[comp.sys.atari.st] More than 113 files??

Daniel_Roedding@fiction.ms.sub.org (01/13/91)

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) writes:

> Well, I seem to recall running into the 113 file limit when archiving
> (once again) HacMan II -- I couldn't have all the files in a single
> directory at once because there were more than 113.  I tried to copy
> the whole mess into d:\usr\games\hacman2\dist\ (i.e., not a root
> directory) and got an error code (I forget the number) when gulam hit
> the 113th file or so.

Hmmm ... i've got a lot of subdirs with 300, 400 or even 500 files. Neither
GEMDOS nor the DeskTop (in ver 1.04) make any problem, there's no problem
to use ARC to create an archive on all these files.

In earlier TOS versions the desktop had a limit of max. 395 files in all
currently opened windows. Trying to show more was quite bomby...

GEMDOS should make any problems since subdirectories are stored like
regular files (the entry with the name of the directory contains the # of
the first data cluster, the rest is done via the FAT).

> I guess it could be gulam, or maybe I did something odd.  I don't think
> any of the archivers themselves impose a restriction on # of files; I
> just meant that since you can't have more than 113 files in a single
> directory (under TOS), a potential standard archiver must be able to
> handle subdirs easily, otherwise we won't be able to archive things
> consisting of more than 112 files on all machines.

Be careful when using Gulam!! If you enter a command line like

        arc a arcname *.txt

and there are a lot of *.txt-files in your CWD, the arc utility receives
a bad file list, since gulam tries to expand "*.txt". If this list is lar-
ger than 127 chars, you'll get a cmd line overflow (gulam doesn't care!).

        arc a arcname '*.txt'

will do better in such cases.

Daniel