[comp.sys.atari.st] Mac MIDI with GCR

bayers@hub.cs.jmu.edu (brian ayers) (01/06/91)

ia4@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Imran Anwar) writes:

>Not long ago I read in a magazinelike KEYBOARD that Dave Small had developed
>a board for Mega machines that would hook up to Apple Midi intrface and
>allow Mac Midi s/ware to be run under the GCR. Is that available?

>Imran Anwar

The board that you're thinking of is the MegaTalk board, I just got the
Gadgets newsletter describing it and does it sound nice!  The only downer
is that you have to have a Mega ST for it (until they come out with the
other version, heh).  It has two of the LocalTalk din-8 ports and a
SCSI port that has been tested to work with Mac MIDI devices, scanners,
and even the Apple CD-ROM works apparently!  Makes me wish I had a Mega.
Their list price is $299.95 and will be available by March '91 (they have
to get it to pass FCC inspection because of the added ports.)  The newsletter
hints at a 1040/520 version of it in the future (as well as for the
68030 SST board!) but I can imagine all kinds of problems that that will
cause, like weak power supplies, heat buildup, and major hacking on the
plastic case of your ST.  In case you haven't heard, Gadgets has also
finished the 68030 board for the Megas, but the installation won't be
as easy for the MegaTalk board, which just plugs into a Mega slot.
It requires yanking your 68000, soldering in a socket and pluggin their
board into the socket (and if you just order the board by itself, you
get to plug in the 68030, SIMMs, and 68882 yourself!)  Freedom of press
also pushes me toward revealing the prices as well (it's not like I'm
giving away trade secrets or anything) -
	SST board by itself: $599.00 (That's with no '030)
	option A.)	16 Mhz 68030: $200.00
	option B.)	16 Mhz 68030, 4 1Meg SIMMs (80ns): $460.00
	option C.)	33 Mhz 68030, 68882, 4 1Meg SIMMs: $800.00
Of course, you will need to buy SIMMs, since the memory in your ST is too
slow for the 68030, the board will take up to 8 of them.
If you ask me (which of course you didn't, heh), option C is the only
way to go, if I had a Mega I would seriously think about scrounging for
the $1,400 (sure beats $3,000-$4,000 doesn't it?)  You still don't have
the VME bus or super monitors of the TT, but coupled with the MegaTalk
board, you've got networking and SCSI!  The SST board won't ship until
April '91.

I am in no way affliliated with Gadgets by Small, just a proud owner of
the Spectre GCR.

JT
Internet:			bayers@hub.cs.jmu.edu	or
				help_jt@vax1.acs.jmu.edu