[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari SH204 hostadapter with 'genuine' SCSI drives

heiden@kboeng.enet.dec.com (Matthias Heiden) (12/10/90)

I would like to upgrade my original SH204  (with 20 MByte Tandon 262) with
another drive.
As far as I understand the hostadapter inside the SH204 understands SCSI.
Therefore I would
like to connect it directly to a 'genuine' SCSI drive instead of putting another
MFM drive on the
Adaptec 4000 SCSI -> MFM controller.
Does anybody has experience with this solution ? What sort of problems could I
run into ?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks					Matthias Heiden

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/11/90)

heiden@kboeng.enet.dec.com (Matthias Heiden) writes:

[Edited]
>I would like to upgrade my original SH204 with another drive.
>As far as I understand the hostadapter inside the SH204 understands SCSI.
>Does anybody has experience with this solution ? What sort of problems could I
>run into ?

This works for some SH204's.  However, the power supply in the SH204 is
not beefy enough for some drives.  The only way to tell is to see if it
dies. Therefore this is not recommended practice.  In addition, the
host adapter might have the "old" PAL, not the "new" one, which won't
return some errors from the SCSI controller.  This bit me recently: the
"old" PAL didn't return "write protected" from my Syquest drive, and
boy was I confused!  The writes seemed to work, but the cached
directory etc. didn't match what was actually on the disk.

The "old" PAL has the number 60AC on it.  If the little board in your
SH204 has a chip with that number on it, it won't return some errors
from the drive.  I don't know how to get the "new" PAL - maybe dealers
can order it.  Since the SH204 is not in production any more, this
might be hard.

tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.110739@kboeng.enet.dec.com> heiden@kboeng.enet.dec.com \
(Matthias Heiden) writes:
>I would like to upgrade my original SH204  (with 20 MByte Tandon 262) with
>another drive.
>As far as I understand the hostadapter inside the SH204 understands SCSI.
>Therefore I would
>like to connect it directly to a 'genuine' SCSI drive instead of putting another
>MFM drive on the
>Adaptec 4000 SCSI -> MFM controller.
>Does anybody has experience with this solution ? What sort of problems could I
>run into ?
>Any help is appreciated.
>Thanks					Matthias Heiden

Well, I can tell you that I have had nothing but failure with this.
I used two mechanisms, the ST-157N and ST-296N from Seagate.  I can
make a ST-251-1 work fine (using HDX 3.01) but have never, despite
repeated attempts, succeeded in making a 'genuine' SCSI drive work.

Now, if you're gonna take a stab at it, be sure to have an editor on the
disk with HDX on it so you can modify your 'wincap' file, or else have
another disk with the editor, etc. on it.

If you get this to work, please let the world now.

I do have one comment:  MFM/ST-506 type drives are cheaper than
SCSI drives.  If you're looking for price/performance, consider
some of the drives made by Maxtor/Colorado.  They make a 70MB
19ms drive that really must work at about 5ms. (model 3085?)

Good Luck!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 _   _   _    |This space for rent.No opinions| Anthony P. Reynolds
/ | | \ | \   +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+ BITNet:CHTONY
\_| |_/ |                                     |        @UMSVM
    |         Ole Miss Rebels: 9-2            | Inet: tony@tacky.cs.
    '         Look for us at the Gator Bowl!  |          olemiss.edu
              Now every Mississipian is a     | USSnail: Box 1356,
                      Rebel Fan               | Oxford, MS 38655
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/13/90)

In article <2773@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
> heiden@kboeng.enet.dec.com (Matthias Heiden) writes:
>
> [Edited]
> >I would like to upgrade my original SH204 with another drive.
> >As far as I understand the hostadapter inside the SH204 understands
SCSI.
> >Does anybody has experience with this solution ? What sort of
problems could I
> >run into ?
>
> This works for some SH204's.  However, the power supply in the SH204
is
> not beefy enough for some drives.  The only way to tell is to see if
it
> dies. Therefore this is not recommended practice.  In addition, the
> host adapter might have the "old" PAL, not the "new" one, which won't
> return some errors from the SCSI controller.  This bit me recently:
the
> "old" PAL didn't return "write protected" from my Syquest drive, and
> boy was I confused!  The writes seemed to work, but the cached
> directory etc. didn't match what was actually on the disk.
>
> The "old" PAL has the number 60AC on it.  If the little board in your
> SH204 has a chip with that number on it, it won't return some errors
> from the drive.  I don't know how to get the "new" PAL - maybe dealers
> can order it.  Since the SH204 is not in production any more, this
> might be hard.

> Opinions expressed above do not necessarily -- Allan Pratt, Atari
Corp.
> reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.   ...ames!atari!apratt

Did not Berkeley Microsystems produce a replacement PAL, or some other
company did, as this would be some time back...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) (12/14/90)

I just bought the PAL chip meantioned for my Atari SH204.  I purchased the
chip from B&C Computer here in Sunnyvale, CA.  The number of B&C is
408-749-1003.  I think I paid $20 for it... I decided it was worth the
insurance.  You might want to try San Jose computer as well.  I think you
can find there number in the Atari Mags......
       ......Yonderboy@cup.portal.com

heiden@kboeng.enet.dec.com (Matthias Heiden) (01/08/91)

Some time ago I was asking for help:

(Matthias Heiden) writes:
>I would like to upgrade my original SH204  (with 20 MByte Tandon 262) with
>another drive. As far as I understand the hostadapter inside the SH204
>understands SCSI. Therefore I would like to connect it directly to a
>'genuine' SCSI drive instead of putting another MFM drive on the
>Adaptec 4000 SCSI -> MFM controller.
>Does anybody has experience with this solution ? What sort of problems
>could I run into ?
>Any help is appreciated.
>Thanks					Matthias Heiden

This is now an intermediate summary of my attempt to get information
and practical experience of how to use the Atari SH204 hostadapter
with 'genuine' SCSI drives.
First, thanks to all who replied and provided useful information and
experience.

The basic answer to my question seems to be : YES, it can be done
						   ... BUT
Here a selected collection of answers:

-  From: ccicpg!paulm@uunet.uu.net (Paul Moreau)
   [edited]
   I have hooked a Maxtor XT-4380S , XT-4380E w/ Emulex SCSI->ESDI card,
   a Wren 6 SCSI drive and a Cypher 540 SCSI cartridge tape drive to my
   SH204 host adapter.   I've only had problems with the Wren.

-  From: duke!sam.cs.olemiss.edu!tacky.cs.olemiss.edu!tony@mcnc.org
   (Tony Reynolds)
   [edited]
   Well, I can tell you that I have had nothing but failure with this.
   I used two mechanisms, the ST-157N and ST-296N from Seagate.  I can
   make a ST-251-1 work fine (using HDX 3.01) but have never, despite
   repeated attempts, succeeded in making a 'genuine' SCSI drive work.

-  From: apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt)
   [edited]
   This works for some SH204's.  However, the power supply in the SH204 is
   not beefy enough for some drives.  The only way to tell is to see if it
   dies. Therefore this is not recommended practice.  In addition, the
   host adapter might have the "old" PAL, not the "new" one, which won't
   return some errors from the SCSI controller.  This bit me recently: the
   "old" PAL didn't return "write protected" from my Syquest drive, and
   boy was I confused!  The writes seemed to work, but the cached
   directory etc. didn't match what was actually on the disk.

   The "old" PAL has the number 60AC on it.  If the little board in your
   SH204 has a chip with that number on it, it won't return some errors
   from the drive.  I don't know how to get the "new" PAL - maybe dealers
   can order it.  Since the SH204 is not in production any more, this
   might be hard.

-  From: fernwood!portal!cup.portal.com!Yonderboy@uunet.uu.net (Christopher
   Lee Russell)
   [edited]
   I just bought the PAL chip meantioned for my Atari SH204.  I purchased the
   chip from B&C Computer here in Sunnyvale, CA.  The number of B&C is
   408-749-1003.  I think I paid $20 for it... I decided it was worth the
   insurance.  You might want to try San Jose computer as well.  I think you
   can find there number in the Atari Mags......

-  Now my own experience so far:

   I tried with a Quantum P80S drive which was used before with a
   Future Domain SCSI board on a PC system. From there I know that
   it worked.
   The power supply of my SH204 is rated at 2 Ampere, the P80S
   consumes (according to spec.) at max 1.7.
   My SH204 has the "old" PAL - but anyhow.
   Using a single ended SCSI terminator at the P80S end, I got the drive
   finally alive. Using RATEHD from ICD, I'm getting the following average
   figures for my original and the Quantum setup:

                           Reported Setup   Transfer Rate    Access Time
   SH204 Adapter with
   Adaptec 4000 and          ADAPTEC 5000   306 Kbyte/sec	106 msec
   Tandon 262 - 20 MByte

   SH204 Adapter with    P80S 980-80-94xx   673 Kbyte/sec	 28 msec
   Quantum P80S

   This is in fact quite impressive (:-).
   By doing single sector reads, I can access 163545 sectors on the P80S
   and read all the information which was originally written while in use
   at the PC system.  Spin down by software works as well.

   Well, so far so good. BUT, although I can read, I did NOT succeed
   until now to WRITE anything nor to get the drive REFORMATTED!
   Trying to do so causes the drives's busy light to go on and stay on
   forever (at least until I switch the drive off). Further attempts
   to read/write/spin down ... leave me alone with "drive not responding"
   or "drive not available - check cabling" messages etc. (:-(.

   Any further advise is very much appreciated.

						Matthias Heiden