[comp.sys.atari.st] background downloading

sslee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steven Lee) (01/06/91)

I've seen a program called DCTRANDM (probably on atari.archive also)
that allows you to upload in the background so you can continue to do
something else in the meantime.  Is there a program that will let you
download in the background or is the program Shadow (if it's still
selling) my only option?

Steven Lee

ob@obh.in-berlin.de (Oliver Brandmueller) (01/07/91)

Hello Steven,

In article <2786c6d0.3b52@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> sslee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
(Steven Lee) writes:
> I've seen a program called DCTRANDM (probably on atari.archive also)
> that allows you to upload in the background so you can continue to do
> something else in the meantime.  Is there a program that will let you
> download in the background or is the program Shadow (if it's still
> selling) my only option?

There is also a way if you install the RUFUS-terminal-program from
germany (shareware) as an ACCessory. Or if you've installed MiNT
you can up- and download with TOS rz/sz and maybe other TOS trans-
fer-protocols.

Bye, Olli
|ob@obh.in-berlin.de   (Oliver Brandmueller) |bbs:+49 30/853 65 44|
|Detmolder Str. 64a - Tel.: +49 30 853 69 80 |   write 'n enjoy!  |

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (01/07/91)

In article <2786c6d0.3b52@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, sslee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steven Lee) writes:

>                                  Is there a program that will let you
> download in the background or is the program Shadow (if it's still
> selling) my only option?

Pick up STalker; it's a commercial program, but you *will* like it, especially
the support.

Pierre Fortin       Bell-Northern Research     I know, my postings are
Internet Systems    P.O.Box 3511, Stn C        terse and humourless. So?
(613)763-2598       Ottawa, Ontario            RIP: aptly named protocol
fortinp@bnr.ca      Canada    K1Y 4H7          AppleTalk: Adam&Eve's design

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (01/07/91)

In <2786c6d0.3b52@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, Steven Lee writes:

> Is there a program that will let you download in the background
>or is the program Shadow (if it's still selling) my only option?

	I've seen a few copies of shadow still on the wall in local stores.
( At least here we have local stores ) I don't think Antic is shipping
it or supporting it at all, in fact, of the 6 warranty cards I mailed
to Antic during their heyday, I never received one newsletter, catalogue
or any other ack.
    I think I saw Mike Vederman complaining here, or on GEnie, that he
hadn't seen a royalty check in years. I bought, and use Shadow regularly
and would like to publicly call on DClick to follow CFJ's recent re-doing
of macro-mouse as a new and improved program, and give us another Shadow
with new and improved features like zmodem. Any others to show these guys
there'd be some sales. Shadow is excellant, except for a few annoyances,
like, if you time out in a batch download, you lose all of the files.
Other than that, it has a permanent place on my machine anyways. Thanks
to Mike and Paul, even if Antic never allowed you to provide a followup
support.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/08/91)

sslee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steven Lee) writes:

- I've seen a program called DCTRANDM (probably on atari.archive also)
- that allows you to upload in the background so you can continue to
- do something else in the meantime.  Is there a program that will let
- you download in the background or is the program Shadow (if it's still
- selling) my only option?

I remember Mike Vederman of DC Software mentioning a while ago that
DCTRANDM was the predessor to Shadow.  They're both Double Click
products. Shadow is still available, but I like STalker instead (even
though STalker works with Shadow) because you mustn't set up a large
buffer for STalker.

--
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0