[comp.sys.atari.st] Viking moniterm

hofmann@cbnewse.att.com (james.r.hofmann) (01/15/91)

I would like to know how the people using the Viking Moniterm (or
equivalent) like it. Specifically, what are the limitations (programs
that won't run, etc.). How do showdvi, gulam, mg, etc. perform with
the monitor?

This information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jim Hofmann
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, IL

rosenqui@crc.skl.dnd.ca (Eric Rosenquist) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan15.140123.3570@cbnewse.att.com> hofmann@cbnewse.att.com (james.r.hofmann) writes:
>I would like to know how the people using the Viking Moniterm (or
>equivalent) like it. Specifically, what are the limitations (programs
>that won't run, etc.). How do showdvi, gulam, mg, etc. perform with
>the monitor?

I've had a Moniterm for about a year and love it.  I've had a bit of
trouble with the unit itself, but that's because I bought a "slightly
used" one from Moniterm at a special developer's discount.  The
monitor itself is of first-rate quality.  It may seem expensive
compared to those $799 dual-page monitors you see advertised in
MacWorld etc., but the picture quality is second to none (the TT 19"
monochrome is also top-notch).

I don't have experience with the rest of the programs you mentioned,
but gulam works quite nicely on it.  My only complaint is that gulam
likes to keep the cursor positioned at the bottom of the screen, even
if you clear the screen, so it has to scroll the whole 150K of screen
every time.  Gulam even recognizes the 160x50 screen so that the
output of 'ls' etc. use the full screen width.

Most true GEM programs work rather nicely, I can vouch for the ones I
use regularly:

  STalker/STeno
  Spectre (GCR & 128) [all the Mac stuff I've tried uses the big screen]
  NeoDesk 2.05 and 3.x
  HotWire and all the other CodeHead stuff
  WordFlair
  Timeworks DTP
  TrackerST mailing list s/w
  LDW Power (a joy on the big screen!)
  Turbo C 2.x (German)
  LGSelect and UIS III file selectors
  Idle 2.x PD screen saver
  ARCShell
  QuickST II or the TurboST Moniterm version

Many TOS programs work perfectly, or work with minor screen mess ups.
It's impossible to know until you try however.

A reasonably good test to make with your favorite s/w before buying a
Moniterm would be to try the programs with one of the software-based
big screen emulators.  If the program handles the simulated screen
well you've got about a 75% chance of it working on the real thing.
Programs that do screen flipping or their own scrolling often look
like they're working since the physical screen is the same size as
normal, but fail with a real Moniterm.

Eric