[comp.sys.atari.st] Gulam

neil@hwcs.UUCP (06/10/87)

Sorry. I made a mistake when I said Gulam was not reading * properly I meant
the \ of course. The problem is due to the UK & US keyboard differences.
I have since edited my copy of Gulam using a file editor. The following
changes have to be made to the program in the UK (US users might like to note
these modifications too):-

OFFSET    CHANGE   TO
------    ------   --
$135F9    $5C \    $23 #
$1362E    $00      $5C \
$13651    $40 @    $22 "
$13652    $23 #    $9C pound sign (ignored by Gulam anyway)
$13679    $7C |    $7E ~
$136AE    $00      $7C |
$136F9    $5C \    $23 #
$1372E    $00      $5C \

"I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being
told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and
tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!"
- Monty Python

 Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs
 Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk
 Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil
 Edinburgh
 Scotland

IHLS400@INDYCMS.BITNET (Holly Lee Stowe) (07/01/87)

I have been using Gulam to execute outside commands from within my
STadel BBS, however, when I EXIT Gulam and return to the BBS, my cursor
disappears, not to be seen again unless I reboot the BBS or go back to
Gulam (in which case it disappears again when I EXIT).

Any ideas as to why this happens or what I can do to fix it?  I really
miss my cursor.

-Holly
Beware of Quantum Ducks! Quark! Quark!

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (08/04/87)

	Could someone send me a copy of GULAM shell.  Someplace along
the line I must have missed it.  Thanks in advance.....

Any opinions expressed above are my own.        Rich Andrews
 They can be yours too.  Please send $19.95 to.....ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

pm@mandrill.CWRU.Edu (Prabhaker Mateti) (11/08/87)

A few days ago, I sent the beta release of Gulam shell to turner@daisy.
He will be posting it to the net soon.  To help you decide if you care
to save the uuencoded archives, here is a short description of the
present state of Gulam.

	Gulam is a shell written and copyrighted by pm@mandril.cwru.edu; it
is (and will be) distributed free of charge.  It is not warranteed; on
the other hand, I and many others find the present implementation
eminently useable, and indeed use it all the time, in preference to
other shells.

	The present beta-version (dated Nov 1987) is a result of fixing bugs,
internal code improvements, and user-visible improvements.  Gulam.prg
is about 88200 bytes, and gulam.doc is about 78000 bytes.  Users are
encouraged to tell me both good and bad things about this program.

	Here is a list (complete?) of things new and/or diffrent from the
alpha-version.

  1. the bugs causing memory-lossage have been fixed.
  2. an application program can now call one of *Gulam*'s routines
     that is equivalent to system() call.
  3. an application program can now call one of *Gulam*'s routines
     that can receive keyboard input from the user, with all the facilities of
     `ue', and return the line input by the user.
  4. `ue' can now insert-file.
  5. stdout append-redirection (`>>') is now implemented.
  6. a new sub-word consisting of three dots `...' expands to the list
     of all filenames rooted at the current or given directory.
  7. doing a `set path <path-list>' will also cause an automatic
     `setenv PATH <path-list> ; rehash'.
  8. `ue' can now fill-paragraph.
  9. new shell variable `verbosity' controls how silent *Gulam* is.
 10. cp will not copy directories and their contents unless
     given the `-r' flag.
 11. `ue' can now use mouse movements as cursor
     movements (see mscursor).
 12. diskettes can be formatted (single/double-sided) in TOS standard way.
 13. the command mem can not only report the GEMDOS free-list but also the list
     of GEMDOS Malloc-ated chunks.
 14. shaded background on the screen is provided for the `gem' command.
 15. the keypad keys can be toggled to become numeric
     or extra-function keys.
 16. there are 3 separate key-bindings for the one *gulam* buffer, and
     the one *mini* buffer, and all the regular buffers.

--
prabhaker mateti,   case western reserve university,  cleveland, oh 44106
{decvax,cbosgd,sun}!mandrill!pm     pm@mandrill.cwru.edu     (216) 368-2816

nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") (02/04/88)

Greetings:

I have been reading the net for a few weeks now and would like to get some
information on Gulam.  I am assuming this is some sort of shell but I don't
really know.  One person on the net stated gulam has commands like mv, df,
and time.  I use BSD 4.3 at work and that got my attention quickly.  Is
gulam similiar to 4.3 or am I hallucinating?  Is it public domain and where
do I get a copy?  Any information would be appreciated!

Regards Norm Frech

Norm Frech  <nfrech@almsa-1.arpa>
USAMC ALMSA, ATTN:  AMXAL-HL, Box 1578, St.Louis, MO 63188-1578
COMMERICAL: (314) 263-5231     AUTOVON:  693-5231

"OH, FLOPPY DISKS" - Neal, The Young Ones

nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") (02/19/88)

Has anyone had a problem with use of IBM formatted floppies with gulam?
If I format a floppy on our Zenith portables at work and copy
files/directories to it, GEM will recognize the directories and their
contents but gulam will not let me cd into the directories.

Any suggestions?

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/20/88)

In article <8802041613.AA17044@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") writes:

>Greetings:
>
>I have been reading the net for a few weeks now and would like to get some
>information on Gulam.  I am assuming this is some sort of shell but I don't
>really know.  One person on the net stated gulam has commands like mv, df,
>and time.  I use BSD 4.3 at work and that got my attention quickly.  Is
>gulam similiar to 4.3 or am I hallucinating?  Is it public domain and where
>do I get a copy?  Any information would be appreciated!

I am also a BSD 4.3 user at work, and use Gulam at home on the ST and love it.

Just now, on the ST, I typed the two commands:

	help > tt
	sx tt	      # to upload to the unix system (built in x-modem

Not everything behaves exactly the same on Gulam.  Prof. Mateti, the
author, has some ideas about consistency of syntax.  For example,

	In 4.3BSD csh			In Gulam

	setenv	aaa	"hi there"	setenv	aaa	"hi there"
	set	bbb  =	"hi there"	set	bbb	"hi there"
	echo $aaa $bbb			echo $aaa $bbb

It also has something called "ue" which is some flavor of micro-emacs.
It is NOT un*x, but it is a simple, expanding shell done in that spirit.
The electronic address for P.Mateti shows below, but the shell is
available from a number of bulletin boards, and from
LISTSERV@CANADA01.bitnet.

Here is the file "tt".

beta-test version 1.00.00.00 101887 of
yet another shell for atariST

(non-profit redistribution is permitted)

/gulam.  Copyright = 1987 pm@cwru.edu

62 built-in commands:
alias    dm       endwhile help     more     printenv set      ue
cat      dirc     exit     history  mson     pushd    setenv   unalias
cd       dirs     fg       if       msoff    pwd      source   unset
chmod    echo     fgrep    kb       mv       rehash   sx       unsetenv
copy     egrep    foreach  lpr      peekw    ren      te       which
cp       ef       format   ls       pokew    rm       teexit   while
date     endfor   gem      mem      popd     rmdir    time
df       endif    grep     mkdir    print    rx       touch

programs accessible through hash table:
uudecode gulamend arc      uud      speak    dcclock
more14   gulam    uuencode uniterm  ibmfmt   cksm
test     history  gu       uue      stspeech dos

piet@ruuinf.UUCP (Piet van Oostrum) (05/20/88)

Does anybody know the e-mail address of the author of Gulam?
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands

elixir@m-net.UUCP (Rodney Fulk) (03/28/89)

I wish to use the error codes passed back from a program..
I wish to run this program from gulam and want to know how I can do it?
Someone who runs a STadel bbs could send me a copy of their batch files if
using cgulam.. I KNOW that works..
Or could somweone send me a small shell that can handle error codes passed to
it?
I am using it to run my bbs so I need something solid.

elixir@m-net.UUCP

stevens@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Francis Stevens) (08/10/89)

I'm using Gulam V1.03.04.05 (UK) and am having trouble redefining ue
keys, according to the manual I should be able to redefine the keypad
keys using the "kb -r" command, however when I try I just get messages
to the effect "no more room" ?  Anyone have any ideas ? Have I misunderstood
the manual ? (probably :-))

Francis Stevens
stevens@prl.philips.co.uk

aa@lln-cs.UUCP (Andre April) (08/14/90)

Can anyone tell me if Gulam is PD, shareware or commercial ?
I heard it comes from GNU. Is it true ?
If it is PD or shareware, where can i get it (ftp site) ?

Thanks,

Andre April
Universite Catholique de Louvain
Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)

e-mail: aa@info.ucl.ac.be

ALBERT_DAYES@bdt.UUCP (08/16/90)

Gulam is PD or FREEWARE ... its a very nice CLI shell tooo.

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (12/18/90)

What is the newest/most robust version of Gulam?  Is there any hope for an
upgrade?

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."