[comp.sys.atari.st] TT TOS

scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Steve Coile) (01/07/91)

   Regarding the disk-based TOS, why not put TOS on cartridge???  For
that matter, why not just base all operating systems in cartridge?
Think about the advantages!!  Upgrades would be a simple matter of
bringing the old cart in and exchanging it for the new (plus a small fee
I suppose).  Changing operating systems would just be a matter of
changing cartridges.  A cartridge based OS wouldn't take up an RAM (as
would a disk based), nor would it take any time to load (again, as would
a disk based OS).  From what I understand, carts can hold a LOT.  The
Lynx cards (for those who have seen them) hold upwards of 2 MEG!!!!!!
If they can hold that much, just think how much of an OS you could put
in one cartridge!!!  By way of price, the physical aspect of the cart
doesn't cost THAT much (carts for most game machines cost between $30
and $40, and SOME of that has to be for the software).  Can anyone tell
me why this ISN'T a good idea???

-Steve "Stevers!" Coile   SCOILE@GMUVAX.BITNET  scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (01/07/91)

In article <3203@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Steve Coile) writes:

>   Regarding the disk-based TOS, why not put TOS on cartridge???  For
>that matter, why not just base all operating systems in cartridge?
>Think about the advantages!!  Upgrades would be a simple matter of
>bringing the old cart in and exchanging it for the new (plus a small fee
>I suppose).  Changing operating systems would just be a matter of
>changing cartridges.  A cartridge based OS wouldn't take up an RAM (as
>would a disk based), nor would it take any time to load (again, as would
>a disk based OS).  From what I understand, carts can hold a LOT.  The
>Lynx cards (for those who have seen them) hold upwards of 2 MEG!!!!!!
>If they can hold that much, just think how much of an OS you could put
>in one cartridge!!!  By way of price, the physical aspect of the cart
>doesn't cost THAT much (carts for most game machines cost between $30
>and $40, and SOME of that has to be for the software).  Can anyone tell
>me why this ISN'T a good idea???

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that the cartidge port could
only address 128K.  (I could very well be mistaken, I'm not really
a techie.)

As for the OS updates, I think the best policy I've seen so far is
at Apple.  You can anonymous FTP over to Apple.Com and get the latest
version.  Now THAT'S what I call service.

>-Steve "Stevers!" Coile   SCOILE@GMUVAX.BITNET  scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (01/07/91)

In article <3203@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Steve Coile) writes:

>    Regarding the disk-based TOS, why not put TOS on cartridge???  For
[stuff deleted]
> and $40, and SOME of that has to be for the software).
> Can anyone tell me why this ISN'T a good idea???

Well, for starters:  The current OS (1.4) fits in 192K of ROM, *BUT* there
is only 128K available on the cart port.  If you can figure how to squeeze
the OS into that little cart...  :^)

Pierre Fortin       Bell-Northern Research     I know, my postings are
Internet Systems    P.O.Box 3511, Stn C        terse and humourless. So?
(613)763-2598       Ottawa, Ontario            RIP: aptly named protocol
fortinp@bnr.ca      Canada    K1Y 4H7          AppleTalk: Adam&Eve's design

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (01/08/91)

In <1991Jan7.005252.10937@bwdls61.bnr.ca>, Pierre Fortin writes:

>Well, for starters:  The current OS (1.4) fits in 192K of ROM, *BUT* there
>is only 128K available on the cart port.  If you can figure how to squeeze
>the OS into that little cart...  :^)

	How about packing the part that is loaded into memory and unpacking
on boot-up? I think ST Internals said there were several tricky ways
to get 512k out of the cartridge port.
    Come to think of it, wasn't there a company that sold 4 meg ram
drives that went into the cartridge port. Someone posting here a few
months ago had one.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan8.003736.13171@cs.olemiss.edu>, tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:
> In article <1991Jan7.005252.10937@bwdls61.bnr.ca> fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) writes:
>
>>Well, for starters:  The current OS (1.4) fits in 192K of ROM, *BUT* there
>>is only 128K available on the cart port.  If you can figure how to squeeze
>>the OS into that little cart...  :^)
>>

> Put a kernel OS with RAM jump-tables on the internal ROMS.
> Add 128K of updates to the cartridge port.
>
> Only problems are: What do you decide to put on the cart?
>                    When do you release a new internal ROM?

Tony,
  Though I myself REALLY like this idea, (ala Macintosh), it goes back to
bringing up the subject of (*yikes*) viruses.  It WOULD however, provide easy
updating, by simply putting out a new 'system' disk, (again, ala Macintosh).
  Atari must have had some valid reasons not to do this, but I can't think of
any.  Since they started out in one direction, it seems that they are stuck
going in that replace-the-complete-ROM-set direction, though It's not NEARLY as
cost effective, or easy to implement.
  Before anyone starts arguing about speed considerations, let me say that I do
program development on the Macintosh, (with a slower hard drive interface), and
the delay in rebooting is not all that bad, especially considering programs
like Pinhead for the ST.  Also, if you're not in an environment that causes
frequent reboots, the reboot speed of loading in such a RAM-based OS would be
negligible.

  Atari people:  I know you're tired of seeing this type of message, but CAN
you pass word to the people that make those type of R & D decisions to at least
CONSIDER something like this?

tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) (01/08/91)

  +=/----\=+   Get up, get,get down \   Tony Reynolds
  |/ Byte \|   I.B.M. is joking your \  tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu
  |\ Boys /|       town.              \ /usr/games/fortune:
  +=\----/=+   <<Appearing NetWide>>   \If I had any humility, I'd be perfect.
Starring MC 68000, Tony RISC, and V.G.A.\             --Ted Turner

Bryan_Jones_Woodworth@cup.portal.com (01/08/91)

>  Can anyone tell me why this ISN'T a good idea???

Regarding "Why not put TOS on carts?"

Don't other programs use the cartridge port?  Like Spectre GCR??  Magic
Sac, whatever?  Plus digitizing tools like Computereyes?

well. how do you use TOS if it is on cart-only, and you need the cart slot
for something else??

Bryan_Jones_Woodworth@cup.portal.com

sytang@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Shoou-yu tang) (01/08/91)

 The ST cart. port has only either 128KB or 256KB ( forget exactly which one, but it's not infinite) space.
And TOS is already larger than 128KB ( 6 * 32KB = 192KB). Plus I want to be able
to use the Spectre which is connected to Cart. port, and there is a few MIDI
and music stuff is using cart. port.
Just my 2 cents.
Tang
sytang@lamar.colostate.edu

In article <A0ayw678@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>In <1991Jan7.005252.10937@bwdls61.bnr.ca>, Pierre Fortin writes:
>>Well, for starters:  The current OS (1.4) fits in 192K of ROM, *BUT* there
>>is only 128K available on the cart port.  If you can figure how to squeeze
>>the OS into that little cart...  :^)

>	How about packing the part that is loaded into memory and unpacking
>on boot-up? I think ST Internals said there were several tricky ways
>to get 512k out of the cartridge port.
>    Come to think of it, wasn't there a company that sold 4 meg ram
>drives that went into the cartridge port. Someone posting here a few
>months ago had one.

Yep, I have a 4 Meg Ultradisk from Alpha Systems. Alpha Systems doesn't make
these any more, nor do they seem to be supporting them with new software.
It's a pity, because this thing is really handy. Plugs into the cartridge
port, has its own NiCd battery backup and an external power supply - completely
non-volatile reset-survivable RAMdisk. My gripes - the autoboot code stopped
working with TOS 1.4, and it doesn't seem to work on my STe - boot-up says it
only has 32K of RAM installed. (!!!) Apparently when the ST is powered up the
cartridge draws power from the ST and the STe isn't feeding enough current
out the cartridge port to power all 4Meg of RAMs in the cart. Big drag.

But it *is* a nice fast system. Writes are somewhat slow because of the way
that's fudged, but for reads you bank-switch in 64K at a time. No transfer
delays to speak of - literally lightning fast access. I wish they would
reconsider and resurrect this product, or something similar. Maybe something
with larger capacity hanging off the DMA port, so Spectre users could use
it as well. It'd be slower, but more flexible. RAM is cheap enough now, I
could go for a 16 meg battery-backed DMA port RAMdisk/cache.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.

jmack@b11.ingr.com (Cery McCormick) (01/09/91)

In article <A0ayw678@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca>, jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) writes:

> 	How about packing the part that is loaded into memory and unpacking
> on boot-up? I think ST Internals said there were several tricky ways
> to get 512k out of the cartridge port.

	I have a 1meg cartridge RAM disk. You could put almost any amount
of memory on a cartridge. You are elimited only by the cost. The problem
doing this is, that you need a special software driver to access it. With
anything 128k or less, the Atari can access the memory (ROM) as if it were
internal ROM. To put more than 128k ROM on the port, you would have to
have SOME code in internal ROM that knew how to read the cartridge port.