[comp.sys.atari.st] eprom cartridge

meijer@nvpna1.prl.philips.nl (Otto Meijer) (12/31/90)

	I just build a eprom cartridge for my ST but i have some
	problems now. I would like to put a few programs there
	(gulam, pinhead etc) i know this should be possible.
	But how do i make the file which should be placed in
	the four roms? My epromburner (DELA) can't do this for me,
	so my question is how do i put these files in one big
	file, or has someone a program which does this?
	Thank you for reading this.

	Otto Meijer		Tel: (7)42667
	WAGp 324		meijer::nvpnaa
	Nat.Lab.		meijer@prle.prl.philips.nl
	Holland			Nice hardware !!!

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/01/91)

------
>  Otto Meijer  Tel: (7)42667
>  WAGp 324  meijer::nvpnaa
>  Nat.Lab.  meijer@prle.prl.philips.nl
>  Holland   Nice hardware !!!

------
Well you can't just put Normal programs into a E-Prom, as most programs
would need some ram to work with, also the Rom Code would not be
relocatable, but then the Rom code could be copied to Ram, but what
would be the piont of this, most program would encase the ram needed
within its self, this would not work with Rom programs...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

jmack@b11.ingr.com (Cery McCormick) (01/02/91)

> ------
> Well you can't just put Normal programs into a E-Prom, as most programs
> would need some ram to work with, also the Rom Code would not be
> relocatable, but then the Rom code could be copied to Ram, but what
> would be the piont of this, most program would encase the ram needed
> within its self, this would not work with Rom programs...

	You CAN put programs (supposedly, I've never tried it.) in EPROM
and plug them into the Cartridge port. The ST will treat the Cartridge as if
it were another storage device like the floppy or hard disk. Look in
ATARI ST Internals (page 97) for a discussion on how to put programs
in EPROM.

Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jon Clarke) (01/06/91)

There is a program out in the Public Domain called "junior Prommer"
which allows for just this to happen.

When you set up the programs you want to run from ram drive you place
them in an folder. The software then asks you if this is to be a rom
drive if you answer yes it copies the who directory to rom. If you are
using 27128's it will not be a problem but if you go to 27256 you will
have to manually switch it.

Also you may add an auto folder with what ever you wish as the ST on
boot up looks for a cart before the floppy drive. Thus this will allow
you to boot from your ROM drive in the cart.

Jounior Prommer is marketed by Merlin Computer GMBH in Germany. I use
here version 2.31 with the CT eprom burner and have no problem at all
with it.

Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz STT@kcbbs.gen.nz  72000.3555@compuserve.com.usa
       GEnie : J.Clarke6         Compuserve : 72000,3555
-------Where is Runciman?

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (01/07/91)

In <1991Jan6.150553.1954@kcbbs>, Jon Clarke writes:

>When you set up the programs you want to run from ram drive you place
>them in an folder. The software then asks you if this is to be a rom
>drive if you answer yes it copies the who directory to rom. If you are
>using 27128's it will not be a problem but if you go to 27256 you will
>have to manually switch it.
>
>Also you may add an auto folder with what ever you wish as the ST on
>boot up looks for a cart before the floppy drive. Thus this will allow
>you to boot from your ROM drive in the cart.

	I guess this means all info is still copied to ram on boot-up though.
It would be faster than hard drive, but memory usage by programs like
Neodesk and Gemini would remain unchanged. Or am I missing something?

>Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz STT@kcbbs.gen.nz  72000.3555@compuserve.com.usa
>       GEnie : J.Clarke6         Compuserve : 72000,3555

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jon Clarke) (01/10/91)

John Henders: Re the rom disk

John no you read my message wrong or I posted it wrong. I was refering
to the blowing of the _rom_disk_  not the actual execution of the rom
disk.  As in the making of a eprom for your rom cart to become a rom
disk.

It is faster than a Hard disk or a floppy disk , well it has to be with
direct cpu access . So no a rom disk is far faster than a hard disk.

Mind you John you did bring a good point to bare and one I asked rick
from Gribnif last year about [the makers of neodesk] why not put neodesk
in ROM ?  It works for me.