[comp.sys.atari.st] TT compiler

ens@ccu.umanitoba.ca (12/18/90)

    I just got a TT030 last Friday (ordered Monday) from Atari Canada.
For 4 meg RAM, 48 meg HD, it cost 2900 Cdn (~2400 US); the multi-res
monitor (ST-low, ST-med, ST-high, TT-low, TT-med) was another $750.
Those are educational prices. First impressions: it is noticeably
faster (the desktop is close enough to instant, pagestream runs
much more smoothly), the ST-high mode is _almost_ as good as the
SM124 screen, the desktop is disappointingly similar to TOS 1.4;
fortunately NeoDesk runs.
    If anyone has information on what compilers are available that
can take advantage of the 68030, 68881, the VME, the TT-low and med
resolutions, etc, I would be grateful to hear about them. Atari
(Canada) recommended Hi-Soft C form Europe. So far I haven't found
a North American distributer. Will megamax upgrade their compiler;
that would be cheaper for Laser C owners, and probably a faster
compiler.
Werner Ens
Physics, Manitoba

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/19/90)

ens@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
>    I just got a TT030 last Friday (ordered Monday) from Atari Canada.

Thanks and Congratulations.

>the desktop is disappointingly similar to TOS 1.4;

I believe you're wrong there.  Please read your manual.  Or just look
at the menus; they should tell you how different it is. In the default
configuration, it does look like the ST Desktop, so as not to be
confusing to ST users, but it's really very different.  Anecdotal
evidence of how different it is: the Neodesk guys are mad at us for
copying their ideas (we didn't).

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (12/21/90)

#
#Thanks and Congratulations.
#
##the desktop is disappointingly similar to TOS 1.4;
#
#I believe you're wrong there.  Please read your manual.  Or just look
#at the menus; they should tell you how different it is. In the default
#configuration, it does look like the ST Desktop, so as not to be
#confusing to ST users, but it's really very different.  Anecdotal
#evidence of how different it is: the Neodesk guys are mad at us for
#copying their ideas (we didn't).

Is that still any reason not to release it for the ST? ST users, Codehead
and Double Click all want it released.

This issue won't die. If you sell your ST and buy a TT then the guy who's now
got your old ST will want the new desktop.

#============================================
#Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
#reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 minutes!"              !

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/22/90)

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:
>Is that still any reason not to release it for the ST? ST users, Codehead
>and Double Click all want it released.

That has nothing to do with what I said.  I said that if ENS thinks the
TT Desktop is "disappointingly similar" to the ST Desktop, then he
probably hasn't really looked at it and hasn't read the manual.

On the subject that you bring up: similarity to existing third-party
products is not a reason that the "new Desktop" isn't available for
ST's.  And what's this about "Codehead and Double Click all want it
released?"  What difference does that make?

In any event, the "new Desktop" is not available in any RAM-loaded
version at this time; it's only available in TT and Mega STe ROM TOSes.
 If you see a RAM-loaded version of Atari's Desktop, it's an illegal
copy of Atari propietary material and furthermore should not be trusted
to be reliable.

ens@ccu.umanitoba.ca (12/26/90)

In article <2788@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
> [...]
> I said that if ENS thinks the
>TT Desktop is "disappointingly similar" to the ST Desktop, then he
>probably hasn't really looked at it and hasn't read the manual.
> [...]
>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

You're right. I didn't look at the manual or the desktop carefully. The
new desktop really is much better; I especially like selecting the
top window as default when a program is run from a desktop icon. You
can't tell a book ...

Here's a vote for releasing a RAM based version of the new desktop
for ST's so all the ataris in our lab work the same way.

Werner Ens

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte -- Universiteit Twente) (01/02/91)

ens@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:

>Here's a vote for releasing a RAM based version of the new desktop
>for ST's so all the ataris in our lab work the same way.

>Werner Ens

Here is another vote for a <1040 - runnable> version of the new desktop

Klamer.

(Atari corp., are you listening? )

--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands

Frank.Moehle@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank Moehle) (01/04/91)

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte -- Universiteit Twente) writes:

>ens@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:

>>Here's a vote for releasing a RAM based version of the new desktop
>>for ST's so all the ataris in our lab work the same way.

>>Werner Ens

>Here is another vote for a <1040 - runnable> version of the new desktop

>Klamer.

>(Atari corp., are you listening? )

This is another vote for a HD-booteable version,
RAM usage is less important

Frank
Nick       : Lateman                                      | I may be late,
Real       : Frank Moehle, Oldenburg, West Germany        | but I'm worth
Inhouse    : faramir!moesel                               | waiting for.
EARN/BITNET: 025881@DOLUNI1        UUCP: moehle@uniol     +-----------------
DOMAIN     : Frank.Moehle@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
------------------------------>Fascinating.<--------------------------------
Computing violation , IBM dumped

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (01/04/91)

In article <4135@uniol.UUCP> Frank.Moehle@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank Moehle) writes:
>klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte -- Universiteit Twente) writes:
>
>>ens@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
>
>>>Here's a vote for releasing a RAM based version of the new desktop
>>>for ST's so all the ataris in our lab work the same way.
>
>>>Werner Ens
>
>>Here is another vote for a <1040 - runnable> version of the new desktop
>
>>Klamer.
>
>>(Atari corp., are you listening? )
>
>This is another vote for a HD-booteable version,
>RAM usage is less important

With 1 meg SIMMs at about $30/meg now, I would agree with the above.  RAM
usage isn't as important as the addition of the newer (hopefully less buggy)
features.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |