[comp.sys.atari.st] UNIXMODE

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (12/12/90)

I just downloaded unixmode.lzh and unix2dos.lzh from atari.archive.
Unixmode is a little confusing (how do you use the 'd' argument
to create /dev/A /dev/B, etc.?), but unix2dos even more so. Does
it go in the auto folder? Does the UNIXMODE environment variable have
to be set first, before I run unix2dos? Does it work with non-GCC
programs (it doesn't seem to, so far)? Thanks for any help.

David Megginson
/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

roeder@robin.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar Roeder) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec11.175303.22275@doe.utoronto.ca> david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:

>  I just downloaded unixmode.lzh and unix2dos.lzh from atari.archive.
> Unixmode is a little confusing (how do you use the 'd' argument
> to create /dev/A /dev/B, etc.?), but unix2dos even more so. Does
> it go in the auto folder? Does the UNIXMODE environment variable have
> to be set first, before I run unix2dos? Does it work with non-GCC
> programs (it doesn't seem to, so far)? Thanks for any help.

As far as i know, Eric Smith is working on integrating the UNIXMODE
features into his MiNT kernel. At the moment it requires programs that
recognize the UNIXMODE environment variable.

The unix2dos program allows you to use slashes (/) as directory
delimiter and the /dev-notation for drives without any settings of
environment variables or intervention of a shell. This is useful if
you do ports of unix-programs (or use such ports) and don't want to
include the stuff for parsing the A: notation in any program (eg when
those unix-programs assume that absolute pathnames start with / and
that the only use of backslashes (\) is to mask control characters).

The unix2dos program is not required if you have programs
understanding the UNIXMODE environment variable. It only gives you a
similar interface for filenames if your programs can't use UNIXMODE.
You can mix both ways to convert slashes (with the unix2dos TSR and
the programs doing it themselves) without any problems and the tools
using UNIXMODE are also able to understand the backslash-notation too.

>   David Megginson

Hope this helps!

	- Edgar