to this problem ?

	Martin

Martin Hagelin				Email:
Departement of Electrical Engineering    UNIX: hagelin@elixir.lne.kth.se
Royal Institute of Technology             VMS: hagelin@elin.lne.kth.se
Stockholm, Sweden

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.133619.18504@kth.se>, hagelin@cross.lne.kth.se
(Martin Hagelin) writes:
|> I wonder if it exists a program that redirects the output to the printer
|> port to
|> a file.

Yes, "Barrel" by Moshe Braner does this. It captures anything that goes to
the printer and saves it in a RAM buffer which you can save on a file
later.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (12/18/90)

From article <1990Dec14.133619.18504@kth.se>, by hagelin@cross.lne.kth.se
(Martin Hagelin) writes:

> I wonder if it exists a program that redirects the output to the printer port to
> a file. The problem is that I have Timeworks ST Publisher and I want to get a
> Postscript file so that I can print it out here on the University's nice laser
> printer. Publisher ST (configured for Postscript) just dumps the data to the
> printer port, and I want to be able to transfer it to a file instead. Anyone has
> a solution to this problem ?
>
> 	Martin

> Martin Hagelin				Email:
> Departement of Electrical Engineering    UNIX: hagelin@elixir.lne.kth.se
> Royal Institute of Technology             VMS: hagelin@elin.lne.kth.se
> Stockholm, Sweden

Yes, get a copy of pscapt.prg, which works exclusively for this problem, or
get a copy of Moshe Branner's barrel.prg which is more versatile.  If
barrel isn't on the atari.archive or at panarthea, I could upload my copy
to one or both (a good exercise for me, I haven't done it yet for
either 8-).  If I get no response, I won't do either, I'll just send
it to Martin if he asks.  BTW, if someone could post, or tell us where to
get a copy of pscapt, I'd be grateful, my copy was corrupted.

Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
or
...!uvm-gen!pegram