[comp.sys.atari.st] RCS for TOS

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (12/05/90)

Does anybody have a port of RCS (Revision Control System) for TOS?
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/06/90)

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:
>Does anybody have a port of RCS (Revision Control System) for TOS?

Funny you should ask!  Yes, I do have a port of RCS (version 4) for
TOS. I recently got permission to release it.  The original sources are
PD from Purdue, but I felt I had to get permission to release my
modified version without an Atari copyright on the changes.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to put it together in a realease
package.  In addition, I haven't done rcsmerge, as the process stuff
was too hairy for me at the time.  I think I'll release what I've got,
rather than wait for an improvement that may never come.  Keep your
eyes peeled.

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (12/09/90)

[ allan pratt mentions posting of RCS... who sez atari employees are
  worthless :-) ]

fantastic!!! i just started porting co/ci so now i can move on to other
things...

i have noticed that some things i recently submitted to c.b.a.st have not
appeared (like 2-4 weeks ago). is our fearless moderator on vacation :-) ?

allan: you may want to ftp to terminator (atari.archive.umich.edu) as
well, since that will be fastest way to distribute it...

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com

--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/11/90)

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
>[ allan pratt mentions posting of RCS... who sez atari employees are
>  worthless :-) ]

Tee Hee.  Actually, sorry to get your (collective) hopes up.  I have
just learned that RCS version 5, under copyleft and MUCH improved, is
going to become available REAL SOON.  I will port THAT, and it'll be
much better than what I've done with version 4.  So it won't be until
the end of the year, I think.  I just don't see the point of posting
something when the new-and-vastly-improved version is coming.

(The improvements are in the internals; there aren't many feature
improvements, and all files etc. are compatible.  Still, it sounds
like it'll make a big difference.)

swklassen@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Steven W. Klassen) (12/18/90)

(I tried to e-mail this to Allan but it bounced, so I have posted it.)

In article <2774@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>Tee Hee.  Actually, sorry to get your (collective) hopes up.  I have
>just learned that RCS version 5, under copyleft and MUCH improved, is
>going to become available REAL SOON.  I will port THAT, and it'll be
>much better than what I've done with version 4.  So it won't be until
>the end of the year, I think.  I just don't see the point of posting
>something when the new-and-vastly-improved version is coming.

Unfortunately I will be losing my net access in a few days, hence will
not be able to get your new version.  I would find RCS **VERY** useful.
Could you please e-mail me what you do have?

I am also willing to be a beta-tester for your new version if you
need them (although it would have to be via slow mail).

Please e-mail me a reply soon (after Dec 19 I will have no e-mail
access).

--

						Steven W. Klassen
						University of Waterloo