[comp.sys.atari.st] moria problems

asedm@acad3.alaska.edu (Ed Miller) (01/16/91)

In article <11219@helios.TAMU.EDU>, maf4003@summa.tamu.edu (FITCH, MICHAEL ANTHONY) writes...

>	Recently, I acquired and subsequently became addicted to the st-port of
>Moria (version 4.8? I think).  It's a great game but the problem is that it is
>very flaky about executing - sometimes it works flawlessly the first time but
>frequently it appears to have loaded in properly (ie. the map is visible, etc)
>but after about 8-10 keystrokes (for movement) the whole thing locks-up.  This
>is especially irritating because it takes 5-10 minutes to re-boot, recover char
>files, etc.
>	I am running it on a 520stfm w/ 1meg and TOS 1.2 with no desk access-
>ories or ram disk installed so I am completely baffled.  Any suggestions or sim-
>ilar problems out there???
>
>						Adios,
>
>							Michael Fitch

I've noticed this as well, I have a 1040 STf and TOS 1.0 :-(

bro@impala.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) (01/16/91)

In article <11219@helios.TAMU.EDU> maf4003@summa.tamu.edu writes:
[re: Moria (version 4.8? I think) ... ]
>but after about 8-10 keystrokes (for movement) the whole thing locks-up.

I seem to recall reports on Moria having a problem with machines that were
freshly booted and had not set the time and date. Something to do with using
timestamps in randomizing things leading to some blow-up. Try setting the
time and date and see if that fixes the problem.

Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.

suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (01/16/91)

In article <11219@helios.TAMU.EDU> maf4003@summa.tamu.edu (FITCH, MICHAEL ANTHONY) writes:

[Explanation of moria v 4.87(?) problems removed]

   Any suggestions or similar problems out there???

I haven't that problem with my moria 4.87 you (ans someone else have had). BUT
I know what to do (Thanks to Mr. Wilson who had made the port to ST):

You have to set the time in your ST before you start playing!!! moria
uses ST clock to seed the random number generator and with some values the
generator (not sure) will blow up... I think it depends on minutes, but I'm
not sure.

Hope this helps,

--
Timo Suhonen       I am logged in, therefore I am         suhonen@nic.funet.fi
                                                          suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.171931.6845@ims.alaska.edu> asedm@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>In article <11219@helios.TAMU.EDU>, maf4003@summa.tamu.edu (FITCH, MICHAEL ANTHONY) writes...
>>
>>	Recently, I acquired and subsequently became addicted to the st-port of
>>Moria (version 4.8? I think).  It's a great game but the problem is that it is
>>very flaky about executing - sometimes it works flawlessly the first time but
>>frequently it appears to have loaded in properly (ie. the map is visible, etc)
>>but after about 8-10 keystrokes (for movement) the whole thing locks-up.  This
>>is especially irritating because it takes 5-10 minutes to re-boot, recover char
>>files, etc.
>>	I am running it on a 520stfm w/ 1meg and TOS 1.2 with no desk access-
>>ories or ram disk installed so I am completely baffled.  Any suggestions or sim-
>>ilar problems out there???
>>
>>						Adios,
>>
>>							Michael Fitch
>
>I've noticed this as well, I have a 1040 STf and TOS 1.0 :-(

One mention I email, 2 I post.  I made a mistake with the random number gen-
erator in umoria 4.87.  If it gets a seed of 0 in one of its 3 sections, it
goes into a tight loop.  If the date/time (which is used as a seed) is left
at the default startup value, that happens.  The solution is to set the date/
time before starting the game.  Unfortunately, when the game was first
distributed over usenet, I mentioned in the cover note to the posting that
it was important to set the date/time (I didn't then know HOW important), but
didn't put it INSIDE the distribution package.

In any event, new versions of umoria are ready.  I think (hubris) it's reason-
able to wait about 2 weeks for the one I compiled, which gets support from
me, and which seems clean, even when I look for bugs.

                                         Steve J.