[comp.sys.atari.st] HD

zeitler@esseye.UUCP (David Zeitler) (12/23/90)

Will the IBM PC 1.44 meg drives work just by plugging one in place of my old
720k 3.5" drive in my 1040STf? I never thought I'd need one after getting the
Syquest, but I find I need compatibility with my laptop which uses the high
density drives.

Thanks in advance for any help.

---
Dave Zeitler

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/27/90)

If you just plug a hd-floppy drive to your st, it will work, but only
in dd-mode. To get it work in hd-mode, you'll have to get a hd-adapter.
These adapters are available at least from Hard & Soft A.Herberg, which
is in Castrop-Rauxel, a place near Dusseldorf in Germany. To work correctly
this adapter needs the WD 1772 floppy-controller chip, check if your ST
has this one. (some won't)
To connect this firm, get a magazine (german) called 68000er STmagazin,
or send me email to get the address, part-nr and price.
I am not connected to this firm any way besides being a customer!

That magazine is really worth getting, because it helps you to contact
to the makers and shops of the most exotic hardware that is available to
the ST/Mega-serie.
Not connected with STmagazin either!

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec26.204345.29924@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>If you just plug a hd-floppy drive to your st, it will work, but only
>in dd-mode. To get it work in hd-mode, you'll have to get a hd-adapter.
>These adapters are available at least from Hard & Soft A.Herberg, which
>is in Castrop-Rauxel, a place near Dusseldorf in Germany. To work correctly
>this adapter needs the WD 1772 floppy-controller chip, check if your ST
>has this one. (some won't)
>To connect this firm, get a magazine (german) called 68000er STmagazin,
>or send me email to get the address, part-nr and price.
>I am not connected to this firm any way besides being a customer!
>
>That magazine is really worth getting, because it helps you to contact
>to the makers and shops of the most exotic hardware that is available to
>the ST/Mega-serie.
>Not connected with STmagazin either!

I seem to recall someone posting a rather lengthy message a few months
ago which went into graphic detail on how to connect a HD drive to an
ST.  The most exotic thing it requires is for one to double the clock
speed of the floppy controller chip.  I believe it was Rainer Klute who
posted it, so you might want to ask him.

Cheers,

Chris

p.s.  Oh yeah, just to piss off Stephen Jacobs, Atari stock closed at
      1 7/8 yesterday.  That is roughly 1/3 of it's value 5 months ago.
      Smiles everyone! :-)
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

gilliam@lowlif.dec.com (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec27.142024.1003@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes...
>In article <1990Dec26.204345.29924@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>I seem to recall someone posting a rather lengthy message a few months
>ago which went into graphic detail on how to connect a HD drive to an
>ST.

Here's a company that provides a product called Powerdrive:

DreamPark Development
2469 East Fort Union Blvd. Suite 100
Salt Lake City, UT 84121
801-943-4370

Board and external HD drive $259.95
Board and internal HD drive $189.95
Modification board only     $119.95

(I've never done business with them.)
---
Mason Gilliam
		(INTERNET,UUCP) gilliam@star.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!star.enet!gilliam
		(INTERNET)	gilliam%star.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

zeitler@esseye.UUCP (David Zeitler) (12/28/90)

Thanks much for the replies (both posted and email). I had hoped that a 10
minute switch to a cheap high density drive would solve my problem with
numerous disks of differing format floating around. Looks like I'll wait
until the problem gets more painful. For now, I'll continue hauling a couple
of these low capacity (? seems I used to consider anything over 100k high
capacity) 720k disks with the laptop to share data.

---
Dave Zeitler				zeitler@si.com
Smith's Industries			zeitler@sol.cs.wmich.edu
Aerospace & Defense Systems Inc.	Ph: (616)241-8168