[comp.sys.atari.st] LH_CATCH

vousten@neabbs.UUCP (ROB VOUSTEN) (12/21/90)

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:

>In article <511550@neabbs.UUCP> vousten@neabbs.UUCP (ROB VOUSTEN)
>writes:
>> LH_CATCH.LZH A utility to make Yoshi's LHARC.TTP v.1.1309 (included in
>>              the archive) work with Charles Johnson's ArcShell. It
>>              catches the command line the shell sends to LHARC, asks
>>              additional info (Include path names?), modifies the
>>              command line and passes it on to LHARC. Doc included.
..stuff deleted ..

> This should not be needed, as the Arcshell21b does have a Programerball
> option, when you click on Add or Extract, just hold the Alternate key
> down, this will give you a Small Gem box, that lets you put in a
> Command Name, this is for your Information, will also be seen on the
> screen when running, and the Command string that you want to send to the
> Arching program, these Command options can be saved when you save the
> config, it is posible to use this shell with any of the LZH's that are
> around, ie. LZH121/LZH12/LZH60 etc and even ZOO, this Major option
> is seemed to be overlooked, but it is in the Doc's...
> I have used it with a few of the LZH's and found no problems..
>
> --
> Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

That is (partly) correct. ArcShell's alternate command line option lets
you edit the _prefix_ of the command string (f.i. "x -p " to extract
path names), but the rest of the string remains intact. Now the problem
with Yoshi's LHARC (I use v.1.1309 - the one optimized by Thomas
Quester) is that it won't understand something like "x e:\test.lzh
f:\stuff\*.*". It wants to extract to the current directory and doesn't
accept the last part of the string. The same goes for creating archives,
it expects the files to be archived to be in the current directory (f.i.
"a e:\test.lzh f:\stuff\*.*" won't work).
LH_CATCH changes the current dir to the desired drive+path (in my
example "f:\stuff\") before calling LHARC with a modified command line
("a e:\test.lzh *.*"). Also, you can decide whether or not to add path
names. Therefore, it is not so obsolete as it might seem :-) (I use it
daily...).
ArcShell's alt command line option might work OK with other LHARCs, but
I want Yoshi because it's the only one that has never let me down when
creating self-extracting archives (with Stefan Gross' SFX.PRG).

| Rob Vousten                                                          |
| University of Nijmegen - Dept. of General Linguistics & Dialectology |
| Erasmusplein 1         NL-6525 HT  Nijmegen          The Netherlands |
| BITNET: U218008@HNYKUN11       INTERNET: U218008@hnykun11.urc.kun.nl |