[comp.sys.atari.st] Delta Modul AT-emulator

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/20/90)

That continuous stream of email asking info about it was a bit a surprice!

For those who are about to send email to me, please read this first, then,
if something is still dark over there, ask.

(I am not working for Omega!)

Here is the information I promised to give you. It is a rather bad translation
from german, hopefully there are no big missunderstandings.
(I should take those lessons in german)

DELTA MODUL

386sx AT-Emulator for Atari ST/Mega

Hardware

        Intel 80386sx 16MHz processor
        16 Kb cache
        socket for 80387sx arithmetic co-processor

        Motorola MC 68000 16MHz processor
        16 Kb cache
        socket for 68881 arithmetic co-processor
        average acceleration 170% compared to original ST

        16 bit AT-slot
        total of 3 cards possible
        (for example VGA or SuperVGA graphics-card)

        RAM-expansion 2 or 4 Mb
        makes possible to run MS-DOS- and GEM-program parallelly

Software

        Switching between operating systems is like switching between
        programs.
        MS-DOS programs are started from GEM-Desktop.
        Supports ST hardware, like DMA, serial port, parallel port, clock etc.

        Graphics-emulations: Hercules, CGA
        MS-Mouse compatible driver for Atari Mouse
        VDI-driver for using VGA-graphics-card under Atari GEM

Prices

        Delta Modul AT-Emulator             1.198,- DM
        1x 16 bit AT-Slot                      29,- DM
        2x 16 bit AT-Slot                      39,- DM
        3x 16 bit AT-Slot                      49,- DM
        RAM-card 2 Mb                         898,- DM

Where

                 OMEGA Computer Systeme GmbH
                 Oeltzenstr. 14
                 D-3000 Hannover 1
                 Germany (West-side)

                 Tel. int +49 511 17294, +49 511 13635
                 Fax. int +49 511 18289

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/20/90)

If someone reading this has connected the OMEGA Computer Systeme GmbH,
or any other way gained further information about this emulator,
please tell me those news!
I am wondering, if they ever get it ready for end-users?

In article <1990Dec19.213756.23247@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>DELTA MODUL
>
>386sx AT-Emulator for Atari ST/Mega
>
>Hardware
>
>        Intel 80386sx 16MHz processor
>        16 Kb cache
>        socket for 80387sx arithmetic co-processor

Not bad. Not blazing, but not bad...

>        Motorola MC 68000 16MHz processor
>        16 Kb cache
>        socket for 68881 arithmetic co-processor
>        average acceleration 170% compared to original ST

Sounds cool...

>        16 bit AT-slot
>        total of 3 cards possible
>        (for example VGA or SuperVGA graphics-card)

>        RAM-expansion 2 or 4 Mb
>        makes possible to run MS-DOS- and GEM-program parallelly
>
>Software
>
>        Switching between operating systems is like switching between
>        programs.
>        MS-DOS programs are started from GEM-Desktop.
>        Supports ST hardware, like DMA, serial port, parallel port, clock etc.
>
>        Graphics-emulations: Hercules, CGA
>        MS-Mouse compatible driver for Atari Mouse
>        VDI-driver for using VGA-graphics-card under Atari GEM
*This* would be nice - the ST's graphics really haven't improved a whole lot
in such a long time. Even the 12 bit palette on the STe, as nice as it is,
doesn't compare to the 24-bit palettes on PCs with 8 bitplanes, or the Macs
and their 24-32 bit cards. I don't mind the palette size so much, but the tiny
number of bitplanes is a real drag. 12 bitplanes would be about satisfactory,
I guess. (Although I guess that makes for pretty huge color-lookup tables. You
don't *need* the CLUT if you have a 12 bit palette and 12 bitplanes, but it
makes it easier to achieve nifty color scrolling effects that way...  }-)

--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.

Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) (12/22/90)

I too would love to hear more about this.. (First time I heard about it)..
If anybody has one of these I certainly hope he posts something hear about
it!  Anyway to get one of these in the states?

         ....Yonderboy@cup.portal.com

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/22/90)

The Delta Modul AT-emulator is propably available only in Germany, and I'
not sure if yet there either!
To see one running...got to go to Germany, I suppose...

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***