[comp.sys.atari.st] DBMAN

jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) (11/06/87)

Has anyone used DBMAN and the DBMAN Runtime Package?
How do you like it?

Jonathan Nagy
{ihnp4|allegra|harvard}!homxc!jdn
(201) 615-4349

v053qhyx@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeremy A Berger) (12/20/90)

Hi..
I wrote a multi user inventory system for the ST using DBMAN and RTX,
after using DBMAN, it is very similiar to dbase, but also has many
problems.  The version I was using (I think it was 4.0??) crashed
ALOT.. and I was never able to get the compiler to work.  Many of
the commands available serve the same function as Dbase but are
called up under different names.  Its been a few years since
I used DBMAN, so I reallly dont remember my complaints.  But I
was not impressed.. To date I havent found a database that I still
can use on the ST...
              Jeremy

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (12/21/90)

In article <52416@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v053qhyx@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Hi..
>I wrote a multi user inventory system for the ST using DBMAN and RTX,
>after using DBMAN, it is very similiar to dbase, but also has many
>problems.  The version I was using (I think it was 4.0??) crashed
>ALOT.. and I was never able to get the compiler to work.  Many of
>the commands available serve the same function as Dbase but are
>called up under different names.  Its been a few years since
>I used DBMAN, so I reallly dont remember my complaints.  But I
>was not impressed.. To date I havent found a database that I still
>can use on the ST...
>              Jeremy

Try version 5.  There have been a LOT of improvements from earlier
versions.  Compiler works fine.  Don't know if it works under RTX.
(Does it claim to?)

Postings about bugs in obsolete versions of software aren't very
helpful, nor are they fair to the vendors who go to the effort to fix
bugs and release improved versions.
| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |