[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Laser Printers and PostScript

dwh@ataritx.uucp (Dave Hanna) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec7.165317.13779@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>What are Atari laser printers selling for these days?  I haven't
>seen one in ages, though I have seen the toner cartridges for sale.
>Did Atari ever come up with a workable way to print postscript
>files on it?

There is a third party software product called UltraScript, done by
Imagen Corporation (a subsidiary of QMS), and marketed through Atari,
that prints PostScript files quite nicely on the SLM804 Laser printers.

Retail list price on the SLM804 is $1,295.00.  UltraScript lists for
$229.95 (U.S., as of Sept. 1, 1990).

--
    Dave Hanna    Atari Microsystems Corp
	  UUCP   ...!texsun!letni!ataritx!dwh

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/16/90)

There is a competitor for the UltraScript, called T-Script. According
to Fearn & Music, a company in Germany, the T-Script is more effective
and more reliable than UltraScript. They use it for producing graphics from
Aldus Freehand, PageMaker etc. under Spectre GCR. I think their opinion is
worth believing, because they sell both UltraScript and T-Script and the
difference between the prices of these is so small that it does not have any
part in forming that opinion. (I have seen them sold with equal price)

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (12/18/90)

From article <1990Dec15.180349.4778@santra.uucp>, by s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto):
> There is a competitor for the UltraScript, called T-Script. According
> to Fearn & Music, a company in Germany, the T-Script is more effective
> and more reliable than UltraScript. They use it for producing graphics from
> Aldus Freehand, PageMaker etc. under Spectre GCR. I think their opinion is
> worth believing, because they sell both UltraScript and T-Script and the
> difference between the prices of these is so small that it does not have any
> part in forming that opinion. (I have seen them sold with equal price)

I would be very interested in reading more information about either
T-Script or the French Postscript emulator (Graphix??) which was
mentioned in a recent posting.  I heard that Imagen have ceased
supporting Ultrascript for the ST.  Can anyone give more info on this?
What exactly does 'ceased supporting' mean?  Will the program still be
sold, but not upgraded?

In the UK, the only official way to get Postscript emulation for the ST
is to buy the desktop publishing package Fleet St Publisher v3, and even
then there is something about the program which is incomplete (it might
be the range of fonts - I'm not sure).

All info appreciated.

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma   BITNET: grahamt%syma.sussex.ac.uk@UKACRL

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (12/19/90)

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:

>I would be very interested in reading more information about either
>T-Script or the French Postscript emulator (Graphix??) which was
>mentioned in a recent posting.  I heard that Imagen have ceased
>supporting Ultrascript for the ST.  Can anyone give more info on this?
>What exactly does 'ceased supporting' mean?  Will the program still be
>sold, but not upgraded?

What has always astonished me about UltraScript is the lack of
a screen previewer. It would have been *so* simple to add.
Since the SLM804 is a dumb printer they have to prepare the bit
image in memory anyway, so just popping up a window and some bitblt
operations would have been all the labor to make a previewer work.

The UltraScript implementation of the PostScript engine itself is quit
robuust though. Never had any problems.
But considering the additional features of GRAPHIX I would certainly
have decided in their favor...

	Jan van der Steen

     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)