[comp.sys.atari.st] STadel questions

jhm@nixtdc.uucp (John H. McMullen) (01/03/91)

(My apologies if you've seen this before, but I stupidly typed "north america"
as a distribution keyword instead of "na")

I've been thinking about setting up my own BBS, so I got the three STadel
archives from atari.archive.  Now, they contain a *lot* of useful utilities
and stuff (is there a new version of the jsh shell?), but they don't include
the source, and they are apparently some files not included (such as aide.mnu),
and they don't include a place to which I could send money if I decide
to use it.  (I try to pay for shareware I use.)

So the questions are:

1)  Does anyone actually have the "other" distribution of 3.3c, with the
    files that are missing from the atari.archive files?  --preferably
    source as well, but it won't ruin my life if the sources never show.

2)  Does anyone have an address for David "orc" Parsons, so I can send
    him money if I decide to use it?

Thanks for your help.

John McMullen
jhm@nixtdc.UUCP    or    jhmcmullen@watyew.waterloo.edu
                         but it just forwards the mail

From comp.sys.atari.st.tech Wed Jan  2 13:08:41 1991
From: jhm@nixtdc.uucp (John H. McMullen)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 90 03:37:02 GMT
Subject: Monochrome monitor shakes -- request for summary

After moving my machine to a new room, I find that my aged but usually
reliable SM125 monitor has developed an intermittent case of the
monitor shakes.  I recall people were talking about this but didn't
bother to read the posts (after all, my monitor was usually reliable).
Could someone please e-mail me a summary, please?  (Don't post; no need
to waste bandwidth, and I might not see it: we expire news awful fast here.)

Thanks!

John McMullen
jhm@nixtdc.uucp     or     jhmcmullen@watyew.waterloo.edu
                           but it just forwards to nixtdc

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (01/03/91)

[jhm@nixtdc.uucp writes ... ]

> I've been thinking about setting up my own BBS, so I got the three STadel
> archives from atari.archive.  Now, they contain a *lot* of useful utilities
> and stuff (is there a new version of the jsh shell?), but they don't include
> the source, and they are apparently some files not included (such as
> aide.mnu),

Oops. Several people on the net should be able to mail you that one.

> and they don't include a place to which I could send money if I decide
> to use it.  (I try to pay for shareware I use.)
>
> So the questions are:
>
> 1)  Does anyone actually have the "other" distribution of 3.3c, with the
>     files that are missing from the atari.archive files?  --preferably
>     source as well, but it won't ruin my life if the sources never show.

Sources are available from the MAST BBS, (612) 472-6582, in Minnesota,
which runs a Telebit T2500 -- you can snag the files at high speed using
either V.32 or PEP protocols. Use STadel to file-request "*.dir" from
the "STadel" room. MAST has source code to STadel and binaries for
STadel, Fortress, Citadel-86 and <fnord>adel. The sysop of MAST is
tacook@mast.moundst.mn.org; the BBS is a Citadel/UUCP gateway.

The problem with the sources is that they depend on the Alcyon compiler,
which almost nobody uses anymore, and Orc's personal mutant libc.a.

> 2)  Does anyone have an address for David "orc" Parsons, so I can send
>     him money if I decide to use it?

Orc's network address is akcs.orc@vpnet.chi.il.us or orc@jazz.sybase.com.
He has released STadel to the public domain and is (slowly) working on
a small, modular, portable replacement.

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve

zair@polari.UUCP (Peter Sarrett) (01/04/91)

More on STadel: the last version released as binaries was STadel 3.3d, which I
believe is the version available on MAST.  If you're closer to Seattle than
you are to Minnesota, you could call my BBS and I'll put the stuff up for you.
I ran STadel 3.3d for a month and just switched to <fnord>adel, which was based
on the STadel 3.3b code.  3.3d has a lot of features <fnord> doesn't have, but
they're working on it.  One of the advantages of <fnord> is that it is still
being actively supported, whereas orc has stopped working on STadel.

STadel and related files I have:

STadel 3.3d binaries, documentation, and help files
STadel 3.4a sources
<fnord>adel 1.30 binaries, docs, and help files

Any or all of the above can be made available to you if interested.  Drop a note to me (Sysop) on my BBS, Snickersnack at (206)869-8697 (300/1200/2400).

Peter Sarrett          | 18603 NE 59th Court    |  "I don't know what God is,
Internet: zair@polari  | Apt. E207              |   but I know he's more
GEnie: DELTASOEGTSI    | Redmond, WA  98052     |   powerful than Mom & Dad
BBS: (206)869-8697     | Phone: (206)869-7746   |   combined."  - L. Simpson

jon@Asylum.cam.org (Jonathan Carroll) (01/04/91)

In <1991Jan2.181438.17893@nixtdc.uucp>, John H. McMullen writes:

>(My apologies if you've seen this before, but I stupidly typed "north america"
>as a distribution keyword instead of "na")

>1)  Does anyone actually have the "other" distribution of 3.3c, with the
>    files that are missing from the atari.archive files?  --preferably
>    source as well, but it won't ruin my life if the sources never show.

>Thanks for your help.
>
>John McMullen
>jhm@nixtdc.UUCP    or    jhmcmullen@watyew.waterloo.edu

On GEnie, STadel 3.3d is actually posted.. though there isn't a whole lot of
source code included.  There *is* source code for the main program...

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who uses STadel as a news/mail
reader.  I never managed to get it to work.

--
(c)1991     All    Rights    Deserved

My views do not necessarily represent
the views of myself... Huh?