[comp.sys.atari.st] File transfering with a Vax

reyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/14/90)

  There has been a bit of talk regarding file transfers
between ST's and Vax machines (via kermit).  I for one
have an old 1200 baud modem and really annoyed with the
fact that kermit takes so long.  I'm somewhat ignorant
when it comes to file transfers, so ask you all: why have
I only seen implementations of kermit on my vax?  Is there
any way to transfer with other methods (assuming we had
the vax-end programs), or am i stuck with slow-but-sure
kermit?

Thanks for your time,
David Rowell
REYY@Vax5.cit.cornell.edu (internet)
.signature upon request

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Dec13.181334.1597@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> reyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>  There has been a bit of talk regarding file transfers
>between ST's and Vax machines (via kermit).  I for one
>have an old 1200 baud modem and really annoyed with the
>fact that kermit takes so long.

About 3 years ago, Kermit was updated to use long packets and sliding
windows, making it much faster. I know that Uniterm supports long
packets. Check how old your Vax kermit is, and if it's pre-1988 or so
then it's not Kermit, it's your admin.

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec13.181334.1597@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, reyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>   There has been a bit of talk regarding file transfers
> between ST's and Vax machines (via kermit).  I for one
> have an old 1200 baud modem and really annoyed with the
> fact that kermit takes so long.  I'm somewhat ignorant
> when it comes to file transfers, so ask you all: why have
> I only seen implementations of kermit on my vax?  Is there
> any way to transfer with other methods (assuming we had
> the vax-end programs), or am i stuck with slow-but-sure
> kermit?

Well, we have Z-modem here on our VAX, and I use XYZ.TTP for downloads. I
have no idea where we got it though, you might want to check VMS ftp sites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
         /(____/__(_) o)_/
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yea, right, thats what I said.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

system@n6vbg.hamavnet.com (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec13.181334.1597@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, reyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>   There has been a bit of talk regarding file transfers
> between ST's and Vax machines (via kermit).  I for one
> have an old 1200 baud modem and really annoyed with the
> fact that kermit takes so long.  I'm somewhat ignorant
> when it comes to file transfers, so ask you all: why have
> I only seen implementations of kermit on my vax?  Is there
> any way to transfer with other methods (assuming we had
> the vax-end programs), or am i stuck with slow-but-sure
> kermit?

Yes, there are other ways of transferring files between a VAX and the ST. I
have Xmodem and Zmodem on our machines at work. For some reason Kermit is
the only protocol that got REALLY popular among VAX sites (I suppose this
is due to the fact that Kermit allows you to transmit 8 bit binary files
over communications channels that only support 7 bits, which used to be the
case quite often).

Anyways, I'd be happy to put the Xmodem and Zmodem programs for the VAX on
a tape for you (or anyone else who wants them).

--
Javier Henderson, N6VBG

system@n6vbg.hamavnet.com
{simpact,asylum,elroy}!hamavnet!n6vbg!system

cfw@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Chuck Waltrip) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec19.072434.67@n6vbg.hamavnet.com> system@n6vbg.hamavnet.com writes:
>In article <1990Dec13.181334.1597@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, reyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>>
>>   There has been a bit of talk regarding file transfers
>> between ST's and Vax machines (via kermit).  I for one
>> have an old 1200 baud modem and really annoyed with the
>> fact that kermit takes so long.  I'm somewhat ignorant
>> when it comes to file transfers, so ask you all: why have
>> I only seen implementations of kermit on my vax?  Is there
>> any way to transfer with other methods (assuming we had
>> the vax-end programs), or am i stuck with slow-but-sure
>> kermit?
	I use Uniterm's kermit between my 1040 and a VAX at 1200 baud.
	Uniterm's kermit has always, so far as I know, supported large
	packet sizes but VAX kermit implementations have not until recently.

	The version currently installed on our VAX (probably NOT the latest
	version) is "C-Kermit, 4E(070) 29 Jan 88, Vax/VMS" and it does
	support long packets.  When I set the Uniterm kermit packet length
	to 1024 bytes, I sustain transfer rates slightly in excess of 100CPS
	at 1200 baud.  This works fine since I rarely experience phone line
	errors.  Before VAX kermit accepted large packets, I sustained
	transfer rates of 75-80CPS.

	As a side note, for a while I had a local 9600 baud direct serial
	connection between an Atari and a VAX.  Even with the old VAX kermit,
	I sustained transfer rates which, if memory serves, were in excess of
	600CPS.  Nice :^).  The Atari and Uniterm weren't even breathing hard
	so 1600CPS at 19.2kb with large packets wouldn't surprise me. So let
	me take this opportunity to say thanks to Simon Poole for a wonderful
	program (Uniterm).