[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectre and hard disks

emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Emerson Mei) (12/09/90)

 still can't get a hard drive partitioned so that it will

 Please reply to emerson@stat.berkeley.edu

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (12/09/90)

In article <39964@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Emerson Mei) writes:
 >still can't get a hard drive partitioned so that it will
 >work on spectre and the Mac. I now realize that it must be done using a MFS
 >formatted drive and there can be no atari data on the drive.  Still Spectre
 >will not format MFS except on partitions <4.5 megs. and these partitions are
 >not recoginzed by a macintosh. I think it may be the paritioning software. I
 >use ICD's recent version. Has anyone out there done this and could they
 >Pleeeze give me some tips.
 >
 > Please reply to emerson@stat.berkeley.edu

You have to use either the "Supra Formatter" (as Dave Small points out in one
of the Spectre newsletters) or the "CMS Formatter", which is what I used. You
also MUST format on the Mac, since no mac SCSI software works with Spectre,
it can't seem to see any SCSI devices.  I used the CMS software to format a
SyQuest cartridge for Mac & Spectre usage.  As you said, you can't have an
Atari partition, although the Mac OS does allow for multiple partitions on
a drive.  Hopefully, Spectre 3.0 will support a wider range of Mac formatted
drives. I'd love to have a cartridge with an ST partition on it that
autoboots and still have a Mac readable partition.  Since formatting the
cartridge and putting a bunch of stuff on it, the volume crashed, although
Spectre still displays it under the hard disk menu. Of course, I hadn't backed
up anything on it yet (if I had, it wouldn't have crashed). I haven't had a
chance to try and restore the volume yet.

---jb

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (12/11/90)

Can someone clarify this?  I can't figure out what the problem is:

In article <1990Dec9.091311.16932@rodan.acs.syr.edu>
jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>In article <39964@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU
(Emerson Mei) writes:
> >still can't get a hard drive partitioned so that it will
> >work on spectre and the Mac. I now realize that it must be done using a MFS
> >formatted drive and there can be no atari data on the drive.  Still Spectre
> >will not format MFS except on partitions <4.5 megs. and these partitions are
> >not recoginzed by a macintosh. I think it may be the paritioning software. I
> >use ICD's recent version. Has anyone out there done this and could they
> >Pleeeze give me some tips.
> >
> > Please reply to emerson@stat.berkeley.edu
>
>You have to use either the "Supra Formatter" (as Dave Small points out in one
>of the Spectre newsletters) or the "CMS Formatter", which is what I used. You
>also MUST format on the Mac, since no mac SCSI software works with Spectre,
>it can't seem to see any SCSI devices.  I used the CMS software to format a
>SyQuest cartridge for Mac & Spectre usage.  As you said, you can't have an
>Atari partition, although the Mac OS does allow for multiple partitions on
>a drive.  Hopefully, Spectre 3.0 will support a wider range of Mac formatted
>drives. I'd love to have a cartridge with an ST partition on it that
>autoboots and still have a Mac readable partition.  Since formatting the
>cartridge and putting a bunch of stuff on it, the volume crashed, although
>Spectre still displays it under the hard disk menu. Of course, I hadn't backed
>up anything on it yet (if I had, it wouldn't have crashed). I haven't had a
>chance to try and restore the volume yet.

This sounds very knowledgable and I'm busily trying to figure it out.  I
have a Supra 80 with three Atari partitions and two Mac HFS partitions
which I formatted with GCR 2.65, following the manual instructions.
If I understand the above postings correctly, this is impossible.
What's going on?
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

cacsc083@mx.csun.edu (Paul Wick) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.130839.17906@cs.dal.ca> bill%biomel@cs.dal.ca writes:
>Can someone clarify this?  I can't figure out what the problem is:
> [stuff about Mac formaters deleted]
>This sounds very knowledgable and I'm busily trying to figure it out.  I
>have a Supra 80 with three Atari partitions and two Mac HFS partitions
>which I formatted with GCR 2.65, following the manual instructions.
>If I understand the above postings correctly, this is impossible.
>What's going on?
>--
>William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
>P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
>UUCP=..!{uunet|watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
>BITNET=bill%biomel%dalcs@dalac	InterNet=bill%biomel@cs.dal.ca

All that stuff was about preparing a hard disk that can be used on a real
Mac as well as under Spectre emulation. In short: Spectre < 3.0 supports
Mac disk formats from an older System/Finder (probably from when the
Mac first got hard disk support).

An advantage of a compatible disk format would be to share files between
a real Mac and ST with a Syquest 44Mbyte removable cartridge. These files
could be, say, 15 Mbytes of public domain Mac stuff.

The bare Syquest drive with one cartridge is $468 in an add in MacUser.

If you don't need to share a drive, your setup is fine.

Note that the older format Mac scheme of Spectre 2.65 and below has a
maximum `disk' (Mac didn't really have partitions then) size of 32 Mbytes.
Spectre 3.0 uses a format that allows Mac partitions of 256Mbytes.

Paul Wick

--
cacsc083@mx.csun.edu

dlm@druco.ATT.COM (Daniel L. Moore) (12/12/90)

in article <39964@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>,
emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Emerson Mei) says:
>still can't get a hard drive partitioned so that it will
>work on spectre and the Mac. I now realize that it must be done using a MFS
>formatted drive and there can be no atari data on the drive.  Still Spectre
>will not format MFS except on partitions <4.5 megs. and these partitions are
>not recoginzed by a macintosh. I think it may be the paritioning software. I
>use ICD's recent version. Has anyone out there done this and could they
>Pleeeze give me some tips.

	You can *NOT* format a hard disk on the ST that both a Macintosh
and the Spectre can use.  The partition map that Atari defined for the
ST is not compatible with the partition map that Apple defined for
the Mac.  This will stay true no matter whose partitioning software you
use on the ST.

	Spectre does *NOT* repartition the hard disk or change
the format of the partition map to the format Apple uses.  Spectre just
changes the type of the partition to 'ACK' (or 'OOP' in version 3.0)
instead of 'GEM' or 'BGM' or whatever.  After Spectre changes the
partition type in the map it then writes a Macintosh file system (MFS
or HFS) in the partition.

	You can format/partition hard disks on the Mac and then use
that hard disk with Spectre.  This works great, especially with removable
media drives.  (With Spectre 2.65 you need to use older Mac formatting
software since it doesn't understand the new Mac partition maps.
Spectre 3.0 supports both the old and new Mac partition maps.)

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druco.ATT.COM

dlm@druco.ATT.COM (Daniel L. Moore) (12/13/90)

in article <1990Dec11.171531.7192@csun.edu>,
cacsc083@mx.csun.edu (Paul Wick) says:
> Note that the older format Mac scheme of Spectre 2.65 and below has a
> maximum `disk' (Mac didn't really have partitions then) size of 32 Mbytes.
> Spectre 3.0 uses a format that allows Mac partitions of 256Mbytes.

	The 32 meg and 256 meg limits on partition sizes are actually
limits of the Spectre formatter.  Spectre supports much larger partitions,
as long as the disk is formatted on a Mac.

	Macs have always supported hard disk partitions.  But when
the original partition system was developed there was no reason to
partition a Mac disk since nothing existed to use other partition types
(no Unix(tm), etc.).

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver