[comp.sys.atari.st] Q: Rodney's UUCP Modules

roberson@aurs01.uucp (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (01/16/91)

I have a few problems with Rodney's UUCP Modules (RUM, aka Mercury UUCP).

1) The config file (/etc/config.sys) doesn't allow your uucp site name to
be different from the hostname in your domain.  For example, my uucp site
name is arenic, but my domain name is nic.aren.org.  Line 0002 wants my
site name and line 0004 wants my domain.  It's a no win situation for
me.  Any suggestions?

2) The host I call has a delay before the login comes up so I really
need to be able to do "\d\d\r\d\r ogin:" in my send-expect script.
However, it doesn't look like Rodney's modules do send expect.  Is this
correct or is there a way to do it?

3) While running poll.g (as per the short English docs) I get error
messages about not being able to alloc 1024000 (approx) bytes of memory.
It then tells me to try fold100.prg to fix the problem.  Are these
modules designed to be run in a 1meg system?

4) My feed wants to be able to call me.  Is there a way to make RUM
go into a mode where it waits for incoming calls until I kill it?

5) Once I invoke login, it seems that I have to reboot to get out.
Is this true?  Is there some graceful and protected way to tell login
to return me to it's outer context?

6) Has a version of UUCP been ported over for MiNT?

thanks,
 -chip
* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>

geoffc.zebedee@tharr.uucp (Geoffrey Coan) (01/17/91)

In article <59444@aurs01.UUCP> roberson@aurs01.uucp
(Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:
(Sender was: news@aurs01.UUCP)
> From: roberson@aurs01.uucp (Charles "Chip" Roberson)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
> Subject: Q: Rodney's UUCP Modules
> Date: 16 Jan 91 05:10:11 GMT
> Sender: news@aurs01.UUCP
>
> I have a few problems with Rodney's UUCP Modules (RUM, aka Mercury UUCP).

I can't answer all your questions, but I can say that the mercury UUCP
package does work.  This is being posted on my ST which is now running mercury
- I had a LOT of problems in getting it to work correctly though !

> 2) The host I call has a delay before the login comes up so I really
> need to be able to do "\d\d\r\d\r ogin:" in my send-expect script.
> However, it doesn't look like Rodney's modules do send expect.  Is this
> correct or is there a way to do it?

No idea, I had to set atx3 in my hosts file otherwise it would'nt login
correctly (the modem replies from atx4 were not recognised).  I think you
can hit return when connected and it will be sent to the host (ie: it listens
to what you type while attempting connection).

> 3) While running poll.g (as per the short English docs) I get error
> messages about not being able to alloc 1024000 (approx) bytes of memory.
> It then tells me to try fold100.prg to fix the problem.  Are these
> modules designed to be run in a 1meg system?

I have a 1Mb ST and I didnt get this problem.  However, I was running with 150
extra folders (via ICD utils) and I had a lot of '40 folder' type problems
after running the package.  I had to up it to 200, 250 and now 500 - so far
no problems.

> 4) My feed wants to be able to call me.  Is there a way to make RUM
> go into a mode where it waits for incoming calls until I kill it?
No way that I know of.

> 5) Once I invoke login, it seems that I have to reboot to get out.
> Is this true?  Is there some graceful and protected way to tell login
> to return me to it's outer context?

I only call it as 'login username', if you just run 'login' on its own it
seems to get stuck.

> thanks,
>  -chip
> * Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
> * (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
> * (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
> #include <disclaimer.h>

Good luck with using the package, now that I have full read/write news &
mail it's great !  Think I need a faster modem though !

Geoffrey
are you ready to SKYDIVE ??                                       Geoffrey Coan
well all right then, if you say so ...        ..!ukc!axion!tharr!zebedee!geoffc

<- UUCP'd from my ST via tharr; *free* UK public access to Usenet 0234 261804 ->