[comp.sys.atari.st] Max of 113 files in a subdirectory: fact or fiction?

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan09.215647.5890@convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:

>In article <1991Jan9.090428.29529@wam.umd.edu> dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net (David M. Baggett) writes:
>>It's DOS (and therefore, for compatibility, TOS) that has the file
>>limit restriction.  Only 113 files in a FAT.  Or is it 112?  In any
>>case, don't ask me why.

>i thought this restriction was only for the root directory of a disk,
>not subdirectories. but my memory, as usual, is fuzzy, and i have no
>way right now of verifying this. i know u can have more than 113 files
>in a hd partition, though i can't be sure if u can have more than
>113 files in total on a floppy, even if they are in directories. easy
>enuf to test, however.

Well, I seem to recall running into the 113 file limit when archiving
(once again) HacMan II -- I couldn't have all the files in a single
directory at once because there were more than 113.  I tried to copy
the whole mess into d:\usr\games\hacman2\dist\ (i.e., not a root
directory) and got an error code (I forget the number) when gulam hit
the 113th file or so.

I guess it could be gulam, or maybe I did something odd.  I don't think
any of the archivers themselves impose a restriction on # of files; I
just meant that since you can't have more than 113 files in a single
directory (under TOS), a potential standard archiver must be able to
handle subdirs easily, otherwise we won't be able to archive things
consisting of more than 112 files on all machines.

>                         . i distinctly remember lharc taking 6 min on
>a file that zoo did in around 2 min. still, it was a long time ago, so
>this is more of an impression than fact.

That time comparison sounds about right.  There's simply no denying
that LZH encoding takes considerably more CPU time than whatever
methods Arc and Zoo employ.  I don't know why this is since I
haven't looked at the algorithms.

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (01/11/91)

GEMDOS imposes no limits to the number of files you can have in a
subdirectory. The only limit is disk space: the directory file itself
needs to grow as more files are added to it.  Under some versions of
TOS, the Desktop will not show more than N files in one folder, but
that's a Desktop limit, not a GEMDOS limit.  Gulam might also gag if it
finds a large number of files in a directory, or if it's asked to copy
a large number of files, but I have not had that problem, and I've used
it to copy large numbers of files (>1000 total, >100 in some
directories).

Root directories do have a limited number of slots for files; this
number is fixed at the time you format the disk.  It's often 128 or so.

boblu@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Robert Luneski) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.084308.13614@wam.umd.edu> dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net (David M. Baggett) writes:
>In article <1991Jan09.215647.5890@convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
>>
>>In article <1991Jan9.090428.29529@wam.umd.edu> dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net (David M. Baggett) writes:
>>>It's DOS (and therefore, for compatibility, TOS) that has the file
>>>limit restriction.  Only 113 files in a FAT.  Or is it 112?  In any
>>>case, don't ask me why.
>
>>i thought this restriction was only for the root directory of a disk,
>>not subdirectories. but my memory, as usual, is fuzzy, and i have no
>>way right now of verifying this. i know u can have more than 113 files
>>in a hd partition, though i can't be sure if u can have more than
>>113 files in total on a floppy, even if they are in directories. easy
>>enuf to test, however.

The limitation of 112 files is restricted to the number of files in the
root directory of a floppy disk. The root directory of an ST floppy typically
occupies 7 sectors and each directory entry takes 32 bytes so 7*512/32 = 112
maximum number of directory entries.  The root directory of hard disks
typically occupy 16 sectors yeilding a maximum of 256 root directory entries.
These numbers could be increased or decreased with a custom formatter but
are usually sufficient for most users.

There is no restriction(subject of course to the available disk space) to the
number directory entries in a subdirectory.  However, some TOS versions can
only display and access from the desktop(or file selector) a limited number
of files.  The additional files are really there and can be accessed
normally through shells such as Gulam or Neodesk which allows you to augment
TOS's limited display capability.

/\/\/\    Bob Luneski                                                   /\/\/\
\/\/\/    Diamond Back II Support Hotlines: boblu@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM     \/\/\/
 \/\/     Genie: B.LUNESKI1  CompuServe: 76635,2310                      \/\/