[comp.sys.atari.st] GNU

Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) (12/22/90)

I have read a little about GNU.  I thought that GNU was suppose to be an
alternative to UNIX that was being developed to be free.  Anyways, I have seen
alot of stuff on atari.archive and panarthea that say GNU-this and GNU-that..
What exactly does this mean?  Is there a versio of GNU running on the ST?

Anyboyd in Net-land using Minix on there ST?  I read an article in BYTE mag.
about it and it sounds really good.  Does the St version do all of the stuff
that the IBM version does (for example does the ST version come with a C
compiler, etc)    ......Yonderboy@cup.portal.com

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/27/90)

Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) writes:

>I have read a little about GNU.  I thought that GNU was suppose to be an
>alternative to UNIX that was being developed to be free.  Anyways, I have seen
>alot of stuff on atari.archive and panarthea that say GNU-this and GNU-that..
>What exactly does this mean?  Is there a versio of GNU running on the ST?

The things which are widely available for the ST from the Free Software
Foundation (aka the GNU people) are the compiler and some related utilities.
GNU itself is, as you say, a UNIX-workalike OS, but anything from FSF
is called "GNU this" and "GNU that" -- GCC is the GNU C Compiler, GNU Make
is (obviously) make, GNUUCP is UUCP from FSF.  And then there are tools that
do NOT have GNU (or even G) in their names: Bison is a yacc replacement;
flex is a lex replacement (which may not be from FSF at all).

All FSF software is covered by something called "copyleft" -- it's a
copyright, and some terms under which you can use and distribute the
tools.  It is stated in a file called COPYING when you get most anything
of theirs.  Briefly, it states that you are allowed to use it, and you're
allowed to give it away, and you can't deny anybody else's right to use
it or give it away.  It also covers the source code: if you give away
FSF stuff, you have to give away the source, too, or hold it available,
or let the person you give it to know where you got the sources, so s/he
can get them from there, too.  This is a simplification, but it should convey
the general idea.

The chief confusion I have run into about copyleft is what's covered.
The compiler and tools are covered.  Programs you write using the
compiler are not: you can charge money for them, hoard the source code,
etc. This is limited by the status of any library you link with, but on
the ST the libraries are explicitly PD. Bison is a special case,
because a parser generated by Bison contains FSF source code which GCC
in turn compiles.  Therefore the parser, and any program containing it,
contains FSF source code and therefore is covered by the copyleft.

Yes, lots of people use Minix.  Try bammi@cadence.com,
ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca, and comp.os.minix.  I don't happen to use Minix.

stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) (12/29/90)

> Bison is a special case, because a parser generated by Bison
> contains FSF source code which GCC in turn compiles.  Therefore the
> parser, and any program containing it, contains FSF source code and
> therefore is covered by the copyleft.

Fortunately, this mistake was not repeated with "flex" the lex clone.
According to the COPYING file that comes with flex, the skeleton
source code is fully public domain and any programs generated by flex
are not restricted by copyleft.  Personally, I think flex is
wonderful.

							stank

US Mail: Stan Kalinowski, Tektronix, Inc., Network Displays Division
         PO Box 1000, MS 60-850, Wilsonville OR 97070   Phone:(503)-685-2458
e-mail:  {ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!stank
    or   stank@orca.WV.TEK.COM

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (01/02/91)

Any GNU experts out there?  It'd be nice to have a list of pathnames
for atari.archive and dsrgsun which point to various GNU software -
The aim being to get complete working packages of the latest 'bestest'
software.  Like for Emacs, GCC, G++, Scheme?, etc...

I don't know about anyone else but it's quite confusing to see
multiple versions with multiple (and often incompatible) libraries,
etc.  Perhaps a system could be devised to facilitate the process of
distribution?  packages like TeX, GNU software, and others would
benefit.  There are other releases of software that don't suffer from
this, likely planned I would think!

Cheers,

Joe
-=-

Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) (01/06/91)

I too am having trouble sorting thru all of this stuff, and they are huge
files -- therefore trail and error is a real *pain*.

Anyways, I have recently been trying to figure out how I might be able to
play around with TeX on my ST.  Will I be able to do this with only 1Meg?
Also, how much HD space?  Which archives do I need?

The main utilitarian reason I would like to get TeX working is so that I
could print out the UniTerm docs.  Is there a "easy" way to print
these out (I.E. a  utility that just prints and nothing else?)  Also I am
using a cheap old dot matrix printer (SG-10)..

I think DVI is a TeX file previewer and MetaFont is a TeX font maker, is this
correct?  I haven't been able to get any of this stuff to run correctly yet..
                   .......thanks ahead of time.... yonderboy@cup.portal.com

suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (01/07/91)

In article <37621@cup.portal.com> Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) writes:

   Anyways, I have recently been trying to figure out how I might be able to
   play around with TeX on my ST.  Will I be able to do this with only 1Meg?
   Also, how much HD space?  Which archives do I need?

TeX runs OK in 1 Meg, sure... HD usage depends on how much you have & what
you want to do with TeX: For simple documents you need (much) less than
2 Megs, but if you want a "good" collection of stuff for professional
book typesetting, you can easily use more than 20 megs...
5 Megs is enoug for most TeXperts.

What you need??  Get sttex.xxx [xxx for arc, zoo, lzh, whatever]; get a
previewer; get font files as much as you wand/you have space in your HD;
get format files and last but not least get pk (or pxl)pixel files for both
previewer and printer driver (forgot: get a printer driver also).

All the stuff should be found from atari.archive...

   The main utilitarian reason I would like to get TeX working is so that I
   could print out the UniTerm docs.  Is there a "easy" way to print
   these out (I.E. a  utility that just prints and nothing else?)  Also I am
   using a cheap old dot matrix printer (SG-10)..

Yes.... If you don't mind those TeX commands in your doc, then just print all
.TEX files you have, but if you do mind about those commands then find a
detex program somewhear (migh be in atari.archive). detex eats all TeX -stuff
from .TEX files so you can print them.

In general: .TEX files are pure ASCII files...

   I think DVI is a TeX file previewer and MetaFont is a TeX font maker, is this
   correct?  I haven't been able to get any of this stuff to run correctly yet..

NO!!! DVI is DeVice Independent output of TeX. Metafont IS a font maker, and
you don't need it to run TeX (unless you wan't to make your own fonts).

--
Timo Suhonen       I am logged in, therefore I am         suhonen@nic.funet.fi
                                                          suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (01/08/91)

In article <37621@cup.portal.com> Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) writes:
|  I too am having trouble sorting thru all of this stuff, and they are huge
|  files -- therefore trail and error is a real *pain*.

Yes it IS big!

|  Anyways, I have recently been trying to figure out how I might be able to
|  play around with TeX on my ST.  Will I be able to do this with only 1Meg?
|  Also, how much HD space?  Which archives do I need?

I have managed to run LaTeX.TTP on my 1040 ST w/o any problems.  I do
not know how large a document it could handle when all ACCs are
removed.

|  The main utilitarian reason I would like to get TeX working is so that I
|  could print out the UniTerm docs.  Is there a "easy" way to print
|  these out (I.E. a  utility that just prints and nothing else?)  Also I am
|  using a cheap old dot matrix printer (SG-10)..

The Uniterm docs come out quite nicely, especially if you can get them
to a Laser printer.  I haven't yet tried DVIEPSON.TTP which should
work with my old FX-80.

|  I think DVI is a TeX file previewer and MetaFont is a TeX font maker, is this
|  correct?  I haven't been able to get any of this stuff to run correctly yet..

TeX transforms a .TEX file to a .DVI (DeVice Independant) file.  The
DVI file can then be viewded with DVIST, or SHOWDVI, or printed with
DVIEPSON, etc.  If you have access to a Unix box with TeX, then you
can upload the DVI file and print it there.  MetaFont is the TeX font
maker.  There are also many little font conversion programs such as
PXLTOPK, PKTOGF, GFTOPK, etc.  Some device drivers only accept one
kind of font file: GF is Generic Font, PXL is the wasteful pixel Font
format, and PK is the PacKed format.

| 		      .......thanks ahead of time.... yonderboy@cup.portal.com

By the way, cup.portal.com does not seem to be known from the .COM
domain.  I believe that it was rejected by Sun.COM's mailer.

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.