[comp.sys.atari.st] Novice questions about ST's and MIDI

SRPDSDJ@trev.dsir.govt.nz (01/18/91)

I have a series of questions about MIDI and Ataris in general.

Where I live the salespeople are basically unctuous, arrogant, facile fools
and will not aor perhaps could not answer my questions :-( .

What I want to know specifically is the following.
1) is a 520st powerful enough to run MIDI software. If not recommendations.
2) can a non-atari hard disk be installed on an atari. How and which ones.
3)  "     "   "    monitor   "      "      "    "       "   "    "     "

I am connected to the net but only via an IBM PC clone (386sx 80Mb HDD hence
the reason for asking about the hard drive above, I hate running machines
from floppies they are so slow in comparison, :-) )

4) Can this IBM clone uudecode, unarc, zoo extract etc, files from
   comp.binaries.atari.st and then save them in a format that the atari
   would then be able to read (I have a 3.5" floppy drive). If not are there
   any work arounds.
5) I have only recently begun reading this newsgroup, if there is a
   freqently asked questions file can anyone forward this or point me in the
   right direction.

All replies by email would be greatly appreciated?

Stephen Jones,          | Internet	: IN%"srpdsdj@pmv.dsir.govt.nz"
Palmerston North,	| PSI		: PSI%pmv.dsir.govt.nz::srpdsdj
New Zealand.		| "Kneel to the Boss"

Alex.Valdez@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/20/91)

In article <7950@trev.dsir.govt.nz> SRPDSDJ@trev.dsir.govt.nz writes:
> I have a series of questions about MIDI and Ataris in general.
>
> Where I live the salespeople are basically unctuous, arrogant, facile fools
> and will not aor perhaps could not answer my questions :-( .
>
> What I want to know specifically is the following.
> 1) is a 520st powerful enough to run MIDI software. If not recommendations.
Yes and no. As with nearly all applications, the more memory you have
the better. Also some programs will not run on 1/2 meg.
> 2) can a non-atari hard disk be installed on an atari. How and which ones.
Yes. I have a Supra myself.
> 3)  "     "   "    monitor   "      "      "    "       "   "    "     "
Yes. To run high-res though you would probably need an Atari one or a multi
sync.

> I am connected to the net but only via an IBM PC clone (386sx 80Mb HDD hence
> the reason for asking about the hard drive above, I hate running machines
> from floppies they are so slow in comparison, :-) )
>
> 4) Can this IBM clone uudecode, unarc, zoo extract etc, files from
>    comp.binaries.atari.st and then save them in a format that the atari
>    would then be able to read (I have a 3.5" floppy drive). If not are there
>    any work arounds.
Yes, if you format the floppy 720K.
> 5) I have only recently begun reading this newsgroup, if there is a
>    freqently asked questions file can anyone forward this or point me in the
>    right direction.
Far as I know there is none, at least I've never seen one.