[comp.sys.atari.st] Newsgroups

rjast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert J Anisko) (09/20/90)

  I'm new to this net, so I have a quick question.  What newsgroups
(Atari-based) are available to read, other than this one?

rjast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (12/21/90)

     This message is only a REQUEST FOR COMMENTS and NOT a suggestion
for a change to the newsgroups.  Depending on responses, someday
I may make a serious suggestion, but not now.  I just want to find
out what's going on and why.

     I just received some messages at 'tndb' sent to
'comp.sys.atari.st.tech'.  Being a new group on my system they
were dumped in the catch-all 'letter.box' file that STadel creates
for undeliverable messages.  My first reaction was to decide
that clearly I wanted to receive these messages.  So I started up
STadel again and tried to create a "room" for this newsgroup name.
Unfortunately, STadel will not support a name this long.  My peak
is 20 characters.  I tried the STadel alias system before and it
didn't work on my version of STadel, so I can't alias the messages
to a shorter named room.  As such, I'm considering dropping the
'comp.sys.atari.st.tech' newsgroup completely.

     But looking at the current newsgroups, the 'comp.sys.atari.8bit'
group is almost completely unused.  The only message I saw there
today was one where a fellow with a Mac was trying to get an old
8 bit trackball to work on his new Mac.  That has *nothing* to do
with the Atari 8 bits anyway!  Isn't it about time we got rid of
the '8bit'/'st' divisions?  For my own usage, I could receive
messages into a 'comp.sys.atari.tech' newsgroup.  Well, I have't
tried it, but as far as I know that would be workable.

     Actually, having watched the newsgroup for the last month
or so, I don't see the point in the 'comp.sys.atari.st.tech'
newsgroup at all.  I haven't seen any *non*tech questions in
the current 'comp.sys.atari.st' newsgroup.  Since there is
no "noise" in the newsgroup as it stands why do we need the
new newsgroup at all?  The small amount of traffic doesn't seem
to warrant subdividing it.

Cheers! -- Jim O.
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

jeff@onion.pdx.com (Jeff Beadles) (12/23/90)

In <1990Dec20.181848.1910@lsuc.on.ca> jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) writes:

[ Regarding the length of the newsgroup name comp.sys.atari.st.tech, and
  wanting to remove the 8bit newsgroup. ]
>Unfortunately, STadel will not support a name this long.  My peak
>is 20 characters.

Your "peak" is broken.  Fix your software, or complain to the vendor.
There's no real valid reason to change a set of working newsgroups,
especially for software broken like this.

For those who are interested, a list of all newsgroups with >20
character long names are included below the signature.  Note, that
"comp.sources.atari.st" (and the binaries group, of course) both fit in
this category also.

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		jeff@onion.pdx.com

List of newsgroups with >20 character names below.

alt.binaries.multimedia
alt.buddha.short.fat.guy
alt.cyberpunk.chatsubo
alt.cyberpunk.movement
alt.flame.hirai.cs.dork
alt.flame.pizza.greasy
alt.flame.those.nasty.little.hangnails-ouch
alt.folklore.computers
alt.fractals.pictures
alt.graphics.pixutils
alt.national.enquirer
alt.politics.homosexuality
alt.religion.computers
alt.rock-n-roll.metal
alt.rock-n-roll.metal.metallica
alt.society.cu-digest
alt.startrek.creative
alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork
bionet.genome.chrom22
bionet.journals.contents
bionet.molbio.bio-matrix
bionet.molbio.embldatabank
bionet.molbio.evolution
bionet.molbio.genbank
bionet.molbio.genbank.updates
bionet.molbio.gene-express
bionet.molbio.gene-org
bionet.molbio.genome-program
bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
bionet.molbio.oncogenes
bionet.molbio.proteins
bionet.population-bio
bionet.software.contrib
bionet.software.pc.comm
bionet.users.addresses
biz.comp.software.demos
clari.news.gov.international
clari.news.interest.animals
clari.news.interest.people
clari.news.interest.quirks
clari.news.law.profession
clari.news.law.supreme
comp.ai.nlang-know-rep
comp.binaries.atari.st
comp.binaries.hypercard
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes
comp.dcom.lans.hyperchannel
comp.graphics.visualization
comp.lang.objective-c
comp.mail.multi-media
comp.org.usenix.roomshare
comp.os.msdos.programmer
comp.os.os2.programmer
comp.periphs.printers
comp.protocols.appletalk
comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ
comp.protocols.iso.x400
comp.protocols.iso.x400.gateway
comp.protocols.kerberos
comp.protocols.kermit
comp.protocols.tcp-ip
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc
comp.protocols.time.ntp
comp.security.announce
comp.sources.atari.st
comp.sources.games.bugs
comp.sys.amiga.hardware
comp.sys.atari.st.tech
comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer
comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
comp.sys.intel.ipsc310
comp.sys.mac.announce
comp.sys.mac.hardware
comp.sys.mac.hypercard
comp.sys.mac.programmer
comp.sys.workstations
comp.terminals.bitgraph
comp.terminals.tty5620
comp.theory.cell-automata
comp.theory.dynamic-sys
comp.theory.info-retrieval
comp.theory.self-org-sys
comp.windows.ms.programmer
comp.windows.open-look
comp.windows.x.announce
gnu.emacs.lisp.manual
misc.forsale.computers
misc.headlines.unitex
news.announce.conferences
news.announce.important
news.announce.newgroups
news.announce.newusers
news.ewusers.questions
news.newusers.questions
news.software.anu-news
psu.beaver.scratch.and.sniff
psu.father.knows.best
psu.football.majors.dumb
rec.arts.movies.reviews
rec.arts.startrek.info
rec.humor.doctortoyoubuddy
rec.music.country.western
rec.sport.football.college
rec.sport.football.misc
rec.sport.football.pro
rec.sport.midget.tossing
rec.sport.pro-wrestling
rec.sport.snowboarding
sci.math.num-analysis
sci.psychology.digest
soc.culture.african.american
soc.culture.asian.american
soc.culture.australian
soc.culture.bangladesh
soc.culture.esperanto
soc.culture.latin-america
soc.culture.sri-lanka
soc.culture.vietnamese
soc.religion.christian
talk.politics.mideast
talk.religion.christian
trial.rec.metalworking
vmsnet.announce.newusers

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (12/24/90)

[jimomura@lsuc.on.ca writes ... ]

>      I just received some messages at 'tndb' sent to
> 'comp.sys.atari.st.tech'.  Being a new group on my system they
> were dumped in the catch-all 'letter.box' file that STadel creates
> for undeliverable messages.  My first reaction was to decide
> that clearly I wanted to receive these messages.  So I started up
> STadel again and tried to create a "room" for this newsgroup name.
> Unfortunately, STadel will not support a name this long.  My peak
> is 20 characters.  I tried the STadel alias system before and it
> didn't work on my version of STadel, so I can't alias the messages
> to a shorter named room.  As such, I'm considering dropping the
> 'comp.sys.atari.st.tech' newsgroup completely.

Here is an excerpt from the output of ";known floors" on the MAST
BBS (Minnesota Atari ST users).

[Port Atari].......... ctdl.sys.Atari.ST)*  comp.sys.atari.st:*  Atari8:*
                      comp.sys.atari.st.t:*
                                        ^

        As you can see, the newsgroup name is truncated, but
	works.  For further info, contact Tom Cook, sysop of the
	MAST BBS, at "tacook@moundst.mn.org".

        Aliasing works, too, although the docs are confusing.
	The room "ctdl.sys.atari.st" is so named at MAST for the
	benefit of neighboring sites that receive it via UUCP.
	Most Citadels call it simply "Atari ST."

>      But looking at the current newsgroups, the 'comp.sys.atari.8bit'
> group is almost completely unused.

Yup. 8bitters are history. Like it or not.

>      Actually, having watched the newsgroup for the last month
> or so, I don't see the point in the 'comp.sys.atari.st.tech'
> newsgroup at all.  I haven't seen any *non*tech questions in
> the current 'comp.sys.atari.st' newsgroup.  Since there is
> no "noise" in the newsgroup as it stands why do we need the
> new newsgroup at all?  The small amount of traffic doesn't seem
> to warrant subdividing it.

Heh.... stick around. Noise? You'll see plenty of it.

comp.sys.atari.st periodically goes through horrid bouts of flaming,
bickering about Atari Corp.'s marketing policies, etc. Such
posts are explicitly forbidden by the charter of the tech group.

comp.sys.atari.st also is open for discussion of applications and
games, which .tech is not.

Conversely, chatter about programming dialog boxes properly belongs
in .tech, where it won't scare off the less technically inclined.

Returning to the matter of STadel and BBSing:

cmc@overmind.mind.org in Atlanta and Adrian Ashley up in Canada
(sorry, Adrian, but I can't recall your net address) have source
code to STadel and have developed their own mutations, Fortress and
<fnord>adel respectively. Bob Lee at Time Arts (the Lumena people)
also has his own version, called b0badel, but I think it's only for
PCs. Any of these folks can fix the roomname-length bug. A related
bug/feature commonly truncates very long user names; I hope that one
gets fixed, too.

The author of STadel*, David Parsons, no longer is working on
it, but is developing a portable BBS called bauble.  You can
contact him at "orc@jazz.sybase.com" or
"akcs.orc@vpnet.chi.il.us".

        *STadel originally was the Atari ST version of Citadel.
	It was ported from Citadel-86, which was HAW's PC
	version of a program that originated under CP/M. STadel
	later was ported back to PC-DOS and also to Amigados.
	The Lake, now a UUCP system, originally was "The world's
	second Atari ST Citadel," so I know about these things.
	:-)

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve
  Merry Christmas to all, and to all a warm blanket. Or two. Or three.
  It's -10 degrees (F) outside. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!