[comp.sys.atari.st] STE compatible software

whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) (01/03/91)

Is there a definitive list of major ST software that will or
will not run on the STE?  I have been trying to recommend
programs to a friend with an STE, but I can't be sure what
will run.  (I was crushed when my trusty old "Star Raiders"
refused to run on it.)

I can only make a few contributions.  These programs work on the
STE (as far as I can tell):

Data Manager Professional
Their Finest Hour (better colors than ST!!)
Battlehawks 1942
Codehead Utilities
Dr.T's Tiger Cub, KCS V3.0
Atari Joust, Crystal Castles

Also, is the Mega STE going to have TOS V1.6, or higher?  Will the
famous STE bugs be fixed for its release?  I'm curious if it will
be worthwhile to upgrade from a Mega 2 to a Mega STE.

*********************************|||**********************************
Jonathan Whitcomb                ||| UUCP: <...!mcnc!aurgate!whitcomb>
(919) 850-6231                  / | \
Raleigh, NC                    /  |  \  ******Save the ST!!!******

root@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (Da Boss) (01/03/91)

	A British Mag ( ST Format ) published a list of games when the STe
first came out. Many of the games ST Format said didn't work have been
found to work on 1 meg machines. Probably because of the larger TOS.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/03/91)

whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) writes:

- Is there a definitive list of major ST software that will or
- will not run on the STE?  I have been trying to recommend
- programs to a friend with an STE, but I can't be sure what
- will run.  (I was crushed when my trusty old "Star Raiders"
- refused to run on it.)

There are very few programs that do not work on the STe.  I guess
Star Raiders is one of them. :^)  Some games will not owrk because
they make programming shortcuts and didn't heed Mother Atari's rules.

- Also, is the Mega STE going to have TOS V1.6, or higher?

Yeah.  It should have the new 'TT desktop.'  Other than that, it
seems to be the same as TOS 1.6.

-  Will the famous STE bugs be fixed for its release?

What STe bugs?

- I'm curious if it will be worthwhile to upgrade from a Mega 2 to a
- Mega STE.

Yes.  I've even been thinking about upgrading from my STe.  :^)  But
I probably won't.  I'd miss my ICD booter software and could just
install an ADSpeed to get the 16Mhz.  A detachable, nice-looking
keyboard (not a KX or Zkeys hack job with IBM keyboard) would be nice
too.  (BTW, there's something called a Megamater cable which lets you
connect a Mega keyboard to a 520/1040.  If the MegaSTe and TT uses
the same modular phone jack, I wonder if it would work.)

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

rcd@cbnewsj.att.com (rana.c.dutt) (01/03/91)

> Is there a definitive list of major ST software that will or
> will not run on the STE?

STart magazine included a compatibility list in it's Dec. 1990 cover
story on the ST. I quote from it:

"Extensive testing by European sources shows that less than a quarter
 of the available games run on the STE."

It goes on to say that programs that break the TOS developer guidelines
(Microsoft Write being one of them) will most likely not run on the STE.

Here is START's very noncomprehensive list of programs that DO run on the STE.

WORD PROCS/DTP		GRAPHICS	PROG/OTHER
===============		========	==========
1st Word Plus 		CAD-3D 2	GFA Basic 3.0
Calamus 1.09		Cyber Paint	HiSoft Basic
Fleet St. Publ.		DEGAS Elite	Laser C
Pagestream		EasyDraw 	MWC
Wordflair 1.0		Spectrum 512	Lattice C
WordPerfect 4.1		Touchup		Phasar 4.0
Word Writer 1.0

The list also included about two dozen games that run on the STE,
including Chessmaster 2000, F-15 Strike Eagle, Gauntlet II and Ultima II.

I wish someone would compile a more comprehensive list, something
like the excellent Spectre compatibility lists found in Dave Small's
newsletters.

Rana Dutt
rcd@mtqua.att.com

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (01/03/91)

>Also, is the Mega STE going to have TOS V1.6, or higher?  Will the
>famous STE bugs be fixed for its release?  I'm curious if it will
>be worthwhile to upgrade from a Mega 2 to a Mega STE.

Quick Index reports the Mega STe has TOS 2.2 installed...

It apparently fixes those known bugs in lower versions of TOS too...

This is essentially the TT TOS, and adds lots of nice features..!

BobR