[comp.sys.atari.st] synth sounds

selick@bucsf.bu.edu (Steven Selick) (12/14/90)

I have a 1040ste that I bought mainly to run music (midi) applications.
I find it surprising that none of the discussions on this message base
seem to revolve around midi, considering that the ports are built right
into the machine. I have Notator, xor, and the following synths:

Yamaha:TG-55, SY-22, DX-7(original, tx-16w(sampler)
Alesis:quadraverb, hr-16b
art: multiverb ext
korg: ex-800 (for sale...)

I would love to start trading sounds that I have made, and other pd
sounds with other users of these machines. Also, midi songs would be
great too.

Keep on rocking in the free world

steve selick
<selick@bucsf.bu.edu>

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/14/90)

selick@bucsf.bu.edu (Steven Selick) writes:

- I have a 1040ste that I bought mainly to run music (midi)
- applications.  I find it surprising that none of the discussions on
- this message base seem to revolve around midi, considering that the
- ports are built right into the machine.

I've owned an ST for three years and have never connected anything to
the MIDI ports, not even for cheap networking.  Nor have I connected
anything to the cartridge port.  But just the ports being there makes
you want to plug something in them, doesn't it? :^)  I wonder if
anything will ever be connecting and working on those analog joystick
ports on the side of the STe.  They're supposedly not even on the
MegaSTe.  Wonder what keen idea Uncle Jack and Associates had for
those.

- Keep on rocking in the free world

Right on, dude!

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec14.023057.6710@ecst.csuchico.edu>, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>I've owned an ST for three years and have never connected anything to
>the MIDI ports, not even for cheap networking.  Nor have I connected

Me neither, but if you are really itching to connect something there is a
gadget you can buy that allows you to connect any PC keyboard to your ST
that hooks to the MIDI port.  You can even use the wireless infared ones.
Pretty nifty, especially for those that have 1040 and 520's.  You know,
if Atari just made the tops of the keycaps a little smaller (thus more free
space surrounding the keys) it would probably feel a lot nicer.  Just my
$0.02 . .

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/14/90)

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes

-
- Me neither, but if you are really itching to connect something there
- is a gadget you can buy that allows you to connect any PC keyboard to
- your ST that hooks to the MIDI port.

Yeah, it's called RX.  It used to be advertised in ST Informer quite
a bit.  While we're speaking about optional keyboards, a similar item
is Z-Keys (I think that's the name) from Zubair Enterprises.  This
one connects to the pin inside the ST where the keyboard assembly
attaches.  Wuztek, the multisync monitor folks, also make one.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

erlingh@idt.unit.no (Erling Henanger) (12/14/90)

I certainly plug things in to my mega, there isn't a free slot on the
back of it :-)
Synths and Midi were the reason I bought my first St back in those
days when Tos was on disks and didn't bomb. (No it didn't bomb, it
gave you MUSHROOMS !!!, oh atari: why did you replace them with bombs ?).

As for synth sounds, I too am very interested in sounds, but for the
roland LA-series of synth's; D-50,D-10,D-20,Mt-32.
In fact, I am so interested in it that I'm writing a patch-editor for
the D-110 right now. It's in the testing stage, and the reason I post
this is to get people that want to test it. I don't know many people
over here that has the Atari/D-10 setup, so I am asking you.
The editor is completely written with ease of use in mind (read GEM)
and has an option to translate D-50 files into D-10 sounds.
When it's completely finished (and free of bugs, well almost..) I
will post it to comp.binaries. That may be never, if I don't get
anyone to help me with bug-reporting. This is your chance - Take it !

To receive a copy of the editor, write email to
	erlingh@idt.unit.no

Happy synthing.
--
       _______    _____  	 o	     ____       Erling Henanger
      /___       /____/ /       /   /|  /   /           Norwegian institute

Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) (12/14/90)

One of the guys in this discussion meantioned an IBM keyboard interface that
uses the MIDI port.. Where can I find out more about this.  The only thing
that I have seen that allows the hook-up of an IBM keyboard is a device that
costs _$99_! and is called Z-Keys I think...  I would have e-mailed this to
the poster, but my mailer is screwing up today....
				.......Yonderboy@cup.portal.com

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/15/90)

Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) writes:

- One of the guys in this discussion meantioned an IBM keyboard
- interface that uses the MIDI port.. Where can I find out more about
- this.  The only thing that I have seen that allows the hook-up of an
- IBM keyboard is a device that costs _$99_! and is called Z-Keys I
- think...

KX is the one that connects to the MIDI ports.  It's $75 from Diverse
Data Products 1-800-662-8662.

--

gilliam@lowlif.dec.com (12/16/90)

In article <36916@cup.portal.com>, Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) writes...

>One of the guys in this discussion meantioned an IBM keyboard interface that
>uses the MIDI port.. Where can I find out more about this.  The only thing
>that I have seen that allows the hook-up of an IBM keyboard is a device that
>costs _$99_! and is called Z-Keys I think...  I would have e-mailed this to
>the poster, but my mailer is screwing up today....
>				.......Yonderboy@cup.portal.com

It's called KX. It sells for $74.95

Diverse Data Products
P.O. Box 695324
Miami, FL 33269

305-651-2393

---
Mason Gilliam
		(INTERNET,UUCP) gilliam@star.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!star.enet!gilliam
		(INTERNET)	gilliam%star.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

dee@ghp.UUCP (Diane Vint) (12/18/90)

In article <70662@bu.edu.bu.edu> selick@bucsf.bu.edu (Steven Selick) writes:
>I have a 1040ste that I bought mainly to run music (midi) applications.
>I find it surprising that none of the discussions on this message base
>seem to revolve around midi, considering that the ports are built right
>into the machine.
If your looking for discussions in this area - subscribe to comp.music...
You've already missed the GREAT DEBATE on which computer was better for
composing with midi interfaces...8-)
Dee

--
| Diane Vint, Gellman.Hayward & Partners Ltd                                  |