[comp.sys.atari.st] I need a good controller!

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/10/91)

In article <5258@husc6.harvard.edu> clubok@husc9.UUCP (Ken "The Snake"
Clubok) writes:
> Two Adaptec 4070 controllers have died on me in the last six months,
and
> I haven't even had my hard drive for a year!  Is it me, or are the
> Adaptec controllers poor quality?  Does anybody know of a better
> RLL controller?  And perhaps someplace I could purchase it?  Had any
> experience using it with an ICD host adapter?  Much thanks in advance.
> Please E-mail responses.
>
> Ken Clubok
> clubok@husc9.harvard.edu
> clubok@husc9.bitnet

The one that is talked about a lot is the OMTI  55xx, don't know the
full Part No. but they do 1:1 interleave with RLL,, From what I have
read the Adaptec can't, get some info from ICD, as they use this
Controller...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/17/91)

<1991Jan10.035158.234@actrix.gen.nz>
<91014.114610GERLOFF@DB0TUI11.BITNET>
Comment-To: GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de

In article <91014.114610GERLOFF@DB0TUI11.BITNET>
GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) writes:
> In article <1991Jan10.035158.234@actrix.gen.nz>,
> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz says:
> >
> >The one that is talked about a lot is the OMTI  55xx, don't know the
> >full Part No. but they do 1:1 interleave with RLL,, From what I have
> >read the Adaptec can't, get some info from ICD, as they use this
> >Controller...
> >

> Hello,
> I think the OMTI is a controller for a PC (correct me if I'm wrong),
so
> you can't use it with the ICD adaptor. Why aren't you buying a SCSI
> harddisk from Seagate, Quantum, Maxtor or ... an connect it directly
> the ICD?
> I'm using a Atari Megafile 30 which has a modified version of the
> Adaptec 4070 and have no problems.
>
> Greetings, Olaf

Note: a friend of mine is using a OMTI controler suplied by ICD, for use
with a ST506 type drive, he had the drives allready, so why would he
need to get other drives .???

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...