[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Lynx

tech002@.ucsc.edu (10020002) (01/12/91)

I know this isn't exactly the right place to put this but I don't know what
is.  I just recently got an Atari Lynx video game machine and was wondering
if anyone out there knows anything about it's internals.  What kind of CPu
does it have, what speed, other interesting tidbits.  I'm really impressed
with the machine but I hope that Atari's support is better than they have
with the ST and I don't get stuck with a machine with no available cartridges.
Thanks for any help in advance.

              Roman Baker
	      University of California, Santa Cruz

jjung@aludra.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (01/13/91)

In article <10977@darkstar.ucsc.edu> tech002@.ucsc.edu (10020002) writes:
>I know this isn't exactly the right place to put this but I don't know what
>is.

  rec.games.video would be the most appropriate, but do go on.

>  I just recently got an Atari Lynx video game machine and was wondering
>if anyone out there knows anything about it's internals.  What kind of CPu
>does it have, what speed, other interesting tidbits.

  TYhe January/February 1991 issue of ATARI EXPLORER has an extensive article
on the internals of the Lynx. Fun reading for EE types, go grab a copy.

>  I'm really impressed
>with the machine but I hope that Atari's support is better than they have
>with the ST and I don't get stuck with a machine with no available cartridges.

  Lynx support is better than ST support (and I own both!), I think. There's
16 games out now, a bunch coming soon in the first quarter of '91, third-party
games on the horizon, and the recent COMDEX announcement of a smaller/cheaper
Lynx II ($99) and the price reduction of the Lynx ($149). If Atari drops the
ball with this machine, it'll be inexcusable.

  I'm impressed with the machine, too.

                                                --R.J.
                                                B-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    # ## #		Send replies to jjung@nunki.usc.edu
    # ## #
   ## ## ##		I wrote this. If you've got a comment, give
####  ##  ####		it to me and let's cut out the middleman.

//////////////////////////////////////|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Send whatevers to jjung@nunki.usc.edu | If it has pixels, I'm for it.
--------------------------------------+----------------------------Lynx me up!
       "If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway."

vanleejf@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (James Van Leeuwen) (01/13/91)

In article <10977@darkstar.ucsc.edu> tech002@.ucsc.edu (10020002) writes:

>I know this isn't exactly the right place to put this but I don't know what
>is.  I just recently got an Atari Lynx video game machine and was wondering
>if anyone out there knows anything about it's internals.  What kind of CPu
>does it have, what speed, other interesting tidbits.  I'm really impressed
>with the machine but I hope that Atari's support is better than they have
>with the ST and I don't get stuck with a machine with no available cartridges.
>Thanks for any help in advance.

Roman,

Check out the new issue of Atari Explorer (January/February 1991).  It has
about 16 pages on the Lynx (half of which is on the internals and development
information).  I also just read, from Z*Net, that about another 16 cartridges
are expected in either the first or second quarter this year, in addition to
the 16 already available.  It actually looks encouraging (no wait, I didn't
just say that, did I?).

Jim

--
"We didn't start the fire,   /   ___/_                           Jim Van Leeuwen
 it was always burning      /   /  /  \                 The University of Dayton

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (01/13/91)

Following this Lynx stuff, didn't I read that the Lynx price was to be
lowered to about $99 soon?  I am planning on buying one, but $179 seems to
be a little much for me right now...

                                Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (01/13/91)

Troy Carpenter asks:
>Following this Lynx stuff, didn't I read that the Lynx price was to be
>lowered to about $99 soon?  I am planning on buying one, but $179 seems to
>be a little much for me right now...

No...  the Lynx price will be lowered to $149...

The $99 price will be for the Lynx II ...  a "someday" to be released unit
that will be smaller than the original Lynx.  My understanding is that it
will be "Gameboy" sized, without the ability to turn it over for "Left Handed
operation.

BobR

(By the way, has anyone actually *SEEN* all these 16 Lynx cartridges that
are supposed to be "available"..?   I've seen Slime World and Road Blasters
in a local Electronics Boutique.... waaay in the back, past the WALL of
games for Gameboy, Nintendo, Sega and NEC...  but not 16 Lynx games in
all...)

In article <37966@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Troy Carpenter asks:
>>Following this Lynx stuff, didn't I read that the Lynx price was to be
>>lowered to about $99 soon?  I am planning on buying one, but $179 seems to
>>be a little much for me right now...
>
>No...  the Lynx price will be lowered to $149...
>The $99 price will be for the Lynx II ...  a "someday" to be released unit
>that will be smaller than the original Lynx.

  Where "someday" is "relatively soon", especially with the portable video
game market getting crowded. Even at $150, the Lynx is a fun buy, with lots
of neat gaming features the other systems don't offer.

>(By the way, has anyone actually *SEEN* all these 16 Lynx cartridges that
>are supposed to be "available"..?   I've seen Slime World and Road Blasters
>in a local Electronics Boutique.... waaay in the back, past the WALL of
>games for Gameboy, Nintendo, Sega and NEC...  but not 16 Lynx games in
>all...)

  Don't be so pessimistic; the 16 games exist -- I *OWN* all of them:

CALIFORNIA GAMES	BLUE LIGHTNING		GATES OF ZENDOCON
CHIP'S CHALLENGE	GAUNTLET III		ELECTROCOP
SLIME WORLD		KLAX			RYGAR
RAMPAGE			ZARLOR MERCENARY	XENOPHOBE
ROADBLASTERS		ROBO-SQUASH		MS. PAC-MAN
			PAPERBOY

  Come over sometime, I'll let you play 'em.  B-)  I know you take positive
Atari news with a bag of salt, Bob, but let's not discourage Atari from
doing something right.

                                                --R.J.
                                                B-)

//////////////////////////////////////|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Send whatevers to jjung@nunki.usc.edu | If it has pixels, I'm for it.
--------------------------------------+----------------------------Lynx me up!
       "If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway."

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (01/14/91)

Robert Jung replied to my question about availability of Lynx games:
>  Don't be so pessimistic; the 16 games exist -- I *OWN* all of them:

That's the kind of info I was looking for...  no one else I've talked with
has seen all 16 Lynx games... it's reassuring that they've actually been
released..!

BobR

ronw@cbnewsk.att.com (ronald.g.wolenty) (01/14/91)

In article <37992@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
> Robert Jung replied to my question about availability of Lynx games:
> >  Don't be so pessimistic; the 16 games exist -- I *OWN* all of them:
>
> That's the kind of info I was looking for...  no one else I've talked with
> has seen all 16 Lynx games... it's reassuring that they've actually been
> released..!
etter head to your local Electronic Boutique - I saw #17 Shanghai for
the Lynx this weekend.

Darin.Arrick@ijcr.fidonet.org (Darin Arrick) (01/14/91)

To: tech002@ucsc.edu

About the Lynx internals, pick up a copy of Atari Explorer magazine
(Jan/Feb '91). It has an article about the Lynx internals. Sounds like
a nice little machine to program. Do you have an Amiga 2000 w/3MB RAM
to program it with (yes, that's its official developmen system.)
w3
--- QuickBBS 2.66 (Reg)
 * Origin: I.J.C.R. BBS & B'nai No'ach [Ft.Worth, Texas] (1:130/49)

--
Darin Arrick - via Fidonet node 1:130/49
UUCP: ...!merch!ijcr!Darin.Arrick

mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton John) (01/14/91)

If you want to see all the available games for the Lynx at one
place, go to a Good Guys. And at our store, we have them up
front...

--
the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA

      Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US