[comp.sys.atari.st] Two questions

scott@cs.odu.edu (05/23/89)

Hello Netters...

1) Does anyone have a version of Gulam that supports 19200?
2) Can anyone get ``compress -d '' to work without crashing your
   system or saying ``file already exists''?
   (1] I compressed a lot of stuff and I can't seem to uncompress
       it on my Atari side...
    2] When the system crashed... I lost a lot of stuff...
       that was compressed.)

   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]

steveg@SAIC.COM (Stephen Harold Goldstein) (06/17/89)

I don't think my original posting made it out, but if it did, I apologize for
the duplication.

Two questions:

(1) Has anyone else had problems running Defender of the Crown on a machine
    with Mega ROMS?  It used to be fine on my 1040 (except for a few trying
    moments when it told me my master disk was a copy!), but crashes early and
    often on my new Mega 4.

(2) On a more serious note, the other night I had a Degas format file somehow
    turn into what the system thought was a folder.  I think I was using
    Neodesk's quick rename feature at the time but cannot be sure as the
    problem has not resurfaced.  Anyway, this "file/folder" loaded properly
    as the desktop background for Neodesk, but all system programs and other
    utilities (GEM desktop, Neodesk desktop,item selector, DCOPY, etc.) treated
    it as a folder.  Opening the "folder" showed it empty, but all all attempts
    to delete the thing failed.  I ended up saving everything but the bad file
    to floppy, zeroed my hard disk partition, and restored.  Has anyone else
    had something like this happen to them?  Can anyone tell me how to manually
    edit (with a sector editor) the partition's directory entries to simply
    turn the folder attribute (if there is such) off?

    BTW:  Neodesk is a must have desktop replacement for hard disk users.
          I like to compare its usefulness to the Universal Item Selector.
          You don't realize how much you like/depend on it until you have to
          use a machine that doesn't have it.  I am in no way affiliated with
          the makers of Neodesk except as a satisfied customer.

          Steve Goldstein    steveg@saic.com

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/06/91)

Anyone know where I can find Nitelite BBS (PD)?  If you can upload it
to atari.archive, that'd be great!

Anyone have any experience with Script, the word processor?  Has
anyone read any reviews?  I've seen this program at my dealer and it
looks pretty good, but it's difficult to critique a program without
REALLY using it, besides just playing around with it.  At first
glance, it looks pretty good.  Different fonts, importing of images.
Quick scrolling.  Automatic text formatting like Word on the Mac.
But, I couldn't figure out how to delete a page, or even a series of
lines without highlighting them with my mouse.  Any info would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan06.034220.15537@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>   Anyone have any experience with Script, the word processor?  Has
>   anyone read any reviews?  I've seen this program at my dealer and it
>   looks pretty good, but it's difficult to critique a program without
>   REALLY using it, besides just playing around with it.  At first
>   glance, it looks pretty good.  Different fonts, importing of images.
>   Quick scrolling.  Automatic text formatting like Word on the Mac.
>   But, I couldn't figure out how to delete a page, or even a series of
>   lines without highlighting them with my mouse.  Any info would be
>   greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

	Script is very appreciated in France and works really well. You
should also take a look to Script 2. It is distributed by the same company
(Application Systems ???) but it's not only a new release. It's a new prgm
compatible with the former one.

		Daniel

--
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Daniel Glazman , TDS                  | glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se            |

leo@mat500.uucp (C. Bullerdick) (01/10/91)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>Anyone have any experience with Script, the word processor?  Has
Yes, I have it, and it's really nice!

>Different fonts, importing of images.
It could use MANY different Signum-Fonts in one text, exchange fonts,
easy set font-attributes (sub-script, super-script...).
Images can be importet from PAC-Format, blocks can be cut out and resized...

>Automatic text formatting like Word on the Mac.
Yes, and fast, and online-spell-checking is possible with an accessory.

> delete a series of
>lines without highlighting them with my mouse.  Any info would be
Try <Control>+<Delete>.

>greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Some other features: page preview, internal printer driver, prints in
Signum-quality (or, if selected, with standard printer Fonts for fast
test-printing), address-import for mass-mailing, macros via mini-protos,
is VERY reliable (used it 6 months and have never seen bombs) and, last
but not least, it runs on the TT (in most if not all resolutions, tested
640*480 16-color and the ST-ones) where it really FLIES!!
My advice: take a close look! (and become impressed like me)

>--
>   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
>   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
>  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

Tschau,
Christian.

PS: I have no connections to the ones who have made Script, i'm just a
    statisfied user.