[comp.sys.atari.st] CONS-FIX??

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/02/90)

Can someone tell me what this program fixes (the docs are in German)?
I got it from atari.archive and Todd Miller's description says that
it fixes some problems with Quick ST and Turbo ST when they're used
with Gemini and Rufus.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Karsten Isakovic) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec01.191015.29164@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>Can someone tell me what this program fixes (the docs are in German)?
>I got it from atari.archive and Todd Miller's description says that
>it fixes some problems with Quick ST and Turbo ST when they're used
>with Gemini and Rufus.

Hello Ed,

ConsFix 1.3 (latest version!) fixes 2 problems...
- If you are using a shell like GEMINI / NeoDesk... and also use QuickST
  or TurboST you run into trouble if you use the GEMDOS redirection. The
  Consws and Fwrite(stdout) Calls are not written into the Console window
  or into a file, but are 'speeded up' by QuickST / TurboST.
  This is the first problem ConsFix patches.
- QuickST does not save the Register A2 while GEMDOS-Calls. The TurboC
  compiler (wrongly!) assumes that the register is not changed and so
  you often get bombs, when using programs that are compiled with TurboC
  an QuickST. This A2-Fix is the second patch in ConsFix.

The version 1.2 doesn't work with TurboST > 1.6, so please check the version
is 1.3! ConsFix must start bevor QuickST in the AutoFolder. I am writing
the english docs....
I have written another patch program: VdiFix patches an error of the
v_opnwk/v_opnvwk call. Under certain conditions the same handle is assigned
to every newly opened VDI-Workstation. This error is found in every TOS
except TOS 1.2.

Sincerly, Karsten

GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec01.191015.29164@ecst.csuchico.edu>, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu
(Ed Krimen) says:

>Can someone tell me what this program fixes (the docs are in German)?
>I got it from atari.archive and Todd Miller's description says that
>it fixes some problems with Quick ST and Turbo ST when they're used
>with Gemini and Rufus.

Hello Ed!

This program fixes the I/O-redirection bug. If you use the console-window
from Gemini and on of those "softwareblitters" you can't direct the output
from a program (a contents-listing of a zoo-archive for example) to a file
or the printer port, because the new BIOS-routines of Quick-ST and Turbo-ST
doesn't care about I/O-redirection.

Greetings, Olaf

ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Karsten Isakovic) (12/25/90)

In article <90339.130233GERLOFF@DB0TUI11.BITNET>
 GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) writes:
>The thing is under testing. If you are interested to beta-test it, just
>make me know.
>
>Long Haired Nick
>
>--
>| Nick Sandru (alias Long Haired Nick)   | Backpacker's First Law:
>| Hoje Topholm 37    | e-mail:           | "The thing you need lies either
>| DK-3390 Hundested  |  ns@iddth.id.dk   |  in the bottom of your backpack,
>| Denmark            |  ns@iddth2.id.dk  |  or in a closet at your home..."

   What the HACK is this ???

CONS-FIX 1.3 is *my* program, i am the author of it. It is not in BETA-
test state, it is doing it's job (Fix TurboST/QuickST-redirection
problems to console if you use GEMINI or other shells). I distributed
it as freeware together with GEMINI 1.2 and in the FIDO-net. You can
download it from atari.archive (with german documentation), from every
big fido-node (it went around europe with stick/hatch) and every MAUS-net
box in germany.

Karsten Isakovic,                        ki@opal.cs.tu-berin.de

<SysMon, OverScan, Chameleon, ConsFix, VdiFix and many more...>

GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) (12/28/90)

In article <2387@quepasa.cs.tu-berlin.de>, ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Karsten
Isakovic) says:

>In article <90339.130233GERLOFF@DB0TUI11.BITNET>
> GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) writes:
>>The thing is under testing. If you are interested to beta-test it, just
>>make me know.
>>
>>Long Haired Nick
>>
>>--
>>| Nick Sandru (alias Long Haired Nick)   | Backpacker's First Law:
>>| Hoje Topholm 37    | e-mail:           | "The thing you need lies either
>>| DK-3390 Hundested  |  ns@iddth.id.dk   |  in the bottom of your backpack,
>>| Denmark            |  ns@iddth2.id.dk  |  or in a closet at your home..."

I never wrote anything like this !!

Greetings and a happy new year