[comp.sys.atari.st] GNU C

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (08/19/88)

I've just finished posting my port of GCC, the GNU C compiler, to the
lakesys!netlib server.  The posting consists of 6 ARCs; as follows:

GCX-1-23.ARC		Executables (gcc, cccp, cc1, ld, gas, ar)
GCC-1-23.ARC		Compiler sources
GAS-1-20.ARC		Assembler sources
GNULIB.ARC		Sources and OLB of the runtime library
GNUUTILS.ARC		Make, LD, and random stuff
BISON.ARC		Bison

There's also a blurb file that gives an overview of the whole works, and
should explain which pieces you'll need for what you want to do; for
instance you won't need the compiler sources unless you want to rebuild
the compiler.

What's there seems to work pretty well; I've been using it (in various
versions) for about 6 months.  It even generates pretty good code.  Read
the blurb file, and look at README.ST in each ARC for details on
installing and using the stuff in that ARC.

Enjoy!

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (08/20/88)

In article <19880819161930.0.JRD@MOA.SCRC.Symbolics.COM> jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) writes:
>I've just finished posting my port of GCC, the GNU C compiler, to the
>lakesys!netlib server.  The posting consists of 6 ARCs; as follows:
>
>GCX-1-23.ARC		Executables (gcc, cccp, cc1, ld, gas, ar)
>GCC-1-23.ARC		Compiler sources
>GAS-1-20.ARC		Assembler sources
>GNULIB.ARC		Sources and OLB of the runtime library
>GNUUTILS.ARC		Make, LD, and random stuff
>BISON.ARC		Bison

============

All of the above will be available today via netlib, EXCEPT for GCC-1-23.ARC.

The ARC itself is almost 1.5 Meg. I'll make it available when I can break it
down into more manageable pieces.

Please remember to keep the size of your requests down to appease the net
gods. PLEASE keep your requests under 10 file parts per day for this
application. It is VERY large.

I would appreciate it if the administrators of the other file servers would
contact me. I'll be happy to send them John's work for their servers.

Marty Wiedmeyer
martin@lakesys.UUCP
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (08/23/88)

eh, how shall one get those arc files from this netlib server ??
i think its a lot ?!
--
Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume

acn@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (08/24/88)

    Howard Chu and I have been running an archive of Atari ST
files for students and faculty of the University of Michigan. We
are now almost ready to go public and service the world.

    We are an ideal site for an archive. We have unlimited
computing time and nearly unlimited disk storage on our mainframe.
We are accessable via Bitnet and will soon be accessable through
FTP. The host is at the hub of the new NSFnet, and our Internet
connectivity is unbeatable. We haven't found a good way for UUCP
sites to get at the archives yet, but that too will come soon.

    At the moment, we are in the process of collecting more
software to put in the archives. Recently, a lot of people have
been posting news of new ports (gnuchess, gcc, moria, nethack,
etc.) We'd like to get a copy of all of those and all of the other
new ports for the archives. If you have software that you'd like
to post to our archive, then please mail it or ftp it to me.

    If you want to submit a program by mail then send it to:
                     dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu

    If you want to ftp to it to me then do this...
                         ftp 35.195.16.2
                            Name: FTP
                        Password: WHATEVER
                 Then send us whatever you got...
        {grab some stuff for yourself while you're at it}

    Remember, we have unlimited disk space so size is no object.
(ie, 1.5 megs of arced GCC sources are no problem) If you have any
questions about the technical aspects of our service, ask Howard.
(hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu). If you have questions about the files or
how/what to submit, ask me.

              Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu
                  Moderator of the PC7 archives
                 Organizer of the PC7 conference
           President of the Washtenaw Atari Users Group

acn@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (08/29/88)

We have all of the files of John's GCC port here, available for ftp. Ftp
to 35.195.16.2 (euterpe.math.lsa.umich.edu), sign in as ftp and give a
password. After that, cd to atari. There should be a lot of stuff there
including all of the GCC files. Feel free to take anyting that's there.
The programs are free, but use of the machine isn't. You must send us new
files for the archives we're setting up. Alright, so you don't *have* to,
but we'd appreciate it. We're still looking for nethack and gnuchess and
all of the other "K-K001" ports that everyone hs been bragging about.

Also there is diff.arc and patch.arc also uploaded to us by John Dunning.

Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu
Moderator of PC7, President of WAUG

acn@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (08/30/88)

It appears that I wasn't quite clear in my last posting. The archive at
Euterpe is only a temporary archive where people can submit programs et
cetera before our "real" archive opens. Thus, it is a mess and there is
no index. Its a shareware archive, if you find something useful there
then send something back. All GCC stuff is there, so is Flex, Diff and
Patch.

Second, if you want to submit something via BITNET then send things to
USERPC7@UMICHUM.BITNET .  We aren't ready to send out files yet, but if
you want to submit a file, that's the place.

Jon Brode  ---  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu
  Moderator of PC7, President of WAUG

jackin@vehka.uta.fi (Markku M{enp{{) (12/12/89)

I've asked this once, but to no avail. So I'll ask it again.

Where can I find Gnu C for ST ? I can FTP.

Thanks,

! Markku M{enp{{ ! University of Tampere, Finland !

ERIC_DANNEWITZ@bdt.UUCP (03/18/90)

Do anyone know where one can get the latest Version of GNU C ? I'd like to
find a BBS in 415/408 area or a kind sould who could mail (* SNAIL/EMAIL *)
it to me....

Thanks

dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David Koski) (11/21/90)

Has anyone out there been able to get GNU C to compile a decently large file?
I got GCC off of atari archive and installed it on my HD, and compiled a
couple benchmarks, but when I tried to anything larger than about 120 lines
it ran out of memory.  I stripped my system to the bare minimum and had about
850K left over (out of 1 meg), but this only gave me the ability to compile
about another 40 lines.  BTW, when I use optimization, I can compile files
that are <50 lines.

Please help!

David Koski

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (11/21/90)

++   Has anyone out there been able to get GNU C to compile a decently large file?

Yes, on an ST larger than 1Mb. Sorry, that's the way it is, GCC is
memory-hungry.

Cheers.

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (11/21/90)

In article <493@organpipe.UUCP> dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David
Koski) writes:
> Has anyone out there been able to get GNU C to compile a decently
large file?
> I got GCC off of atari archive and installed it on my HD, and compiled
> couple benchmarks, but when I tried to anything larger than about 120
lines
> it ran out of memory.  I stripped my system to the bare minimum and
had about
> 850K left over (out of 1 meg), but this only gave me the ability to
compile
> about another 40 lines.  BTW, when I use optimization, I can compile
files
> that are <50 lines.
>
> Please help!
>
> David Koski

From the remarks that i have seen on here you need at least
2 Megs...

Roger W. Sheppard ___ New Zealand___

lynbech@daimi.aau.dk (Christian Lynbech) (11/22/90)

About the problems with GCC reporting file not found:

Last night I was succesfull in getting my gcc to compile hello.c.
I'm using Gulam and a version of GNUC that I think is identical to
the one on atari.archive.

My environment setup is as follows:

	GNUINC = /gnuc/gccincl/
        GNULIB = /gnuc/gcclib/
	GCCEXEC = /gnuc/gccexec/gcc-
	TEMP = /temp/

The folder 'gnuc' ordinary path is 'd:\gnuc\' and temp has
'd:\temp\'.
I think what has gone on is that GCC takes a path to be relative
to the root directory, not knowing the d: drive specification.
The result is that GCC can't find the preprocessor, even though
it reports $(TEMP)/cc100000.cpp as the one missing (a bug perhaps?)

I haven't done any much testing, so I don't know if there is an easy way
to distribute the files on several drives (e.g. by using /dev/C/).
I know however that the slashes at the end of GNUIC, GNULIB and TEMP
can be dropped.

Christian Lynbech

Computer Science Department of Aarhus University
Denmark

email: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk

be@arium.stgt.sub.org (Bernd Ebach) (11/24/90)

In article <GJH.90Nov21104158@ghiggins.hpl.hp.com> gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com
(Graham Higgins) writes:
(Sender was: news@hplb.hpl.hp.com)

> ++   Has anyone out there been able to get GNU C to compile a decently large file?
>
> Yes, on an ST larger than 1Mb. Sorry, that's the way it is, GCC is
> memory-hungry.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, unfortunatly all GNU-Stuff is... :-(

TschauTschau
                Bernd
--
     Bernd Ebach, Blarerstr. 1, 7ooo Stuttgart 5o, Germany
 try some of these:                    be@arium.stgt.sub.org

jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) (11/27/90)

I encountered the problem, too. My trouble was that I
originally used a version of ZOO that converted '-' filename
characters to '_', and hadn't noticed the difference. The ZOO from
the atari.archive doesn't do this. After I renamed the gcc-<x> files
it ran OK.
--
Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134

cse0507@desire.wright.edu (01/14/91)

Greetings.  Would someone be willing to email me a listing of their
directory tree and environment variables for GNU C?  Actually, several
someones would be even more helpful.  Terminator doesn't seem to have the
requisite information on it.  Thanks mucho.
                        Bob The Schulze
Clever .sigs verboten.